Ravi: When He Forgets the Little Things

One Shot Collection!

Everyone has quirks; those little traits that make you unique. They set you apart from others and make you who you are. These quirks are important to you. What would you be without them? A blank slate; a cookie cutter girl; unoriginal. Thanks to your little quirks you’re a short, sassy girl who loves to wear beanies and has a strange obsession with cheese. And your favorite color is turquoise.

Unfortunately, these unique qualities aren’t as important to some people as they are to you, specifically your boyfriend Ravi. He used to adore the little things about you, like the way you bit your lip and blush when you got embarrassed, or even the way you sipped your favorite coffee, chestnut praline latte. Now it seems like he’s forgetting them… and you. Today he forgot something extremely important and you weren’t going to let it pass this time.

 

“Ravi, what day is it?” you asked, hoping he would get it right and had just temporarily forgotten it. The blank look on his face what not promising.

“Um,” he said, rubbing the back if his neck, “it’s not your birthday, is it?”

You gave him an incredulous look. “No. No it’s not my birthday.”

“Oh my gosh!” Ravi clutched his head, “our anniversary! I am so sorry, I was so busy with practice that…” He was so caught up in reprimanding himself that he totally missed the look of sheer disappointment that crossed the faces of every single person in that room, including yours.

You sighed, “Ravi.” Ravi stopped his rant and looked at you, still not understanding the situation. “Our anniversary is in a month. You haven’t missed that yet.”

“Then,” Ravi looked around the room for help but his bandmates looked away, “what did I miss?”

You didn’t want to tell him. You didn’t want to see the look on his face when he realized how bad he had messed up, but you forced yourself to look him in the eyes. “Today is my brother’s death anniversary.” A look of pure horror covered Ravi’s face and you had to force myself to continue. “You promised that you were going to come with me to visit him so that I wouldn’t have to do it on my own but you forgot. N Oppa went with me instead,” you gestured to the tan leader, who was giving Ravi a look so intense that it was almost surprising that the rapper didn’t spontaneously combust right then and there.

“Oh my gosh, _______ I’m so sorry I-”

“You what? Forgot? Got distracted?” you snapped, letting out all the anger you’d been holding in for the past few months. “If this had been the first time something like this had happened I would let it go but this was the last straw. I know you’ve been busy with VIXX’s comebacks but that never was an issue before. During your debut you remembered the days I had small tests and would get up early just to bring me my favorite coffee and a pep talk. Now you don’t even remember what my favorite coffee is. You’re disregarding things and not even realizing it.”

“But those are only little things!” Ravi attempted to calm you down. “This is the first time I’ve forgotten something important.”

You scoffed at him. “Is that all they are to you? Little things? Ravi, it’s those little things that made you fall in love with me in the first place. It’s those little things that make me me. Without them, what am I?” Ravi was silent. He was finally starting to realize just how negligent he had been over the past few months, and how much you had needed him. You sighed, all the fight drained out of you. You had gotten your point across. “I’m going to give you some space,” You said.

Ravi’s eyes widened in horror.

“I’m not breaking up with you,” you assured him, calming him down a bit. “We both need some time to cool down a little bit. You’ve been under a lot of stress lately and I’ve been busier due to my job so I think it’s best of we give each other some space, for a little while anyway.”

“No, ______ we don’t need space from each other, please,” Ravi begged.

“Then what do we need?” you asked.

“I-I don’t know,” Ravi was obviously flustered. “Just-”

“Just what?” you interrupted, still mad, “Stay here and get taken for granted?” Ravi visibly flinched. You closed your eyes and ran a hand through your hair, suddenly very tired. “Sorry,” you said quietly. “I didn’t mean for it to come out like that.” You opened your eyes and looked into Ravi’s obviously worried ones. “I’m gonna go now. I’ll see you later,” you said.

“When?” Ravi nearly whispered.

You shrugged and gave a half smile. “That depends on you.” Then you turned around and walked to the door, but paused before leaving. “Ravi,” you started, turning around to your dejected boyfriend, “out of curiosity, what’s my favorite color?”

Ravi blinked. That wasn’t what he had been expecting to hear. He hurriedly racked his brain for this small detail that he felt was very important, but had somehow misplaced. “Um,” Ravi bit his lip, “pink.”

