Zelo: The Shortie and the Skater

One Shot Collection!

                  “_____, can you take care of locking up tonight?” your manager asked you at closing time.

                  “Sure,” you nodded and went back to your book. Soon all of the workers and visitors had emptied out, leaving the rink in possession of one occupant, who remained unnoticed by all. you got up from your spot and went around turning off the lights, leaving the rink itself for last. When you got there, you saw a sweat-soaked, angry boy, furiously skating around the rink. You could tell that he was yelling at himself, angry for who knows why.

                  “Zelo!” you called to the skater. Zelo slid to a stop and gave a small smile to his petite friend. He skated to where you were standing and ruffled your hair.

                  “Hey Shorty,” he grinned at your now disheveled appearance.

                  You play-glared through your messy hair and shook it back into place, “Hey Skater,” you replied, “What are you still doing here?” you asked. “It’s almost midnight and the rink is closing.”

                  Zelo sighed and wiped his sweaty forehead with his hand, “My dad wants my next routine to be perfect so rest is not an option.”

                  Your eyes widened, “Zelo, your competition in in four months. Four months! Can’t you take it easy for now?”

                  Zelo smiled sadly, “I wish, but you know my dad.”

                  You nodded in understanding. You did know Zelo’s dad, who was also his career manager. His plan was to have Zelo compete in the Olympics the coming January and to compete until then to get him ready. He was like a slave driver when it came to Zelo. No rest, no play, all work. “You need a break,” you said finally.

                  “I know but-”

                  “No buts!” you interrupted. “You are coming with me and you a going to be a regular 19 year old boy for one night.”

                  Zelo started to smile, “Really?”

                  You nodded, “Now go change. I have to finish locking up and then I’ll meet you out front by the bike racks.”

                  Zelo broke into a full out smile and skated off to the exit while shouting, “Shorty is the best! Shorty is amazing!”

                  You laughed and shouted back, “Skater better believe it!”

                  Zelo stopped at the edge of the rink and turned back around to face his best friend, “I love Shorty!” he yelled at the top of his lungs.

                  You breath caught in your throat when you heard Zelo say that. If Zelo noticed that you was on the verge of hyperventilating, he didn’t show it as he left the rink and walked to the locker rooms. “I love you too, Zelo,” you whispered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  “So,” Zelo walked up to where you were leaning against the bike racks and casually slung his arm over your shoulders, “Where are we going on my one night of stolen freedom?” he asked.

                  You snorted, “How poetic of you.”

                  “I know,” Zelo smiled, his eyes almost disappearing, “It’s a gift.”

                  You laughed at your friend’s cockiness, “Wherever we want,” you answered Zelo’s question. “Have any requests, Zelo?” you asked.

                  “Somewhere I can eat food,” Zelo replied as you two started walking down the dimly lit street.

                  “You pig,” you teased as you wrapped your arm around Zelo’s waist.

                  “You’re one to talk, Shorty,” Zelo tightened his hold your shoulder, squeezing you until you let out a laugh.

                  “Okay, okay!” you freed herself from Zelo’s grasp and began shuffling backwards in front of him. You leaned forwards and whispered, “Piggy,” before darting off with an ‘angry’ ice-dancer hot on your heels. He chased you for a block before he started breathing heavily. Slowing down, he leaned over and began coughing hysterically, which you heard and immediately turned around to help him.

“Zelo?” you ran to his side with a face filled with pure concern. Looking up with an evil grin, Zelo wrapped his arms around your waist, pulled you off the sidewalk and into the grass, where he tackled you and began tickling you. You began laughing as hard as you could until tears were seeping out of the corners of you eyes.

                  Zelo was laughing too, and only stopped his assault when you were begging for mercy. “Say that I’m the best ice-dancer in the world!” he demanded, still holding you to the ground.

                  “Zelo Choi is the best ice-dancer in the world!” you repeated breathlessly.

                  “Say that I am not a pig!” Zelo ordered, keeping your arms pinned on the grass.

                  You took a deep gulp of air before complying. “Choi Junhong is not a pig and he is thinner than a twig and probably weighs less than me!” you rushed out.

                  Zelo nodded, satisfied, and rolled off of his friend to lie next to you in the grass, breathing hard.

                  “You faked an asthma attack?” you panted. Zelo laughed softly and nodded, to which you responded with a sound whack to his chest, “Jerk,” you mumbled. “I got really worried there for a second,” you turned to her friend, all humor gone from your expression.

                  Zelo looked back at you and saw how serious you were. Feeling a little guilty, he apologized. “Sorry,” he said, and meant it.

                  You smiled, not able to stay mad at Zelo for long, “It’s okay. Just don’t. Do. That. Again!” you jabbed her finger on Zelo’s boney chest, emphasizing each word.

                  “Yes ma’am,” Zelo mock saluted the short girl.

                  You nodded in contentment. Then you realized that you were still resting your hand on Zelo’s chest and jerked it away, getting a little pink in the cheeks.

                  Zelo noticed, but didn’t want to make things awkward so he just let it go. “So,” he started, getting up and reaching a hand down to help you up, which you accepted, “Where to?”

                  Once you were on your feet you started walking down the street again, “Food.”

                  Zelo grinned and ran to catch up with his friend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  “Ugh, that cannot have been good for me,” Zelo groaned contently and patted his stomach.

                  You laughed and finished off your chicken skewer. “Nope,” you admitted, throwing the empty skewer in a trash can, “But it was worth it.”

                  “Mhmm,” Zelo agreed and slung his arm over your shoulders again, causing your face to turn a light shade of pink. “Now what?” he asked, completely oblivious to your ever reddening face.

                  You shrugged, “It’s your one night of freedom,” you reminded Zelo.

                  “That’s right,” Zelo tapped his chin with his figure, pretending to think hard, “So that means you’ll do whatever I want to, right?”

                  You gave Zelo a look, “Don’t go crazy now,” you warned.

                  “Wouldn’t dream of it.” Zelo laughed. Then he really thought about it. What did he want to do? He only had a few short hours to spend doing whatever he wanted with his best friend before reality would come hurtling back and remind him who he was. He glanced at the clock tower and saw that it was 12:30 AM. You looked too and saw the time. Then, a smile slowly spread across you face and you pulled out your phone. Zelo was unaware until he felt you put an earphone in his ear and heard a song start. He smiled and looked down at his short friend as “Midnight Memories” started playing. There was no other song that fit their situation better than this one. The pre-chorus started and Zelo reached down to grab your hand and started running down the street like a madman.

                  “Midnight memories!” you two belted at the top of your lungs and ran around like the idiots you were. Throughout the duration of the song you danced around in the street, darted through crowded stores, and actually played a game of leap frog across the street during a red light. You were honked at but you didn’t care. They were just having fun. The song ended all too soon and you two soon found yourselves, once again, not knowing what to do.

                  “Now what?” Zelo asked for the second time that night.

                  “Arcade?” you suggested and before you knew it, you were being pulled down the street by Zelo towards the arcade you haven’t visited together for, well, years. Even though it’s been a while, Zelo hadn’t lost any of his gaming abilities.

                  “That’s right!” he yelled like a child when he scored against you.

                  “Keep your head on Skater!” you yelled back and began your attack, nearly butchering your opponent.

                  “Okay, okay! Time out!” Zelo begged and you complied. “How ‘bout this,” he said, “Winner gets to pick out something ridiculous from the costume shop for the loser to wear for the rest of the night.”

                  You smirked at Zelo, “You realize that you’re digging your own grave, right?” you asked.

                  “Take it or leave it, Shorty,” Zelo taunted, confident.

                  “Oh you’re on!” you agreed.

                  You continued their game and Zelo made an incredible comeback, making you nervous. In the end, you tied.

                  “What do we do now?” you asked as you left the arcade.

                  Zelo thought for a minute. “How ‘bout we figure that out once we get there?” he recommended after a while.

                  You nodded, “I’m game.”

                  Arriving at the costume shop, you looked around for a bit before settling on bunny ears for Zelo and cat ears for you. You paid for your purchases and laughed at how ridiculous you two looked. Now, in a way, you were both winners and both losers.

                  “_____, look!” Zelo exclaimed and pointed to a place in front of them. You turned to see a small, outdoor skating rink. “Do you want to skate?”

                  You gave Zelo a look, “You skate every day.”

                  “I practice for competition every day,” Zelo corrected, “I don’t get to just skate with my best friend.”

                  Your heart made a little flutter at his words, “Ok let’s go!” you said enthusiastically.

                  In less than ten minutes, you both had paid for your skates and were gliding around the rink to the music blaring through the speakers.

                  “I can’t believe there is an outdoor rink that’s still open at 1:30 in the morning,” you remarked.

                  “They knew we were coming,” Zelo joked, earning a little laugh from you. You were a rather accomplished skater as well, helping Zelo with his tricks and even competing a little yourself, but you liked it more as a hobby, not a lifestyle. Even so, you managed to get your skates caught on each other, causing you to hit the ice.

