Last Battle

Every Minute Counts

Bomi arrived five minutes earlier than the scheduled time in order to both prepare herself and make sure there were other people around acting as witness if anything bad was to happen. As tough as Bomi is, Bomi is still a girl.

 

Bomi breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that there was an elderly couple sitting there, holding hands. She couldn’t help but feel warm and fuzzy inside and wondered whether that could be her and Chorong in say… sixty years.

 

She stiffened when she heard a noise coming behind her. She turned around to see Yifan walking towards her with that same easy-going yet (at least in Bomi’s eyes) cocky smile.

 

(Unknownst to both of them, this was the scene that Chorong was witnessing.)

 

“Well, well, what have we got here. Bomi ah, I really don’t want to hurt you, but it seems like you’re not getting the message.” Yifan started talking as he continued to walk towards her. “So today, we’ll make it very clear who Chorong belongs to.”

 

Bomi gulped. She had to win this. She had to show him that Chorong belonged to her. She had to prove to herself that she could protect Chorong.

 

“You know Bomi. We both know that Chorong needs someone to protect her. And that someone has to be a guy.” Bomi felt like she just got stabbed in the heart. Yifan knew exactly what he was doing. He knew exactly how to get to her.

 

Yifan chose to take a soft approach. “Bomi ah. I know you like Chorong. I probably figured that out before you did yourself. But you aren’t going to be able to protect her. Look at me. I’ll be able to keep her safe and I promise she’ll be happy. If you really wanted her to be happy, you would’ve given up by now.”

 

Bomi was mad but at the same time, what Yifan was saying was getting through to her. Could she really do it? NO. She couldn’t give up.

 

Sensing that Bomi wasn’t going to give up, Yifan tensed up. “Bomi ah, I don’t want to hurt you.” As he was speaking, three others stepped out behind him. Bomi knew who they were. They were the Chinese foreign exchange students that sat with Yifan during lunch. What were they doing here.

 

As the four of them surrounded Bomi, Bomi realized the dilemma she was in. She looked over to the elderly couple who haven’t yet noticed the scene unfolding in front of them. How I wish I could be like them. There’s no way they’ll be able to save me. Nor would I want them to. They should be happy. They shouldn’t interfere.

 

“YOU LIED!” Bomi was scared, but she was also mad. She hated liars. “YOU TOLD YOU WOULDN’T BRING ANYONE!”

 

“Sorry Bomi, you’re just too gullible. A trait that’s not good when you’re trying to protect someone. AND, I didn’t say I wasn’t going to bring anyone. I told YOU not to bring anyone. Bomi ah Bomi, there’s a lot you still need to learn.”

 

The four boys were totally surrounding Bomi now. Bomi felt like crying. Every sentence that Yifan was saying was piercing her in the heart. No! I had promised to protect Chorong from Day 1. I’m not going to give up unless I’m dead!

 

Bomi prepared herself for the impact.

 

“Well it looks like we’ll have to solve this like men then.” Yifan said while cracking his knuckles.

 

“The usual way?” Bomi asked, a little too quietly.

 

“The usual way.” Yifan confirmed. “I hope you’re prepared.”

Bomi gave him a nod.

 

“Let’s lay out the rules. These three will act as witness and keep the score. Three rounds, two wins.” One of the boys, Lay, went to whisper something in Yifan’s ears. Yifan responded something in Chinese that Bomi didn’t understand.

 

Bomi wished that she had brought Eunji with her. Why Eunji? Bomi may be rich and friendly and popular, but other than Eunji and Chorong she really didn’t have any real friends. Bomi prepared herself.

 

“If you win, I’ll promise to get my hopes off of Chorong. I won’t flirt with her, I won’t bother her, I won’t compete against you. But since that won’t be happening, when I win, you’ll have to stay away from her and give up your hopes of ever getting her again.”

 

They shook on that.

 

“Ready?” Lay called out.

“Round one!” Tao declared.

“Start!” Luhan started the round.


 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 


 

“Rock, paper, scissor shoot!” Both stared at each other with intensity trying to figure the other out.

 

Bomi felt herself deflating a little. She had put out scissors while Yifan had put out rock.

There goes that grin again.

 

“Well Bomi, I guess me and Chorong are really fate. It’s OK to give up now.”

 

“Don’t get too cocky Wu Yifan. This is only the first round.” Bomi held her shoulders up high. She couldn’t and wouldn’t make herself look small in front of this guy.

 

Tao walked over to massage Yifan’s shoulders, the way they do in between boxing matches.

 

On the other hand, Bomi was completely alone. She calmed herself down and told herself to concentrate.

 

The three boys walked to the side again.

 

“Ready?”.

“Round dos!”

“Start!”

 

“What do you plan on putting out Bomi? Oppa will tell you, I’ll be putting out rock again.” Yifan told Bomi as they stood facing each other.

 

Bomi was furious. Who was he to be her oppa? That self-delusional guy who thinks he know it all.

 

“You’re trying to trick me.” Bomi spat out. Yifan smirked. Bomi hated this feeling in her stomach. What if she lost. He says he’ll put out rock, but what if he puts out scissors when I put out paper? Or what if he does put out rock but I put out scissors again. What if… Yoon Bomi you can’t overthink this. He’s trying to mess with you. Do what you feel is right!

 

“Rock, paper, scissor shoot!”

 

Bomi had put out paper. Yifan had put out rock.

 

“Let’s quit the pretense Wu Yifan. Let’s just start round three.” Bomi was getting impatient.

 

“Feisty aren’t we? Not my style.” Wu Yifan agreed to Bomi’s suggestion.

 

“Rock, paper, scissor shoot!”

 

.

.

.

 

Bomi has done it. She had won!

 

Yifan looked around with a defeated smile.He was about to speak when Bomi interrupted him.

 

“Just stick with your promise Wu Yifan.” Bomi turned around to start walking away when the Tao, Lay, and Luhan stood in a line in front of her, blocking her path. “Wu Yifan, you bastard!”

 

Yifan looked at Bomi in the eye. “Congratulations, Bomi. You win. I’ll stick with my promise but you’ve gotta promise me. Don’t ever hurt her. If you break that promise... well, I’ll be breaking mine too. I should’ve known.” Bomi looked at him in confusion. “I’m glad I lost to you though Bomi, and not someone else.” Bomi didn’t know why she felt like this was genuine. It couldn’t be. She hated him. He was a jerk. Bomi pushed through the barricade that the three boys had created.

 

She heard Yifan’s voice as she was walking away. “Bomi ah! I’m not a bad guy! Just keep your promise and I hope we could be on more friendly terms!”

 

Bomi was thoroughly confused. Why was he being this way. Why did hearing his words feel like a weight lifted from her shoulders?


A/N: I haven’t updated this story in a week. I’m so sorry! OTL Was this what you were expecting? Hehe were you surprised! Enjoy!