“Oh my gosh,” N groaned.

“Hyung,” Hyuk shook his head in disappointment.

Ravi looked around the room and received similar vibes from the rest of his bandmates before turning back to you, who was smiling sadly at him.

“That’s what I thought,” you admitted quietly and turned around, walking out of the dorm.

Ravi watched the door close and felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. He had really messed up this time.

Suddenly he felt someone whack him upside the head. Ravi turned to face the attacker and was met by the fierce glare of Hongbin. “Nice move, pin head,” he said.

“Hey, it’s not entirely my fault,” Ravi argued, rubbing his sore head.

“Oh, sure,” N cut in, voice full of venom, “and I’m as pale as paper.”

Ravi dropped his hand, now fully aware of how much trouble he was in with the five boys surrounding him. “Guys, I didn’t mean to forget those things. Honestly!”

“Maybe not,” Ken interjected, “but you didn’t try to remember them either.” Ravi quieted at this. “Ravi, ______’s not mad at the fact that you forgot some little details. She’s upset and hurt that you didn’t value them enough to try to remember them.”

“She really needed you today,” N added. “You know how difficult this time of year is for her and she doesn’t really have anyone else to go to but us. She was counting on you to be there for her, not for sympathy, but to just be there.” N looked at Ravi with sheer disappointment. “That’s all she wanted and you couldn’t even do that.”

Ravi sat down on the couch and rested his head in his hands. “I didn’t mean to forget. I was planning on being there but… I was just…”

“Busy at the studio.” Hongbin finished. “You were so busy with your music that you forgot about the person that was your inspiration for that music in the first place.”

“Noona isn’t needy,” Hyuk chimed in. “She doesn’t need you to be there all of the time and give her 100% of your attention, but she does need to feel like you value her. Forgetting important details about her makes her feel like you’re just taking her for granted.”

This was met with silence. Ravi stared at the floor, unable to believe that he had been so negligent. You had seemed perfectly normal to him, even though he hadn’t been as attentive as he normally was, but then again, he never actually asked you if things were okay. He had just assumed. Now he had forgotten about your brother’s death anniversary. N was right. You didn’t really have anyone besides them due to the strained relationship you had with your parents. They didn’t even approve of him. Maybe they were right not to. “I am such an idiot,” Ravi whispered to himself.

N nodded, “Yes you are. The question now is,” he knelt down so he was eye level with Ravi, “what are you going to do about it?” N patted Ravi’s knee and stood up. “C’mon guys,” he addressed the rest of the boys, “let’s leave our Wonsik to his thoughts.” Then he led the boys out of the room, with the exception of Leo.

Ravi looked up and held Leo’s strong gaze. He hadn’t said anything during the whole fiasco but Ravi could tell that Leo had something important to on his mind.

“Ravi,” Leo started in his soft voice, “as much as I love and cherish your friendship, I love and cherish _______ as a sister too. All of us do. If you’re willing to try harder and make _______ feel like you actually love her, then do all you can, because girls like her are rare. But if you’re just going to keep neglecting her like you have been, then let her go because she deserves much better.” Having said all he needed to Leo his heel and walked out in the direction the others had.

Finally alone, Ravi leaned his head back on the couch and stared at the ceiling. The second you had left the dorm he had known he was going to try everything in his power to fix things between you two. The conversation he just had with his band members compelled him to even more.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The second you got home you walked straight up to your room. You ignored you mom and dad but, hey, what else is new? You shut the door with quite a force, but didn’t slam it loud enough to alert your mom that something was off because then she would automatically assume that it was something to do with Ravi, like she always did, only this time she would be right.

You crawled onto your bed, not bothering to remove your shoes or the covers, and lay there on your back, staring at the ceiling. You hadn’t meant to yell at Ravi but it just happened. All of the pent up frustrations from the past few months due to school, work, and your mom just came rushing out. The thing was, you knew you were right. Ravi was getting careless. You wanted him to succeed, obviously, but you didn’t want him to forget about you in the process.

