5 Minutes

Every Minute Counts

5 minutes a day, that all Bomi’s got everyday for the span of a year. It’s almost the end of their 11th grade year now and Bomi wanted more. She’s enjoyed the 5 minutes everyday that she got to spend with her “girlfriend,” but she didn’t think it was enough. Sure, she got to spend time with Chorong anyways even without that 5 minutes, but Bomi wasn’t satisfied. Nor did she understand why Chorong didn’t just outright accept her confession.


 

*Flashback*

 

(In private after the public confession and Chorong’s acceptance (?))

“I’ll allow you to choose when that 5 minutes will be.”

 

“But unnie! Why 5 minutes? I’ll treat you well! I promise! I’ll be a great girlfriend and…”

 

“Are you saying you won’t treat me well otherwise?!” Chorong retorted (in a teasing manner.)

 

“No unnie, but…”

 

“Bbom ah, make the time we spend together as a couple count as something. After all, Every Minute Counts. And who knows what’ll lie ahead of us in the future.”

 

*End Flashback*

 

Bomi smiled a little bitterly at the memory. She has really come to appreciate those 5 minutes and it’s something that she’s looking forward to everyday. But…

 

*Flashback*

 

“5 minutes start!” Bomi exclaimed during lunch. “Chorongie, ahhh~~~” Bomi attempted to feed Chorong some food, but in turn received a glare from Chorong.

 

“Chorongie??? Who told you you could call me that?”

 

“During the 5 minutes that you’re my girlfriend, I’m allowed to call you that!” Bomi stuck her tongue out in an act of defiance.

 

“No!” Chorong crossed her arms to show her displeasure.

 

“Then what should I call you??? I want to make these 5 minutes special!” Bomi scratched her head trying to come up with couple names for each other.

“OH! I have an idea! How about, jagiya~~”

 

Chorong blushed upon hearing Bomi’s suggestion.

 

“Yah! Can you guys stop being so cheesy? I’m literally getting goosebumps over here.” Eunji made a disgusted face. “If only my Naeunnie were here right now…”

 

“And you say we’re disgusting!” Bomi looked in disbelief at her 93-line friend.

She then turned to Chorong. “So what do you think jagiya?” Bomi asked.

 

In response to Bomi’s question, Chorong smacked Bomi in the head. “5 minutes is up pabo.”

 

“Owww!” Bomi exclaimed out loud causing people around them to look over.

Lowering her volume, “I’ll take that as an OK then…” she mumbled.

 

*End Flashback*

 

Bomi smiled at the fond memories she’s had with Chorong. Since that incidence Bomi vowed to make better use of her 5 minutes. She felt so much happier after coming to terms with the fact that she liked Chorong.

 

*Flashback*

 

“Unnie, let’s go grab some ice-cream!” Bomi jumped around excitedly.

 

“Sorry Bbom, I’m studying right now.” Chorong responded. She sounded really tired.

 

“I’ll use my 5 minutes now then! Unnie! You need a break from studying anyways!” Bomi pulled Chorong out of her seat. Our 5 minutes will start as soon as we get our ice-cream!” Bomi was thinking ahead this time. She didn’t want to spend the 5 minutes walking to the ice-cream shop and waiting in line.

 

“Fine Bbom, not like I’ll be able to absorb any of this information anyways. Aish I feel so stupid sometimes.” Chorong exclaimed out of frustration.

 

Bomi felt sad that Chorong unnie was having such a hard time. She wanted to help but Chorong was the top of the class while Bomi was… well… the bottom.

“Unnie! You’re not stupid! If you were, then what would everyone else be??” Bomi said in an effort to comfort Chorong.

 

“If by everyone else you mean you, then I would say, pay attention to your studies!”

 

Bomi groaned. She hated it when Chorong nagged her about school and studying. This was her youth! If she tried to have fun when she was old then she’d have no energy left! At the thought of herself jumping around when she was 80 Bomi started laughing hysterically receiving a questioning look from Chorong. This kid… She thought But that’s why I like you Bbom ah, don’t ever change.

 

*At the ice-cream shop*

“5 minutes… start!” Bomi exclaimed as they both received their ice-cream cones.

Bomi scootched closer towards Chorong and linked her arms through hers. This used to be such a common-place thing but now it seemed like something they’re only allowed to do when they were a couple, and even so, the skinship was… minimal. Bomi was incredibly jealous of Naeun and Eunji for their excessive display of skinship.

