Back

In denial

JinYoung freaked out when he saw the red hair crying. Mark never seemed so weak. He knew he should be mad at Mark but JinYoung couldn’t help reach out his hand to wipe away those tears. That was his instinct. He had been taken care of Mark for so long. He couldn’t stand seeing the red hair got hurt.

“JinYoung ah….” - Mark cried out louder, like a big baby.

“Shhhh…. come on, why are you crying? I’m not dead aren’t I?” - JinYoung managed a little joke and he laughed a bit but even the small action made his stomach hurt. The black hair winced from the pain.

“I’m sorry, JinYoung ah… I’m sorry…” - tears wouldn’t stop flowing on Mark’s face but he held on to JinYoung’s hands tightly, as if it would lessened the pain.

The black hair said nothing. He just stared at those teary eyes. JinYoung knew Mark meant it. At first, he couldn’t believe Mark’s wrath was too much that it caused the red hair to hurt him like this. He didn’t even care about the physical pain, but this was really new to him. He was used to getting hurt from the feelings he built, now JinYoung had decided to put them away, how could he still get hurt? What more did Mark want from him.

“I shouldn’t hurt you. I shouldn’t say those words to you. It was my fault. I am so stupid!!” -Mark hugged the other’s hands tighter and brought it to his face. “You’re the most precious to me JinYoung. No one, nothing, can ever replace you. I understand that now.”

It was JinYoung’s turn to be stunned. He couldn’t move for a moment. Was this….. a confession?

“Okay, I know. I’m your best friend right? We’re cool. I’m not mad at you Mark. Just tell me to stay away next time you play dodge ball.” - He laughed awkwardly, trying to get rid of the tense atmosphere.

Mark had stopped crying. But his eyes were still sad. He knew JinYoung had not forgiven him. He knew the black hair was still upset with him for playing with his feelings. But the thing was… Mark didn’t anymore. He knew he would treasure JinYoung’s feelings from now on. He knew. Because Mark had got over his denial stage.

“No. JinYoung, I…” - Mark opened his mouth but the black hair quickly withdrew his hands.

“You should leave Mark. It’s late. You don’t want your family to worry right? Mom will be here to pick me up soon.” -JinYoung turned away. He couldn’t stand anymore minute looking into Mark’s eyes.

Please, Mark. Don’t. Not right now.

JinYoung didn’t know why he acted like this. He wasn’t the one to hold grudges. But this happened way too suddenly. Yesterday, Mark still flipped everything, yelling at him, hating him for letting everyone know their story. And today, Mark was here, sitting next to his bed, crying, almost confessing to him.

Maybe some magic force happened and Mark finally realize he loved JinYoung too. It was still too good to be true. JinYoung could somehow guess what this was. It was sympathy. It was guilt eating the red hair inside that made him spill out words like this.

He didn’t mean it. You can’t build up hopes anymore JinYoung. You can’t get yourself hurt anymore. Friends. That was just how Mark and I could be. Just friends.

“JinYoung ah…” - he could hear Mark’s voice broke when he called his name. But it was too late. JinYoung wanted to tell him that. For once, JinYoung would be selfish. He wanted Mark to suffer if the red hair truly loved him. As if, in my dream.

“Go home Mark. I need some sleep.”- he said and he could hear footsteps walking away. JinYoung turned back and saw Mark was gone. He faced the ceiling and a tear left his eyes. Why should he be sad? He wanted this to stop. He wanted all those hugs and those kisses to stop. Now he finally took a step and fought for his heart’s freedom. For once, he felt like he was no longer in Mark’s captive. He finally cared for himself. He finally letting Mark go. But why did it still hurt JinYoung so bad?

*

Mark cried all the way home. He felt so weak. He’s not a girl. He never cried before. Not for Yumi, not for any of his girlfriends. But now he was crying because of JinYoung. His heart clenched tightly when he remembered those stares JinYoung gave him. He messed up so bad. He had everything but again, he was too greedy.

He used to blame JinYoung, two days ago, that why the other boy had to confess to him? Shouldn’t their relationship stay that way forever…. Though now he understood how JinYoung felt all this time. Of falling in love but unable to say. Mark knew he didn’t have the rights. He hurted JinYoung. He deserved this.

Mark understood now, that they could never get back to what they were. No more secret hugs and kisses. No more sleeping in each other’s laps and tickled each other in warming arms. The red hair clutched his heart. He never felt this much pain. He missed JinYoung. Though the other would still be there, would still be his friend, his classmate. He would still see the black hair everyday, but things had changed.

*

School started the next day, as usual. The sun still shone, the wind still blew a nice breeze around the new leaves. JinYoung made his way into the school gate, limping.

“Damn” - he cursed under his breath. He never thought dodge ball could hurt this bad. He stopped walking and leaned himself against the wall. He put a hand on it and took a deep breath. Mom had told him to stay at home but something urged him to come to school.

“Are you okay?” - a hoarse familiar voice spoke to him. JinYoung felt his heart skip a beat.

“Mark?” - he turned around to see the red hair stood there, his backpack immediately left his shoulder and Mark ran to JinYoung’s side.

“Are you okay? You shouldn’t go to school if you’re hurt idiot!” - Mark grumbled angrily but JinYoung just let out a chuckle. Mark called him ‘idiot’ again, but he felt glad. At least they were back being friends. And Mark still concerned for him like this.

“I’m fine. I’m just a little tired.” - he said and tried to walk but he nearly fell again.

“Aish! Fine my !” - Mark handed JinYoung his backpack.

“What? You want me to carry this for you?” - JinYoung frowned.

“Of course, what do you think?” - Mark said calmly. In front of JinYoung’s surprise stare, he kneeled down. “Get on, princess.” - the red hair teased.

“People will judge us so hard.” - JinYoung attempted to make it as a joke. But he didn’t realize what he said after it left his mouth. There was silence. JinYoung kinda expected that Mark would leave. The red hair was always scared of being caught. On the contrary, Mark scooped closer and swept JinYoung off his feet and onto the red hair’s back.

“You’re heavier, you know.” - that sentence earned Mark a punch on the back but he let a smile appeared on his lips. JinYoung felt his face getting hotter and this had nothing to do with the sunshine directing at him. He indulge himself a little bit and letting his arms hugging around Mark’s neck.

Just a little bit. The black hair promised to himself.

“JinYoungie!!!” - Mark stood there clueless when he heard the voice, when he saw a familiar face that running towards him and JinYoung. He felt the boy behind his back quickly got down on his own feet and of course, surprised as well.

“Ja...Jackson!” - that was all the black hair could said before he was brought to Jackson’s embrace.

“I miss you babe.” - Jackson said, not even glancing at Mark. The two lovers were lost in their world, feeling beyond heaven when they finally got back to each other. JinYoung returned the hug and he felt happy seeing Jackson again. But something throbbed in his heart and reminded him to take a look at the red hair standing next to him.

Mark managed to put on a smile and raised his hands out to Jackson. “Welcome back dude!”

A/N: The long-awaitted Jackson is back! I didn't even realize I made this story Jinson even before Jinson became so popular these days lol ~ Still, MarkJin rules guys ^^ Leave a comment, subscribe! Love you !