Closing your eyes, you sighed. “Please think I’m worth it,” you whispered before drifting off to sleep.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Three days later

 

You were lying on your bed again, staring at the ceiling, and tossing a bouncy ball up in the air and catching it. You were thinking about the past few days without Ravi. They had been surprisingly fine. In fact, it was as if nothing had changed. Maybe that’s what bothered you so much. You two had been drifting away so much to the point where not being together made no impact, as it was exactly the same as when you were actually together. Maybe you had been too critical. Maybe you were overreacting. But, what if you two really were drifting apart?

“Gah!” you yelled and threw the ball to the opposite wall, which it bounced off of and landed somewhere on the other side of the room.

“________,” your mom called up the stairs, “is everything alright up there?”

“Yeah,” you called back. Then you scoffed at yourself, “Everything’s just peachy.”

Suddenly you heard something small hit your window. Confused, you sat up and searched for the culprit. Finding nothing and being too lazy to investigate you shrugged it off and lay back down, only to be roused again by the same noise. “What the heck?” you questioned and slid off the bed. You walked to the window and looked out, jaw dropping when you saw what was out there. Unlocking the window you slid the glass up and let in the cool late-evening air.

“Hi,” you said.

“Hi,” Ravi replied, smiling that adorable smile. Then he cleared his throat and began speaking. “My name is Kim Wonsik and I’m in love with a girl named _________.”

“Shhh!” you hushed him frantically, “My mom’s gonna hear you!”

Softer this time, Ravi repeated himself, “My name is Kim Wonsik and I’m in love with a girl named ________.”

You made a face. “You said that already.”

Ravi smiled. “Believe me, it’s worth saying again,” he insisted. Then he continued, “She loves photography and beanies, but she can’t stand taking pictures of herself. She’s insecure about her height but I think it’s perfect, along with all of her appearance, especially her long hair that she seems to never have fully under control.” At this you smiled and unconsciously reached up to run a hand through said hair. “Her favorite coffee is a chestnut praline latte and she absolutely adores cheese, especially extra sharp cheddar. She bites her lip and blushes whenever she’s embarrassed, which is every time someone compliments her.” You bit your lip and blushed. Ravi was describing you perfectly with things that you didn’t know he even noticed. “She claps her hands when she laughs and flexes her fingers when she’s mad. Her singing voice is absolutely amazing but she doesn’t like to sing for small groups of people, and she couldn’t play guitar if her life depended on it, but I love hearing her anyway.” Ravi took a deep breath before continuing, “And her favorite color is turquoise.”

Silence followed, but unlike the day at the dorm it wasn’t awkward or tense. You just stood there looking at each other, you in your bedroom and Ravi on the lawn just below the window.

Finally Ravi spoke up again, “Can we talk?”

You nodded. “You know the way in,” you said before turning and walking back to your bed. You sat in the middle of the bed, cross-legged, and waited for a few seconds for Ravi’s snapback’d head to appear through the window. He had climbed up the tree. This was how he always got into your house when your mom was around. She wouldn’t let Ravi anywhere near you if she knew he was here. Finally through the window, Ravi walked over to the office chair you had next to your bed and sat down facing you.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I was so caught up in my career and making you proud that I completely neglected you. I never asked you how you were doing because you always seemed fine, but I know that you’re too strong to let it slip if something was going on.” Ravi looked you in the eyes, “I began forgetting little things about you because I didn’t think they were that important but you were right. It’s those little things that make you the amazing person you are. I don’t deserve you at all but I swear I will try my very hardest to be the man that you do deserve. Leo Hyung told me that if I wasn’t committed to this I should just let you go because you deserve better, but I am 100% committed to this because I love you too much to let you go.”

Biting your lip again, you smiled. “I’m sorry too,” you admitted. “I was being selfish and I overreacted, blowing the whole situation out of proportion and you should know that I’m committed to this too. I’m willing to try as hard as I need to because I love you too.”

Ravi gave a little laugh. “We’re stupid, aren’t we?”

You laughed too. “And extremely stubborn.”

Ravi stood up and climbed up onto the bed so he was sitting in front of you. “All’s forgiven?”

Smiling, you nodded. “All’s forgiven.”

Ravi slipped his hand behind your neck and leaned in, kissing your lips gently. After a few seconds he pulled away, but still remained quite close. “Wow,” he remarked quietly. “I haven’t done that in a while, have I?”

“Nope,” you agreed.

“Then I’m an idiot,” Ravi moved his hand to caress your face.