                  Zelo laughed and knelt down next to his fallen friend, “That’s not how you do it, Shorty,” he teased.

                  You stuck out your tongue and rejected Zelo’s outstretched hand, getting up on your own. Then you picked up speed until you were nearly flying and went into a perfect double lutz, landing it as if you were the champion. “That’s how it’s done,” you shot back, looking to where Zelo was standing. However, when your eyes landed on his previous location, he was nowhere to be found. You turned around just in time to see Zelo flying towards you, freaking you out enough to make you meet the ice for the second time that night.

                  “Don’t talk big if you can’t follow it through,” Zelo taunted, stopping again and grabbing your wrist, forcing you to accept Zelo’s help. “I think you need a little help skating,” he said, and entwined his fingers with yours. You were so stunned that you didn’t even move her feet when Zelo started skating again. “That doesn’t mean I’m going to do all the work for you!” he complained.

                  “Aw man,” you joked to cover up her surprise, and smiled in spite of yourself. You skated like that for a while, to a rather slow and romantic song, before either of you talked again.

                  “You could have done it, you know,” Zelo broke the silence and looked at you, “become a champion.”

                  You scoffed at that remark, “Fat chance of that!”

                  “I’m serious!” Zelo continued, “That lutz was perfect and you’re ridiculously flexible and graceful on the ice.”

                  “It’s like a fairytale,” you weren’t taking Zelo seriously, “A graceful princess on the ice and a clumsy tomboy on land.”

                  “_____,” Zelo forced you to come to a halt and held you by the shoulders.

                  You sighed and looked down at your white skates, “I don’t want what you have,” you answered honestly. “I love being a normal teenager who gets to live the life she wants to and gets to see her best friend win gold at every competition,” you looked back at Zelo and smiled, “You’re the star and I’m the cheerleader. That’s how it’s always been and that’s how I like it.”

                  Zelo smiled at his short friend, “You never did like the spotlight did you, Shorty?” he remarked in understanding. He had his place and you had yours, and it wasn’t competing on the ice. It was in the stands, cheering him on until your voice was hoarse and clapping till your hands were red.

Zelo took your hand again and began leading you around the ice. At almost 2:00 in the morning now, less people were out on the rink than there had been before. Suddenly, a loud squealing sound filled the air and the night sky was filled with colorful showers of sparks. Fireworks.

“Why are they lighting fireworks?” you yelled over the noise as you and Zelo stopped again to watch.

“I don’t know,” Zelo admitted, “But I’m glad they are.” He gave your hand a squeeze, causing your heart to nearly beat out of your chest.

You turned to look at your best friend; his shaggy brown hair and pale skin, his dark eyes that almost disappeared when he smiled wide enough, his perfect lips that curled into a perfect smile, and the necklace he wore every day, even during competitions, that you had given him before his first ever event. He really was amazing.

“Zelo?” you asked, timidly. Zelo turned to look at you, who was now facing him. “Do you remember how you told me that being a competitive skater is all about taking risks?”

“Yeah…” Zelo said, not quite sure what you were getting at.

You took a deep breath, “Well I’m going to take one right now,” and without another word, you cupped Zelo’s face with your hands and pulled him into a kiss. It wasn’t a big kiss, but it was enough to catch Zelo completely off guard. When you pulled away and saw the surprised look on Zelo’s face, you turned around to keep him from seeing the blush that now heated your cheeks.

Meanwhile, Zelo felt as if fireworks were going on inside of his head as well as in the sky. Then, he smiled. He had had a HUGE crush on you for as long as he could remember and it looked as if you felt the same way. Zelo reached around you, took hold of your shoulder, and turned you to face him. You were still looking at her skates so Zelo lifted your chin with his free hand and kissed you back. Now you were the one taken by surprise, but you didn’t pull away. Instead, you wrapped your arms around Zelo’s thin waist and relaxed into the kiss. Once he was sure that you weren’t going to pull away, Zelo slid his hand from your chin to the back of your neck. Then, he slipped his other arm around your waist, trapping you in the embrace. You two kissed until the fireworks stopped, gaining a few glances from curious onlookers. When you broke apart, you looked at each other with smiles that reached your eyes.

“We’re going to be in so much trouble with your dad,” you whispered with a grin.

Zelo laughed softly and rested his forehead against yours, “Well that’s his problem and I don’t care.”

You smiled wider and hugged your best friend, who was now something more.

“_____,” Zelo spoke up, still in the embrace.

“Yeah?” you replied.

“Thanks for taking that risk.”

You smiled, “Anytime.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  “You don’t have to,” you laughed at Zelo as you walked towards his house, hand in hand.

                  “But if I don’t I’ll feel like I did something wrong!” Zelo complained.

                  You shook your head and laughed harder. “Fine then,” you relented and stopped walking and stood in front of Zelo with an expectant look.

                  “Okay, I got this,” Zelo cleared his throat. “_____, will you…” he stopped and reached forwards, weaving both of your hands in his, “be my girlfriend?” he finished.

                  “Hmm,” You pursed your lips and pretended to think really hard.

                  Always the impatient one, Zelo pulled you closer and clasped his hands on your shoulders. “C’mon!” he bounced up and down a little.

                  You cupped Zelo’s face for the second time that night. “Yes,” you said at last, “I would love to.”

                  Zelo smile was so big that his eyes almost disappeared. “Really?” he had to make sure. You nodded and Zelo hugged you so tightly that he lifted your feet clean off the ground. “You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to ask you that!” Zelo admitted, after setting you down but keeping you in an embrace.

                  “Probably for about as long as I’ve wanted you to ask me,” you buried your face in Zelo’s jacket, still not entirely sure that this was really happening, and enjoyed the moment. You broke away and smiled at each other, continuing your walk hand in hand.

                  “Will your dad still be up?” you asked after walking in a companionable silence for a few blocks and getting nearer to Zelo’s house.

                  “Probably not,” Zelo said. “I mean what kind of person would still be awake at 3:00 in the morning?” he laughed.

                  You gave him a look, “You mean besides us?”

                  Zelo looked back with a warm look, “I’d do it again in a heartbeat,” he squeezed your hand. After giving you a quick wink, Zelo looked back up to his approaching house. “Oh no,” he whispered.

                  “What?” you asked and turned to where Zelo was looking. His dad was sitting on the porch, waiting for them. You immediately released each other from your handhold and gave each other a wary look before continuing forwards, dreading the next few moments to come.

                  “You should get out of here,” Zelo whispered as you neared the house.

                  “I’m not going anywhere,” you countered.

                  The next few moments felt like eternity as you walked to where Mr. Choi was standing, arms crossed, and with a thunderous expression.

                  “Zelo,” He started, making both of your hearts beat faster, “do you have any idea what time it is?” Zelo nodded, almost too afraid to speak. “What on earth were you thinking, staying out this late?” Mr. Choi raised his voice, causing Zelo to flinch, “And you weren’t even practicing. You were out wasting time and-”

                  “Don’t yell at Zelo, Mr. Choi,” you interrupted, stepping forwards a little bit, as if to distract Mr. Choi from completely opening fire on Zelo. “It was my idea,” you went on, “and I take full responsibility.”

                  Mr. Choi’s already dark expression seemed to intensify at this statement. “Zelo,” his words were clipped, “Go inside and get to bed. Now.”

                  Zelo turned to look at you, who looked back, and gave you an apologetic look before obeying his father’s orders. Once he was inside, Mr. Choi turned to you.

                  “_____,” Mr. Choi clasped his hands behind his back, “I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to hang out with Zelo anymore.” Your jaw dropped, but Mr. Choi wasn’t done. “It’s no secret how close you two are and Zelo has developed strong feelings for you. You are now becoming only a distraction.”

                  You couldn’t believe your ears. Mr. Choi wanted you to stop seeing his son because you were a distraction? “With all due respect, sir,” you spoke up, “Zelo is a 19 year old who hardly knows what it’s like to be a teenager. That’s what I was trying to show him tonight. He overworks himself, trying to please you and the crowds, and forgets to take time to just breathe. Zelo is a champion. I’ve never met anyone more talented on the ice than he is, but,” you paused and looked Mr. Choi directly in the eyes, “he is also just a kid who doesn’t know what it’s like to be a kid.”

                  Mr. Choi looked stunned. He never expected you to talk back to him like that. you was right, he knew that, but so was he and he wasn’t going to back down. “Goodnight, _____.” He dismissed you.

                  You sighed and looked down, sensing defeat. After a few seconds you looked back up, “Can I offer you one piece of advice, Mr. Choi?” you asked. Mr. Choi nodded so you continued, “Zelo is your son, not just a client. I think you sometimes forget that, but Zelo never does.” You started backing away, “Goodnight Mr. Choi,” you bowed. Then you your heel and walked away from Zelo’s house, hoping that you left some sort of impact on Mr. Choi’s iron resolve.

 

A/N

This one's a little different; Zelo isn't the amazing rapper we know him as. Instead he is an extremely talented ice skater! I hope you enjoyed it!!