Awkward Friends

Tell Me You Exist
Index:
 
(YJ) – Young Jae speaking
(DH) – Daehyun speaking
(HC) – Himchan speaking
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Young Jae…! Why is your bed so comfortable? I never want to leave when I’m here.” (HC) Himchan pushed his books away before letting the rest of him flop onto the bed. With his face buried into the bed sheets, Himchan mumbled something, but it was too inaudible to be understood. Young Jae frowned a bit as he turned to look at Himchan. He would have probably gone back to studying, but his curiosity was getting the best of him.
 
“Can you repeat yourself…?” (YJ) Himchan did as he was asked, but instead of lifting his head so that he was heard more clearly, he kept his face down. Young Jae let out a small sigh as he shook his head, turning back to his books as he continued studying. There was no point in trying to clearly hear things if Himchan was going to continue speaking in a muffled way.
 
When it was evident that Young Jae wasn’t going to persist any further, Himchan lifted his head and pushed himself up slightly as he looked at Young Jae. With a frown, Himchan reached for one of his books and pulled it back towards him before folding his arms in front of him and resting his chin on his arm. “Can’t we do something else BESIDES studying…? It’s so BORING!” (HC)
 
“You can if you want… I-I, um… I have to study for at least three hours…” (YJ) Young Jae could hear Himchan let out a groan as he moved around on the bed, but Young Jae continued to study regardless. He knew that studying wasn’t the most fun activity out there, heck he hated it just as much as everyone else, but it was something that he needed to do. “Um… We can… take a break if you want.” (YJ)
 
“YES! Let’s take a break! Come oooon! Let’s go on the rooftop!” (HC) Before any protests could be voiced, Himchan had hopped off of the bed and pulled Young Jae out of the chair before pulling him along. Young Jae never did understand why Himchan had such a fascination with high places. They were tall, scary, and could lead to an instant death if one slipped. Sadly, even if he protested against going onto the rooftop, Young Jae already knew that there was nothing he could do about it. It was just something that was bound to happen regardless.
 
Himchan seemed to be much more cheery as they began walking down the hallway of the apartment complex. Young Jae, luckily, had been able to swipe one of his books off of the table before they left, so he wouldn’t have to worry too much about focusing about their height. “Hurry up, Young Jae! The fresh air is calling out to us!” (HC)
 
Young Jae frowned a bit as he began to pick up the pace. Young Jae still couldn’t understand why Himchan loved really high places and he was fairly certain that he never will, but Young Jae would just have to endure it for the time being. It’s not too bad… as long as they didn’t end up dying or anything like that.
 
A few minutes had passed before the duo was finally on the rooftop of the apartment complex. As Himchan raised his arms out and made his way towards the edge, Young Jae stayed by the building, sitting as close to the wall as possible as he opened up his book and began reading. The only plus side he would give to rooftop places was the peaceful aspect it seemed to have. With the sunshine shining at a comfortable temperature and the wind blowing just gently enough to keep the cold air from chilling them to the bone, it was actually rather nice out here. It gave him the peaceful atmosphere necessary to enjoy his book.
 
“Young Jae! Get off your bum and get over here!” (HC) Young Jae looked up to see Himchan waving his arm for him to come over. He had a sort of nervous smile as Young Jae shook his head a bit before looking back down at his book. Sadly, it seemed like he wasn’t going to be getting very far as Himchan soon stomped his way over before bending over and pulling Young Jae’s arm. “Come on! You have to enjoy the view by the edge!” (HC)
 
“I-I don’t wanna go over there!” (YJ)
 
“Oh, come on! There’s nothing to be scared of!” (HC) As Himchan tried to pull Young Jae to his feet, Young Jae tried to pull his arm back, his free hand now on the ground in an attempt to grab hold of it. Despite their attempts to have it one way or another, it seemed like they were at about the same strength for the time being.
 