You smiled wider, “Yes you are.”

Ravi silenced any more words by kissing you again, deeper and more passionate this time, and laying you down on the bed. Ravi broke the kiss every once and a while to look at you, happy that you were his, before claiming your lips again and again and again.

“_________,” your mom called, much closer than you were aware. You and Ravi broke apart and looked at each other.

“Hide,” you mouthed. Ravi nodded, understanding, and rolled off the bed and hid underneath it. You fixed your hair and rumpled pajamas, hoping that you didn’t look like you had just been making out with anyone.

“_________,” your mom knocked and opened the door. You looked at her and willed that she didn’t notice anything strange, specifically the kpop idol hiding under your bed.

“What?” you asked.

“Your father and I are going to bed.” she said.

You blinked. This was why she had interrupted you.”Um, ok.” you gave her a thumbs up.

Your mom squinted at you. “Are you alright? You look flushed.”

Oh crap. “I, uh, was really warm,” you bluffed, “which was why I opened the window to let some cool air in.” You decided to clear up two abnormalities at once.

“Are you getting sick?” you mom started towards the bed.

“Yes so don’t come any closer!” you held up your hands in an attempt to ward her off. “I don’t want you to get sick.”

Thankfully your mom stopped her advancing. “Alright then,” she said, heading back to the door, “I won’t disturb you anymore but call if you need something.”

“Okie dokie,” you agreed, crossing your fingers behind your back. Finally your mom left the room, shutting the door behind her and you were able to let out the breath you had been holding. Looking over the edge of the bed you saw Ravi slide out so his face was parallel to yours.

“You’re an awful liar,” he snickered.

“Shut up,” you ordered, pulling a pillow off the bed and whacking him with it.

Ravi blocked the feeble blow and smirked. “Just saying.” He pulled himself the rest of the way out from under the bed and sat up. “So, do you want to sneak out? Movie and snacks at the dorm?”

You grinned. “You don’t have to ask me twice.” You hopped off the bed, donned a hoodie and some sneakers, grabbed your purse, and walked to the window. Ravie climbed out first and helped you down the tree, kissing your forehead once you were safely on the ground again. Then, hand in hand, you and Ravi walked the few blocks from your house to VIXX’s dorm.

“Guys?” Ravi called as he pushed open the door.

“TV.” N called back from the living room.

Ravi lead you through the dorm and came to a halt in the living room where all of the members were piled on the couch watching the next episode of Ken’s drama, “Boarding house 34”.

You smiled. You’ve missed these guys. “I love this drama,” you stated and all five heads turned to look at you. Between one heartbeat and the next the rest of the boys were on their feet, rushing towards you and enveloping you in bear hugs with cries of your name and the occasional “Noona” from Hyuk. You laughed and hugged each of them back.

“Did Ravi apologize for being an idiot?” N asked?

“Yes,” you answered, “and so did I.”

“So,” Hongbin stepped forwards, “all’s right between you two again?”

Ravi smiled and swung his arm around your shoulder, pulling you close to him. “Yes it is,” he replied, placing a small kiss on the top of your head. He made eye contact with Leo, who was giving him a look.

“So, can I crash here for the night?” you asked, breaking the silence.

“Of course!” Ken exclaimed, grabbing your hands and pulling you towards the couch. “Hyuk, get more popcorn!”

Hyun pretended to pout, “Aish, always ordering the maknae around.”

“Ravi,” Leo said quietly and gestured him towards the door. With a quick look at you to make sure you were fine, Ravi followed his hyung outside and into the hall.

“Yeah?” Ravi asked.

Leo shut the door. “I’m really happy that everything is good between you and ______,” he began, “but I meant what I said earlier.”

Ravi nodded, completely understanding. “I know,” he said, “and I mean everything I’m doing right now. I’m not going to lose her.”

Leo smiled his rare smile and placed his hand on Ravi’s shoulder. “Good,” he said and lead the way back inside. Ravi followed close behind and walked to the couch, claiming the spot next to you.

You looked at Ravi and smiled when you felt him settle next to you. He smiled back and pulled you to his chest, holding you close enough to feel his heartbeat, and rested his chin on your head. You sat there like that for the rest of the night and ended up falling asleep. For that moment, everything was perfect and you wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.