 

“Oh, jagiya, you’ve got some ice-cream on your lips, let me clean it for you.”


Chorong pouted and patiently waited as Bomi reached for a napkin. To her surprise though, that was not what Bomi had in mind when she said “clean.”

 

Bomi leaned forward slowly. She felt like her heart was beating really quickly. This would be their first kiss.

 

“Yah!” Chorong looked down and Bomi’s lips connected with the side of Chorong’s head instead, resulting in a mouthful of hair. “Yoon Bomi! What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

Chorong secretly wanted to kiss Bomi too, but something was holding her back. Something that she had to constantly remind herself of. She didn’t want Bomi to get overly attached to her.

 

“UNNIE~~” Bomi pouted. “I was just doing what couples do all the time!”

 

“I’m sorry Bbom ah… I’m not ready yet.” Chorong looked at her watch. “5 minutes is up Bbom ah. I’ve gotta go back to studying. Thanks for the break and the ice-cream!” Chorong stood up leaving a dejected Bomi.

 

After taking a few steps away from Bomi, Chorong suddenly turned back and pecked Bomi on the cheek. “Remember, I love you Bbom ah~” she whispered and hurriedly walked away while blushing. It felt good getting that out. She hoped Bomi would understand what she was saying.

 

Bomi stayed seated with a wide grin on her face. Anyone walking by would’ve thought she was weird, but at that minute, she didn’t care. Chorong loved her.

 

*End Flashback*

 

Bomi sighed happily as she remembered the incident and the many other 5 minute scenes that they’ve had together. She had that same weird, creepy grin she had on the day that Chorong told her “I love you.”

 

“Earth to Bomi!” Eunji was waving her hands in front of Bomi’s face. “Yah! That smile is really creepy! Cut it out! No wonder I was getting goosebumps on the back of my neck during class, you’ve been staring at me the whole time!”

 

Bomi suddenly snapped out of her daydream, but only heard about half of what Eunji had said. “Wu-Wut?”

 

“Bomi ah, where’ve you been? Did you not get enough sleep last night?” Chorong asked with a concerned voice.

 

“Oh, sorry, I was just daydreaming.” Bomi smiled back at Chorong in a reassuring manner.

 

“Hey Bomi, how come you didn’t freak out when the teacher said that you were going to be paired up with Yifan for this end of the year project?” Eunji questioned Bomi. She had expected Bomi to object and throw a fit after hearing the teacher announce the pairings yet, she didn’t.

 

“WHAT?? I have to work with WU YIFAN?!” Bomi was upset and her loud voice attracted the attention of the rest of her classmates, as there was still 5 minutes left of class.

 

“Did you have something to say?” the stern teacher turned around with a face of disapproval.

 

“Sorry~” Bomi said apologetically.

 

“I thought so.” She then turned around to finish what she was writing on the board.

 

What a witch, Bomi thought.

Returning to a whisper, “When did that happen?? I didn’t even hear it! I would’ve thrown a temper tantrum if I’d known!”

 

“Yah, Yoon Bomi, be nice. Yifan oppa is a nice guy!” Chorong once again defended Yifan. After the showdown between Bomi and Yifan, Yifan had initially completely avoided them, but Chorong didn’t like how their new friend kept on avoiding them and confronted him (well, confronted may be too strong a word but…) about it. In turn, the two of the continued to hang out sometimes in the cafe so that Chorong could continue learning Chinese. Though Bomi disliked their interactions, she could do very little without getting scolded by Chorong. So she could only allow it and hope that Yifan kept to his promise.

 

Bomi pretended to throw up. “Nice guy my a**”

 

“YOON BOMI watch your language!”

 

The teacher spun around again after hearing Chorong’s voice. She was surprised that it was Chorong who had interrupted class this time, as was everyone else. “Chorong ah, is there something wrong? Yoon Bomi, come to my office after class!”

 

“Ahh… Sorry Miss, I didn’t mean to…”

 

“It’s fine Chorong ah, I know it wasn’t your fault. Yoon Bomi! This is the second time you’ve interrupted class in 5 minutes!”


Bomi was speechless, why was it always her that got in trouble???

 

A/N: Hoping this chapter was OK? I have everything planned out, but just don't know how to write it so it'd be interesting and enjoyable, so I'm so sorry if this story is dragging out. Thanks for staying with me...