Problems

Every Minute Counts

Bomi has been calling Chorong continuously for the past two hours. Chorong had promised her she’d pick up. Why wasn’t she picking up? Bomi threw her phone down in frustration. Why was it when she needed her most she was never there?

 

Bomi closed her eyes while lying on her bed, pondering. Thinking of her entire life. Thinking of what her dad had told her. Thinking back to the good memories and the bad. Thinking back to… wait, who was that phone call from? Chorong had sounded worried.

 

Pabo-ya, you never even asked your unnie who it was from. Bomi facepalmed herself. She then picked up the phone to try one more time.

 

*Ring*

*Ring*

*Ring*

 

“Hello…” Bomi brightened when she got through, but the look on her face immediately dropped when she heard Chorong’s voice. This was not the voice of the usually cheerful and cute Chorong, she had been crying.

 

“Unnie! You finally picked up! What’s wrong? Have you been crying?”

 

“Sorry Bbom ah, I’m kind of busy right now. I… I…” Chorong ends up sobbing into the phone.

 

“Unnie! Where are you? I’m coming right now!” Bomi bolted up from her bed and stood up to grab a jacket from her closet.

 

“It’s OK Bbom ah… I’m fine.”

 

“Unnie~~!”

 

“I’m….” Chorong was interrupted by someone.

 

“Park Chorong? If you would step into my office to discuss your father’s current conditions please.”

 

“Sorry Bbom ah, I got to go!” Chorong hung up before Bomi could respond.

 

Bomi stood there dumbfounded. Something was definitely wrong. That voice… it sounds familiar somehow… Think Bomi, think… AH!! It’s… mom…

 

**********

 

After figuring out where Chorong was, Bomi had immediately gone to the hospital where her mom was the head. Chorong’s father had not been well and it has been 13 days since he’s been hospitalized.

 

“Bbom ah… my appa’s checking out of the hospital today. Come help me check him out?” Chorong asked. Chorong has only gone to school two days out of the thirteen that her dad had been hospitalized so the two hadn’t spent very much time together. Bomi understood.

 

“Sure unnie! I’d love to see abuji again! I’m so happy he’s gotten better!”

 

Chorong remained silent.

 

The trip to the hospital consisted of Bomi chattering away while Chorong looked out the window. Bomi didn’t understand why Chorong wasn’t happy about her father’s release, but she didn’t try to dig into the issue either.

 

“Ah! We’re here! Come on unnie! Let’s go!”

 

The two went up to Mr. Park’s floor and knocked on the door before entering. Everything had already been packed up and Mr. Park was sitting down on the bed looking out the window.

 

“Abuji! We’re here!”  Bomi yelled out cheerfully as she entered the room.

 

“Ah… Bomi is here.” Mr. Park said with a small smile as he looked back. He was about to say something else when he suddenly went into a coughing fit.

 

Bomi ran up to Mr. Park and patted him on the back. “Abuji, you don’t sound very good. Are you OK?” Bomi was genuinely worried. Mr. Park has always been nice to her and treated her well.

 

“I’m *cough* OK Bomi, *cough* *cough* *cough* It’s just a small cold is all.”

 

Mr. Park’s face was completely white. “Mr. Park stay here for a minute. I’ll be right back!” Bomi stood up and pulled Chorong out with her.

 

Chorong hasn’t said a thing since they arrived at the hospital and Bomi knew why.

 

“Abuji isn’t any better is he.” Bomi said, more of a statement than a question.

 

“No…” Chorong wasn’t looking at Bomi. She shuffled her feet and looked down on the floor.

 

“Then why in the world are you taking him out of the hospital?!” Bomi was furious. Chorong was surprised as she has never seen Bomi so mad, especially anger directed at her.

 

“Bbom ah…” Chorong was on the verge of crying.

 

“Unnie. Is it the money? I’ll pay it for you!”

 

“I can’t let…”

 

“Unnie! Abuji’s life is more important than money! I’ll make my mom at least let you pay later!”

 

“I don’t think that’s possible Bbom ah.” Before Bomi can say anything else, Chorong continued. “I think I brought you with me to get appa out. Let’s go.” Chorong went back into the hospital room.

 

Instead of going back as Chorong had asked, Bomi sprinted down the hall and down the stairs to her mother’s office. Without knocking, Bomi barged in. “Omma!”

 

Dr. Yoon looked up from the paperwork she had in front of her. She scowled upon seeing Bomi. “When are you going to learn some manners Yoon Bomi. Can’t you…”

 

Not allowing her to finish, “Omma, can you defer Mr. Park’s hospital bills? He’s not well, he can’t leave yet!”

 

Dr. Yoon removed her glasses and put them in her jacket pocket. “Instead of worrying about other people’s business Bomi, think more about how you can improve yourself. Maybe think about your own parents some time.” Bomi opened to speak but Dr. Yoon kept going. “Now, listen up, it’s not that I don’t want to help. It’s that Park girl’s refusal to my proposal that I cannot and will not help. What happens to her is none of my business.”

“You’re a doctor! Your number one job is to save patients! If that’s your mind process what kind of doctor are you?! Why should any of these people in here trust you!”

 

“I AM a doctor, and a good one too. Look at all those people I’ve saved, but she’s going to have to find someone else.” Dr. Yoon looked at her watch. “Go on now, I’m busy and you’re wasting my time.”

 

“Omma, it’s embarrassing to even call you that. What have Mr. Park and Chorong done to you? Why…”

 

“If she left you alone as your father asked her to, then everything would be much better for both of you.” With that she closed the door in Bomi’s face.

 
 
A/N: ...I haven't updated in over a month... Wow, exams are finally over! Thank God and I've decided on a college as well as found a roommate! Yeah! So here's a quick update then and I'll try to post another chapter soon but I guess no promises. Sorry for making you guys wait! I have such a good plan for an ending but it's not working as I've planned. Will start another one and try to end this one soon!