Chapter 7: Mental Breakdown

We Can't Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The four of us are eating silently at the farthest corner of the cafeteria. Still having a mental breakdown. I mean, who wouldn’t be if you saw again the least person you wouldn’t want to see nor meet again? And it’s just not a one time thing. Because he is my classmate and very unluckily, my partner in that Art project. If only I excel in Art subject I wouldn’t have to do this project. I heaved a deep sigh as Hyemin broke the deafening silence.

            “Ya~ why are you all so down about this project thingy?” Hyemin asked a little worried.

            “Yeah, why all of you look so disappointed? Is it that bad to be paired up with us?” I looked up wide-eyed when I heard that familiar rich deep voice. I thought I was hallucinating as I saw Chanyeol grinning at us, beside him is Sehun with that pokerface on his face, Kyungsoo’s hiding his face by looking down, his ears colored in pink and Baekhyun is looking at me in the eyes, his face showing no emotion as they all hold their foodtrays. I broke the eye contact as I quickly looked away from his beautiful brown orbs.

Taehee coughed loudly as she choked on her own food. Hyemin tapped her back and was about to grab the glass of water when a big hand took it first and placed it into Taehee’s hands. The latter stopped from coughing as her eyes got bigger. Chanyeol giggled a little and said “Here.” Taehee’s cheek turned pink and just drank the water offered by him. I tried to pretend that nothing happened and continued eating instead. When I heard the chair beside screeched, I heard Baekhyun asked with a little grin on his face, “You don’t mind, do you?”

I just watched him took a seat beside me and the other boys followed suit. We’re cornered by these four guys and I groaned a little in frustration as I felt the atmosphere in the cafeteria become quite awkward and the chattering of the students’ quited down. I looked down and rolled my eyes. “Great. We’re the center of attention again.”  I whispered almost to myself. Then I heard Sookyung cleared loudly, practically saying that she doesn’t want any of the attention they’re giving us right now. Thankfully it worked. The atmosphere became lighter and I almost wanted to jump out of joy. I heard Chanyeol started a conversation with everyone but I didn’t pay any attention. Hyemin’s going to answer her anyways. I’ve noticed that they we’re quite similar with their attitudes so there. We all continued eating with Chanyeol and Hyemin’s cheery voice making the mood between us not awkward.

            “So, you hate attention, miss popular?” Baekhyun asked me softly with amusement heard in his voice. I glanced at him as he was sipping on his drink not even looking at me.

            “Isn’t it obvious?” I snarked sarcasticly. I just had this bad first impression of him so that is why I act a little ruthless to him. I heard him scoffed a little that gained the attention of the other people within our table.

            “Wow. Rude as always Ms. Yoon.” He snarked back, not even caring if his and my friends were watching us intently. I retrieved myself from eating and looked at him straight in the eyes.

            “We’ve only met twice. How can you say twice is always Mr. Byun?” I spit out the words from my mouth like they’re prohibited words especially when I said his surname. He stared intensely in my eyes and I just stared back. The atmosphere felt somewhat awkward because of our sudden outburst. Chanyeol was the brave one who broke the silence.

            “Ya~ Stop being childish, you too.” He said half-jokingly. I just rolled my eyes at Baekhyun and turned to eat my food again. I heard him scoffed at my rudeness but I wouldn’t care less.

Chanyeol and Hyemin started chatting again like nothing happened. I just shrugged it off and tried to unfocus myself from the fact that Byun Baekhyun is sitting right beside me. As soon as I’m done eating, I immediately stood up and grabbed my bag. I poked Sookyung on the cheek that has been hidden by her hair. “I’ll go first.” I said with a soft voice. Baekhyun also stood up and our heads turned to him because of his sudden actions. “I’ll go with you.” He stated which caused Chanyeol coughing so loudly. I tried to read his reason but he’s such a great pretender.

            “I don’t want to.” I said with stern eyes staring at him. I turned around ready to leave when I felt someone grabbed my arm. I felt shivers run down my spine at the sudden touch. I looked at Baekhyun who is still holding my arm. “Let go.” I commanded.

            “Why are you so rude to me?” He said irritated. I rolled my eyes at him. “I’m telling you to let go of my arm.” I said firmly. He just shrugged with a small grin shown on his face. I swayed my arm trying to be freed from his hold but it didn’t help. I looked at the ground muttering some words as I saw his foot. I broke into a smirk as a brilliant idea came to my mind.

            “I’m not a very patient person. For the last time, Byun Baekhyun, let go of my arm.” I whispered firmly. He just smirked at me and that’s the cue. I stepped on his foot and he finally let go of my arm as he shrieked in pain. I giggled at the scene and quickly walked away. I smiled and bowed lightly at the students looking at me.

I went straight to the back garden. We can probably call it our place. I sat down and leaned my head on the tree. I closed my eyes for a minute and giggled as I remembered Baekhyun’s red face earlier. I felt someone’s presence and I looked up only to see Hyemin frowning at me, Sookyung and Taehee looking down at the ground.

            “Ya! Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter