Chapter 13: Starved Lunch

We Can't Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chae?! What happened to you?! Why are you panting?” Hyemin the first one to react shrieked while Sookyung is frowning at me and shock was written on Taehee’s face. I noticed the boys seating at the same table, question marks are visible at the top of their heads.

I grasp onto my knee, trying to regain my breath. People are ogling at me; maybe thinking I’m crazy. Who wouldn’t think that way? When I sprinted like someone is after me and busting into the cafeteria with an unusual entrance. Taehee handed me a cup of water and I drank it as soon as I held it. I thanked Tahee as I put my hand on my right chest, kinda hoping it would steady my heartbeat.

            “Yaaaaa~ Chaeeeeee~” Hyemin outbursts in a childish manner as she stomped her foot due to me ignoring her.

            “Why were you running?” Sookyung asked as I grabbed the seat beside her. All eyes of the people in this table were waiting for my answer. I noticed that students are still staring at me which made me stood up again and bowed to them slightly, “Oh! Sorry for the disturbance. Don’t mind me. Continue eating please.” I smiled as I bowed to them again. Thankfully, they went back to their own ways.

            “Chaeyoung, what the hell happened?” Sookyung asked obviously agitated while semi-glaring at me.

            “Oh that? Nothing. I was just running my way towards here.” I shrugged it off smiling, feigning ignorance of the not-so-obvious reason.

            “Why is that so?” Taehee asked searching through my eyes.

            “Mainly because I don’t want to hear your naggings of me being late or I making all of you wait, duh.” I rolled my eyes playfully, pulling on my act. “Oh about that, I’m sorry for making all of you starve yet wait for me.” I smiled as I added my apology.

            “That’s it?!” Hyemin asked astounded, raising my eyebrows at me. Jeez, they really know me. They know that there’s more into it.

            “Yes. Can we please eat now? I’m starving to death.” I clutched my stomach while pouting a little.

            “But that’s too shallow Chae. We know you.” Sookyung rolled her eyes at me.

            “Yeah, even I thought there’s more to it.” Sehun added, wearing his pokerface.

            “Me too! You were running like a mad man earlier.” Chanyeol also added enthusiastically.

My inner rolling her eyes at me, arms crossed in her chest and saying ‘you’re such a bad actress.’ Then I mentally rolled my eyes and retorted back ‘I’m just that easy to read like an alphabet, .’ I was about to answer their questions thinking I won’t be able to escape it anyway when someone tapped my back which made me jolt in my seat, startled. “.” I muttered under my breath when I felt my heart thuddering loud and wild against my ribcage.

            “I’m sorry. Did I scare you?” Baekhyun laughed like a kid at my reaction. I rolled my eyes at him before he dropped the bomb, “I’m just going to give this keychain to you. You dropped it earlier when we’re in the garden.” He smiled and I turned to look at gang’s reaction. Confused, and craving for the details. I facepalmed myself and groaned, hiding my face in my arms and the table. But before everyone will throw me questions- questions that I wouldn’t want to answer; I raised my right hand preventing them to interrogate me, propping my chin on my arms before saying, “Can’t we just eat lunch please? I promise I’ll answers your interrogations later. Lets just please eat. I’m really really starving, I swear.” I said half-irritated and half-anxious in a childlike way. I swear if they continue on this I’ll really burst out.

            “Since we’re all here, let’s eat now!” Chanyeol clasped his hands together, trying to avert their attention to him.

            “Okay. Everyone heard it. Chae promised.” Hyemin said smirking at me and I just rolled my eyes at her. The others laughed due to that. We were standing up, going to get our food when someone spoke coming from the speakers.

            “Good afternoon students! This is Kim Junmyeon, your class president speaking, asking everyone’s attention.”  Everyone stopped from their tracks, waiting for his announcement.

            “There’s a sudden meeting of our teachers called by the school’s president and due to this, everyone is compulsory to leave the campus as this day will be considered a half-day class. That’s all I’ve got to say, thank you and have a nice day.”

Some are wondering why we have to leave the campus just for their meeting however most are ecstatic about the news including my friends. Hyemin grinned like a little kid with her eyes shining and shaped into a heart.

            “Let’s go eat somewhere then! I know a good place.” She half-squeaked and the others nodded their heads and smiled, agreeing.

            “Duh, as if we still have a choice.” Sookyung said while rolling her eyes. I laughed at Kyung’s sarcasm as Hyemin glared at me. I held my hands up, succumbing to her.

            “Sorry. I’ll ask Soo-unnie then.” I winked at her still grinning like a kid. I dialled Soojung unnie on the phone and put it on loudspeaker. We leaned closer to each other for us to hear her. After the 5th ring, she finally answered.

            “Chaeyoung? What’s u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter