Chapter 6: Art Class Project

We Can't Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For 4 straight days, the four of us went to school early and went back home early. Obeying Soojung-unnie’s words. My brother merely talks to me and Sookyung said that its just the same for her, which indicates that they’re still mad. You tried to apologize to them but their answer would be “I don’t want to talk about it.” My friends and I sometimes communicate through the telephone mostly talking about school assignments and stuffs. We actually became quieter than usual. Still upset at ourselves for making them mad. Today is Friday and lunch break will be after this subject. Art Class. I’m not really in good terms with art that’s why I pay attention to this subject. I stopped writing as I heard the teacher announcing something very important.

            “Okay class! So, I know this is kinda early to announce but I am going to assign you your projects for this semester.” Some growled lowly in frustration and some whined quietly.

            “Don’t worry! I can assure you that making this project is going to be fun and it’s not hard at all.” She smiled sweetly at the class and all of you just listened to her, curious to what our project is. She showed us a transparent box containing white folded papers.

            “As you can see, I’ve made drawlets here. This is for you to determine who your partner is. There are only 2 sets of 15 numbers here; if you have the same number then you’ll be partners. It doesn’t matter if your partner is the same gender as you or the opposite one. Get one and pass, don’t look at it once you got one because you’ll be looking at the papers at the same time arasso?” She instructed as she passed the box from the first student in the class. I looked at my left when I felt Hyemin nudged me lightly in the arm.

            “Mwo?” I asked softly, raising my brow a little.

            “What if we’re not partners? Or the four of us?” She asked a little nervous since we haven’t really communicated with anyone in particular. It’s like we built up a wall between ourselves and the others. Maybe because of the fact that we’re afraid to be badmouthed or ruin our family names.

            “Hmmm. Then we have to cope up with it, Min. We’ll be fine. I hope so.” I said trying to convince her and also myself.

            “Eh? I don’t think so. What if they’ll not like us? Should I just get help from appa?” She muttered nervously while biting her fingernails. She’s like this if she’s getting really anxious about something. I abruptly grabbed her wrist and held it.

            “Min, look at me. We will be fine. We better not ask help from you father just because of this certain project. We must learn how to get along with other people. Okay? We’ll all talk about this later, arasso?” I sincerely said as I looked in her teary eyes. I sweetly smiled at her as I pinched her nose. “We will be fine, Hyemin. Don’t worry.” She scrunched up her nose and slightly smiled at me.

As soon as I got a paper, I felt my heart beating fast and it it loud for me to hear. I even wondered if Hyemin heard my heartbeat because it was so loud, I thought my heart’s getting out of its place. I nibbled on my lower lip and the insides of my cheek. I don’t get it why I’m so nervous about this thing?

            “Everyone! You can now open your papers,” She said with a loud voice. Everyone looked at their papers but I can’t seem to look at mine. Hyemin nudged me lightly in the arm and asked “Hey, what number are you? I’m number 12!” She said while looking at her paper. My hands unfolded the paper and take a look at it. “15” I whispered. The class became noisy asking what numbers are they, or if they know who’s the same number as theirs. “Class, settle down.” Ms. Park shouted through the noisy class. The class quickly obeyed the teacher and listen intently to what she says. “Your project is about how creative you are. This is all about photography. You will pass me a photobook with your pictures in it. It’s not just like a common photo album. I want it to have your own concept, it’ll be a story shown through pictures. Are we clear?” Everyone nodded their heads as she continued her statement. “I’ll call the numbers; stand up if you’re number is called so that you can know who your partner is, okay?” She said and started calling the numbers. Some are happy to be partnered with their friends and some are quite anxious to be partnered to whom they didn’t know at all.

Taehee stood up as the teacher called number 5. We all looked around but no one else is standing except for her. “5!” Ms. Park called out again and someone abruptly stood up causing everyone in the class turn to him. “Sorry Miss. I forgot my number.” His deep voice boomed through the classroom and he smiled cheekily at the teacher and bowed a little. “Kim Taehee and Park Chanyeol are the fifth partners.” She announced. Taehee looked at the guy named Chanyeol but she was a bit taken aback when she saw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter