You

Hopeless Treasure
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Double Update!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N]: Disable your readability to get a better, clearer idea of which thoughts belong to which character. It is color coded.

 

Dark Red - Jiyeon

Dark Blue - Eunjung

Dark Green - Hyomin

 

« It is a secret. It was something that you should’ve never known, and it is still something you shouldn’t know. It would’ve been better if you didn’t know, Hyomin. »

 

The frightening tone of voice rang in her ears. Her eyes were blinking slowly, opening and closing. She felt like she was being suffocated. Her arms and legs were being restrained from moving too much.

In such situations like these, I am definitely tied up. At least it’s my body in one piece.. I hope. I’m alive. In such situations like these, if I groan, I get the attention of whoever kidnapped me. Do I want that?

Silence. It seemed as if she was blind. Because the moment that she could have her eyes wide open, they saw nothing but blackness.

Add that I have a blindfold on, and the lights are out wherever I am.

“Jiyeon,” Hyomin called out.

The only thing that I have untouched is my mouth.

“Jiyeon,” Hyomin calmly called out again.

She wanted to try to see if her observations were correct, so she groaned and tried to move. Of course, moving was a failure, but groaning did attract attention.

“You’re awake.” The deep, calming (but uncalming at the same time) voice spoke. Hyomin’s surroundings got lighter, as she could see a little bit through the blindfold.

And then, the blindfolds were removed. Hyomin and Jiyeon were looking straight at each other in the eyes.

“Hyomin.”

“Yes?” Hyomin responded, bravely. She was a little scared as she didn’t know what kind of outcome would play out. But she knew, she has a less chance of surviving.

“Did you know? My serial killer life is at its peak. It’s going to end.”

“Why?”

“You’ll be my last victim.” Jiyeon said it in an optimistic tone. It wasn’t convincing that it was a good thing of course, “We’re playing a game right now. Of your life and death. Between me and Eunjung. I might get captured anyway. So it’s the end.”

So I am going to die in the end, huh, Jiyeon. This is how it’s going to end?

“You won’t necessarily die. It doesn’t mean that you’ll die by the end of this game. If you do die, I win the game. If you live, then I’ve failed. You’re still my last victim, and will be. I’ll just have my first failure in all of my killings,” Jiyeon explained, as if she read Hyomin’s mind.

“Why would you put everything on the line, including exposing yourself, and ending it so quickly? Why does it seem like you’re rushing?” Hyomin asked.

“This is the kind of ending I want. There is no good ending for me.” Jiyeon was very practical about it.

Silence grew upon them once again. Hyomin just sat there, recollecting her thoughts and answers that she got. But then, interrogating session wasn’t over.

“If you knew all along, why didn’t you avoid me?”

This was a good question. If Hyomin knew all along, why didn’t she say something about it, or do anything sooner?

“I was a fool to think something would be different. I’m a selfish person for thinking so. I thought that something different would come up with me, and no one else. That’s why I decided to stay. It even costed my father’s life just to be here,” Hyomin reasoned.

She was sad. The scenario was something different than what she had planned.

“But it is different. You’re living longer than the rest, and you get to see my face, and you get to have a little chat with me. What’s something that’s better than that? If I could, I would chat with you allllll day.” Her tone of voice still wasn’t convincing enough.

“Then we could have done that, Jiyeon.” Hyomin tried to influence her out of the psychotic mindset that she has. Of course, Jiyeon was considered calm now, but no one living was here to witness how chaotic Jiyeon can be.

Jiyeon didn’t answer Hyomin’s last statement. She was just silent, and she looked straight at Hyomin.

“Hyomin, how many minutes has past since you’ve awoken?” Jiyeon asked.

I have a bad feeling. Something [instincts] tells me not to answer that question and pretend that I don’t know.

“Six, why?” Hyomin asked back.

“Hm. I was just wondering.”

“Did you tell Eunjung where to find me?”

“Yes, I did.”

“Oh great,” Hyomin whispered under her breath. Then, she spoke up, “So how many more minutes before I end up dead? How many minutes did you give Eunjung?”

“You have four minutes remaining, and that second question, just do the math.” Jiyeon said, “You’re such a genius, just how do you catch on so quickly?”

Silence came up again. Jiyeon turned around, and was walking away from Hyomin.

“Jiyeon –– I don’t want to die.”

The words. The words of fate that spoke out of Hyomin’s conscience. She doesn’t want to die. Those words sparked up the Jiyeon inside.

The magical words –– she said it! Like any other normal victim. I guess it must be human nature. There’s no way she is special to me anymore. She’s still great, but she’s lost a little of my interest.

Hyomin just sighed, and her head sank down, facing the ground, while her whole body was tied up on a chair.

“The ending that I want. Only one side will have a game over, and the other will have victory. Hyomin, I believe you don’t have a side in the game. You’re just the victim after all.” Jiyeon said.

“No, Jiyeon. I do have a side. The victim always has to have something in return, whether it’d be life or death, survival or continuity. I deserve a side, Jiyeon. Make this game fair for me, too. Or else.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter