Connections

Every Minute Counts

I hate them. I hate them. I hate them.

 

Bomi did not go back to help Chorong and Mr. Park. She couldn’t. She wouldn’t know how to face them. Her parents were basically throwing Mr. Park’s life away. She didn’t know just how sick he was or what kind of problem it was, but what she did know was that her parents were dead set against her and Chorong and were willing to do anything to stop them. But why?

 

I can’t take it anymore. I can’t… No… No… Bomi was slowly breaking down. She had been in her room for the past 24 hours and nobody, not one person has come to check up on her. Nobody cares… How stupid of you Bomi to think that you were loved. Bomi ah… Make life easier for your unnie will you.

 

End it all. It’ll be best for everyone to end it all.

 

Bomi got up slowly from bed. Her face was puffy from crying before, but she had no more tears to shed. She wanted it all to end.

 

Bomi sat down on her desk and opened the drawer…

 

************

 

Bomi slowly opened her eyes. It was so bright and it smelled so… what was that smell?

No! It smelled like a hospital.

 

Bomi looked around felt herself start to sob. Why can’t I do anything right? Why? WHY?!

 

She felt something move from the corner of her eyes. There was Yifan sleeping next to her hospital bed.

 

Why is he here? How long has he been here. She noticed some pictures hanging by the side of her bed, and notes under it. She slowly got up, making sure not to wake up Yifan.

 

“Bomi ah! Get well soon and come back to school OK? We miss that dorky smile of yours!” --D.O.

“Yo! Gorilla! I miss you! We haven’t talked in forever! I’ll leave my beautiful girlfriend aside for a day just for you! Get well soon and get your over to my house! I have things to show you!” --Jung Eunji

“Noona, I heard you were in the hospital. Get well soon! I’ll be a knight and protect you when you get out! Come back to us! We love you!” --Jackson

“Hey Bomi, it’s me Tao. You’ve still gotta beat me in Taekwondo remember? I mean, that’s probably going to be tough for you… But I promise! Next time I’ll go easy on you! Get better quickly and come find me!” --Tao

 

Bomi unconsciously teared up seeing the notes. What was this? Why were they here? They couldn’t be for her right? Yet they all had her name on it. Bomi also saw the pictures on the wall.

 

One was of Bomi and Eunji when they were kids.

One was of Bomi with her teammates on the Taekwondo team.

One was of Bomi with Yifan and grandma.

Bomi stopped at one picture in particular on the wall, however. She didn’t recognize the girl in the picture, but the boy was definitely Yifan. Bomi got closer to the picture, but fainted before seeing clearly who she was.

 

******

 

Yifan woke up and was surprised to find Bomi out of the bed. He stood up immediately and looked around, only to find her sprawled on the floor. He breathed a sigh of relief and picked her up and put her back on the bed. He looked at the wall, at the notes and pictures that he had posted on the wall. He smiled a sad smile.

 

Bomi had texted him before cutting herself again, saying she couldn’t do it anymore. Everything in life was just too difficult and too stupid. She didn’t know what to do and she didn’t know how she would do it. Bomi had sounded extremely upset and Yifan told her to hold on for a few minutes before dropping everything on hand to go to her house.

 

He was too late though. When he got to her room, the doors were locked and no responses were heard. Feeling worried and seeing the urgency of the situation, Yifan had kicked the door in and found Bomi face down on her desk with blood coming out of her wrist. Blood was everywhere. It was not the small cuts that he’d seen on her. This was serious.

 

As he was focusing on the wall and thinking, Bomi slowly opened up her eyes. She looked at Yifan’s profile and felt calm.

 

“Oppa…”

 

Yifan did not hear.

 

“Oppa…”

 

He slowly turned around to face Bomi. “I’m glad you’re awake Bomi ah.”

 

“Oppa, how long have I been sleeping?” Bomi scratched her head and realized how gross it was. It must’ve been a few days since she’s been out.

 

“Two week. You’ve been asleep for two weeks.” Yifan smiled sadly. “Oh, I should probably go tell your parents. They’ve been worried.” Yifan got up about to go outside.

 

Bomi’s face darkened immediately.

“Oppa, don’t.”

 

“But Bomi, they’re your parents. You have to…”

 

“Oppa…”

 

Yifan sat back down, not wanting to darken Bomi’s mood, knowing how dangerous it is.

 

“Oppa, you must think I’m pathetic right? I’m living pretty well and whatnot but am still unhappy?” Bomi gave off a bitter smile. “I can’t seem to do anything right and the more I thought about it, the more I realize no one really needs me now, or ever.” Bomi closed her eyes as the tears that she thought had all dried up came to the surface.

 

Yifan handed her a tissue and got up without a word, and headed to the wall to take down one picture and handed it to Bomi. It was the one of Yifan and the girl that Bomi didn’t know. She took a closer look. The girl was pretty and cute with slightly chubby cheeks.

 

Bomi looked up at Yifan with questioning eyes.


“You must wonder why I’m showing that to you right?” Bomi nodded. “Well do you remember when I said you reminded me of someone?” Bomi nodded her head again and began to understand. She looked back down at the picture. “Well that’s her. And before you say anything else, let me tell you a story.”