“I don’t wanna! I could fall off!” (YJ)
 
“Young… Jae…! You’re… being… stubborn!” (HC) Letting out a huge huff, Himchan finally released Young Jae from his hold before letting out an annoyed groan. Placing his hands on his hips, Himchan furrowed his eyebrows as he stared at Young Jae. Young Jae frowned a bit as he brought his knees closer to his chest. He stared up at Himchan, a bit worried that Himchan might hit him. It wouldn’t exactly be the first time its happened. “Young Jae! It isn’t that bad! Just enjoy the scenery!” (HC)
 
“N-No… I, um… I like it right here… where it’s safe.” (YJ) Himchan let out a sigh as Young Jae had a sort of embarrassed smile on his face. Shaking his head a bit, Himchan threw his hands up into the air in defeat as he sat down with his legs spread out in front of him.
 
“Fine. I guess it’s nice here too…” (HC) Young Jae didn’t necessarily understand as to why Himchan had decided to sit here with him, but it was always nice to have company at a scary place. Sure, he felt bad that Himchan couldn’t enjoy the scenery like he had hoped to do, but it’s not like he had forced Himchan to sit with him anyway. “Hey! What’s your class doing for the Fall Festival? My class is planning on making some games for everyone to play.” (HC)
 
“Um… I think we’re doing a haunted bakery…” (YJ) Himchan let out a small scoff as a sort of amused smile came onto his face.
 
“A haunted bakery?! What kind of idea is that?! It’d be better to have a restaurant or a normal bakery where the girls can dress cutely!” (HC) Himchan nodded in agreement to his own idea as his imagination began to roam. Young Jae knew that Himchan was the type to imagine such things, so he just merely shrugged it off. It would have been nice to have a cute little bakery, but that didn’t mean that they couldn’t make a haunted bakery cute too.
 
Well, for now, Young Jae would just have to wait and see how the planning process of everything would turn out. Tomorrow, everyone was supposed to start throwing in ideas and planning out how everything would turn out so that they could get everything done by the end of the month. Young Jae did wonder if they would be able to get everything set up, but he knew that Yongguk would make certain that everything would turn out well.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Morning!” (DH) Young Jae jumped and took a few steps forward before turning around to look at Daehyun quickly rushing underneath the umbrella. Daehyun attempted to wipe off some of the water droplets from his blazer before he looked at Young Jae with a slightly amused look. “Did I scare ya?” (DH)
 
“Y-Yes…” (YJ) Daehyun shook his head a bit, though he kept the smile on his face as he waited for Young Jae to turn back around before wrapping his arm around his waist. Young Jae turned a bit red from this, but he didn’t really say anything as they began walking. “U-Um… Are you really… going to come with me to school everyday?” (YJ)
 
“Until the rain stops, yeah.” (DH)
 
“Oh…” (YJ) Young Jae had a disappointed tone in his voice, to which Daehyun had been rather quick to note. A chuckle escaped from Daehyun, causing Young Jae to look up at Daehyun with a confused yet curious look on his face. Daehyun looked at Young Jae, a grin on his face as he gave Young Jae’s waist a bit of a comforting rub, to which Young Jae turned red about once more.
 
“Don’t worry! I think I’m liking walking to school with you. Maybe I’ll do it more often, even after the rain stops.” (DH) The longer their eye contact lasted, the more entranced Young Jae felt by Daehyun’s eyes. They were so lively, so warm, so inviting… he kind of wanted to stare into them for as long as humanly possible. However, while Young Jae was busy staring with an embarrassed smile on his face, Daehyun was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. He glanced here and there, but for whatever reason, he always found himself staring at Young Jae once more. Clearing his throat, Daehyun turned his head forward as he rubbed the back of his head a bit. “W-Well… uh, so are we walking to school again or are we taking the bus this time?” (DH)
 
“Um… I wanna go to the bakery again. Can we go?” (YJ) Every time he brought up the bakery, it seemed like Daehyun would become lost in thought. He really wanted to know why that was the case, but Young Jae knew that it was rude to pry into other people’s business.
 
“It isn’t open yet.” (DH)
 
“It isn’t…?” (YJ) Young Jae looked at Daehyun as he shook his head. How did Daehyun know when it opened? As if he knew what Young Jae was thinking, Daehyun briefly glanced at Young Jae before a smile graced his lips for a moment.
 
“I saw the store hours on the window. Unless you want to sit out there and wait, I doubt we’ll be able to get any pastries right now.” (DH) Young Jae slowly nodded in disappointment as the two safely took shelter underneath the bus stop roof. Closing the umbrella, Young Jae took his usual seat as he leaned the umbrella against the glass wall. Looking to his right, he could see that Daehyun had taken a seat comfortably three or four inches away from him. “What do you think about the rain?” (DH)
 
“The rain?” (YJ) Daehyun hummed in response as he placed his hands on his knees. Young Jae thought for a moment as he looked out at the rain, leaning back a bit as he felt his back lean against the back of the bench. “Um… I… I really like the rain. I like watching and listening to it. It’s usually… really calming.” (YJ)
 
“Ah… really? I think the same thing.” (DH) Daehyun moved a little closer to Young Jae, whom briefly glanced down at Daehyun’s thighs before moving a little away from Daehyun. Daehyun leaned back a bit, resting his arms on top of the back of the chair as he tilted his head towards Young Jae a bit. Feeling around for a brief moment, when he found Young Jae, he shifted his left arm onto Young Jae’s shoulders before giving Young Jae a bit of a comforting rub. “So, have you come up with that list yet?” (DH)
 
“L-List…? Um…” (YJ) Well, he hadn’t even really started on it. The only things he remembered that Daehyun said HAD to be on the list was being handsome and attractive… or was it something else? Either way, there were only two words currently on the list. “I-I’m sorry… I… I haven’t started it yet…” (YJ)
 
Daehyun glanced over to Young Jae, noting the sort of sad or disappointed look on his face. Was he getting bent out of shape just because of this list? With a small chuckle, Daehyun rubbed Young Jae’s shoulder once more as he looked back out at the rain. “Don’t worry about it! I was kidding about the list anyway. Don’t get so glum. I like it better when you smile, though that embarrassed look you get is pretty nice too.” (DH)
 
Young Jae shrunk into himself a little as his face turned slightly red. He was trying hard not to smile, which was his usual habit whenever he was embarrassed in a non-demeaning nature, but it was rather difficult to resist the urge. The second Daehyun noticed this; he briefly glanced at Young Jae before a chuckle escaped his lips. “Yeah! Just like that! It’s so cute. I really like seeing it, so show it to me often, okay?” (DH)
 
Daehyun held his smile as he reached up and pinched Young Jae’s cheek a bit. Young Jae only seemed to turn a deeper shade of red though as he looked away the second Daehyun released his hold. He didn’t necessarily like being treated like a little kid, but Young Jae decided not to make a fuss over it. It’s not like Daehyun has pinched his cheek often, though… this was only the third day that they’ve known each other. Now that he thought about it, Daehyun has become rather comfortable around him. Young Jae wasn’t certain if he should be happy or not about this, but if it brought him any comfort, then at least it showed that they were becoming closer friends… right? “Um… So… are we… friends?” (YJ)
 
“Are we?” (DH) Both males looked at one another for a brief moment. Young Jae blinked a few times innocently, waiting for Daehyun to give him an answer. When it was evident that Young Jae wasn’t going to answer his question, he let out a small chuckle before smiling and nodding his head. “Yeah. We’re friends.” (DH)
 
“Friends…” (YJ) Young Jae had a sort of giddy look on his face as he leaned in a little towards Daehyun. He was relatively happy that they really were friends now and he hoped that they could end up becoming and staying good friends as time passed. Of course, for now, he would have to wait and see how time’s effect would have on their friendship. He adjusted his hand a bit to help him from completely leaning against Daehyun, his smile turning into a comfortable one as he looked out at the rain.
 
“You like what you feel?” (DH)
 
“Hm?” (YJ) Young Jae turned his head towards Daehyun, whom had a sort of smirk on his face as he raised his hand and pointed downwards. Following Daehyun’s finger, Young Jae looked down at his hand before his face turned a deep shade of red. With a gasp, Young Jae quickly pulled his hand away from Daehyun’s thigh before he scooted a little away from Daehyun. “I-I-I’m sorry! I-I didn’t mean to do tha-“ (YJ)
 
“It’s alright! I get it. We all get a little curious here and there.” (DH) Young Jae stared at Daehyun with slight disbelief as he furiously shook his head.
 
“I-It isn’t like that! Really! It isn’t!” (YJ) Daehyun slightly chuckled as he reached up and ruffled Young Jae’s hair. He knew it wasn’t like that, though he was mostly assuming from what he knows about Young Jae so far. Daehyun just liked giving Young Jae a bit of a hard time since it made him act embarrassed. It was rather… well, cute.
 
“I’m just messing with you. Lighten up! I’ll make it up to you, how’s that?” (DH) Young Jae pursed his lips as he loosened up a little. As much as he wanted to scold Daehyun for being mean, the idea of Daehyun treating him to something was always a tempting idea as well. After all, he could potentially end up getting anything from this sort of arrangement!
 
“Okay… Then, um… h-how are you going to do that…?” (YJ) Daehyun had a bit of a smirk on his face as he folded his arms and leaned back in his seat. Young Jae leaned forward a little, his curiosity showing on his face as he waited for Daehyun to reply. Daehyun briefly glanced at Young Jae before his smirk seemed to get a little bigger.
 
“You’ll just have to wait and see. It’s boring if I tell you so soon.” (DH) Despite the fact that he wanted to continue to pry, Young Jae kept himself from doing so. If he was like his mother in terms of surprises, Young Jae knew that it was better not to ask. If he asked about it too much, then there was a possibility that Daehyun might end up taking back any surprises he had in store.
 
So, all he could do was wait patiently and hope for the best.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
During the majority of class, Young Jae had been sitting in his seat with his elbow on the table and the left side of his jawline resting in the palm of his hand. Although it looked like he was staring out the window, his mind was thinking about all the possible surprises Daehyun had in store for him. Each idea seemed to be better than the last and in turn, it seemed to increase both his happiness and his excitement. He really couldn’t wait until Daehyun kept his word.
 
“Can ANYONE answer this question?” A voice had briefly penetrated his thoughts, but Young Jae had quickly gone back to letting his imagination take over once more. His smile was slowly returning, but that voice seemed to interrupt his thoughts yet again. “ANYONE?”
 
Young Jae wanted to go back to his daydream and be happy once more, but a few taps on his back had disrupted his thoughts completely this time. Sitting up a bit, Young Jae turned around a bit to see Krystal pointing up at the front. Turning back forward, Young Jae looked up at the teacher, whom was currently looking at him with his arms folded. “Mister Yoo... I understand that you are completely capable of answering questions like this, but I would appreciate it if you would not daydream in the middle of my lesson. Now, come up and answer the question. Please show your work so that the rest of your classmates can learn how you came to your answer.”
 
“Y-Yes sir…” (YJ) A few giggles and chuckles escaped from his classmates as Young Jae got up from his seat and made his way to the front of the classroom. With his back turned to the rest of the class, Young Jae picked up one of the markers as he took the time to finally look at the problem given to him. He tried his best to ignore the obvious heat that seemed to be rising to his head as he attempted to mentally figure out the problem. It was embarrassing, but Young Jae was just glad that he knew how to answer the problem.
 
At least this way, it might make up for his daydreaming.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Pleeeeeease?! Can I pleeeeeease have my surprise now? Pretty pleeeeeease?” (YJ) At this point, the suspense was already killing him. It may only be lunchtime now, but Young Jae just couldn’t wait anymore. He was never really a patient person to begin with, so he really wanted the surprise that Daehyun had planned for him already. Sadly, Daehyun gave that usual chuckle of his before he leaned back in his seat and folded his arms with an amused smile on his face.
 
“Is it really killing you that much?” (DH) Without hesitation, Young Jae nodded, to which another chuckle escaped from Daehyun’s lips. Leaning forward a bit, he set his elbow on the table and put the left side of his jawline in the palm of his hand as he picked up his chopsticks. Well, to be honest, Daehyun didn’t even know what he was going to give Young Jae yet. There were a number of things that he could have given, but it didn’t seem like it was enough. “Is there anything specific that you want?” (DH)
 
“A-Anything I… want?” (YJ) Young Jae looked up as his thoughts began scrambling all over the place. There were so many things that he wanted, but he almost felt like he was making a wish of sorts. Being offered anything specific that he wants, but it was just one thing, so he couldn’t exactly just pick ANYTHING. Just like with a wish, he needed to think carefully. “Um… Can I… save it for later?” (YJ)
 
“Later? Alriiiight… If you say so.” (DH) Young Jae looked at Daehyun, noting the amused smile on his face as he started eating. Was it funny that he wanted to save it for later? It seemed like a good idea. At least that way, he would be certain of what he wanted, so he didn’t see the reason behind Daehyun’s amusement. However, Daehyun was more relieved than anything. This way, Daehyun would be off the hook of having to be the one to come up with something, so it was a good thing that the outcome turned out this way.
 
“I-Is it a… a bad thing that I want to save it for later…?” (YJ) Daehyun quickly shook his head as he looked away, his smile seeming to only grow as he began to hum innocently. Young Jae eyed Daehyun with suspicion, but he decided against questioning it any further. “Well… okay then…” (YJ)
 
After any suspicions had passed by, Daehyun glanced over at Young Jae to see him reading. His eyes focused in on the cover of the book and from what he could see, it was the same book he had been reading a few days ago. Daehyun was a bit surprised to see that he was still interested in that book, but to each his own. “So… you like medieval stuff?” (DH)
 
“Hm?” (YJ) Young Jae looked up from his book, his eyes landing on Daehyun’s face. From what he could see, Daehyun seemed either slightly curious or he was bored. Briefly glancing down at his book, Young Jae bit his bottom lip before nodding a bit. “Mhm. I really like the medieval era. Um… What do you like?” (YJ)
 
“Fighting! I like books with a bunch of action and guns.” (DH) Young Jae was taken by surprise by how excited Daehyun seemed to become from the mention of such things. It was interesting and all, but Young Jae wasn’t necessarily the kind of person who was all about the action. If it had an interesting story line along with lots of magic and medieval-like weapons, then Young Jae would most likely be interested in reading the book. “You know what else? Attractive characters on the front. Liiike….” (DH)
 
Young Jae blinked a few times as he watched Daehyun rummage through his bag. After a moment or so, Daehyun produced a book before setting it onto the table. Turning the book towards Young Jae, Daehyun slid the book towards him. When Young Jae noticed the title and the cover, his eyes widened with awe as he set his book down and delicately touched the book. “Wooow…” (YJ)
 
“See? Aren’t they attractive?” (DH) Young Jae blinked a few times before focusing a little more on the people. There were currently three people, all three with purple skin, long pointed ears, and revealing quite a lot of skin. Young Jae’s face turned a little red as he looked away, biting his bottom lip as he slowly pulled his hand away from the book.
 
“I think… a story is more interesting… if the storyline is good.” (YJ)
 
“The storyline in this book is good too! Here! Borrow it!” (DH) Young Jae attempted to voice his objections, but Daehyun had leaned forward and taken a hold of his hands before placing it firmly on top of the book. Once Daehyun had pushed the book towards Young Jae, Young Jae already knew that Daehyun wouldn’t listen to any sort of objections he had. “It really is good! I promise. So you better read it. You hear me?” (DH)
 
“O-Okay…” (YJ) Despite sounding disappointed, Young Jae looked down at the book with clear interest. The book was related to a video game that he loved to play when he used to play it, so learning a bit more of its story was always nice. Plus, this would probably be the first book from that game that he would read. If Daehyun was heavily recommending it, then that means that it must be good!
 
Delicately picking the book up with one hand, Young Jae bit his bottom lip as he carefully used his free hand to trail from the top of the cover to the bottom. The artwork was really pretty, something he aspired to be able to do one day. With an excited smile, Young Jae bent to his right a bit before setting the book down on top of his lunch bag. Looking back up at Daehyun, Young Jae nodded a bit as he picked up his chopsticks. “Thank you.” (YJ)
 
“No problem. Just tell me if you like it or not, alright?” (DH) Young Jae gave a small nod before he resumed eating. He was actually more looking forward to reading the book that Daehyun gave him as opposed to the one he was currently reading. Was that a bad thing? He hoped not.
 
Could he help liking one thing over the other?
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
[[ My Own Thoughts:
 
I know.
This chapter wasn’t all that exciting, buuut…
I’m working on it. X3
 
Comments are loved >3<…
I love talking with everyone. X3
Plus, I like to see if I am doing well with these chapters. X3 ]]