What Are You?

The Cold Ones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Krystal’s Pov

 

She led me through the school and out to her car. Which meant her family had taken more than one today. We got in, and we were speeding down the road at a speed that almost scared me. I had no idea where she was taking me.

 

“Can you slow down some?” I asked tentatively.

 

She just looked over at me, and pressed her foot down on the gas a little more. I sighed and shrunk back in my seat. After about ten minutes she pulled the car off on a dirt path and drove for a little bit more before stopping the car. 

 

“I didn’t mean to make you angry,” I whispered.

“Just get out of the car Krystal,” she said harshly stepping out.

 

I got out slowly. We were in the middle of the woods. Why did she have to bring me all the way out here just to talk. She began walking further into the woods, and I followed.

 

“A.J. this setting is a little too remote. I mean it’s not like you brought me out here to kill me,” I said trying to make a joke.

“Just a little further,” she said still walking.

 

After a few more steps the trees cleared, and I noticed that we were at the top of a hill. The drop off was so steep that it almost seemed like a cliff over hanging the field of grass below. It would have been a gorgeous site if it wasn’t so cloudy and grey in the sky. I stopped and watched her walk right to the edge. 

 

“So you want answers? You want to know what I’m afraid of?” she questioned looking at over the field.

“I do.”

“Well I’ve made it clear that it would be better for you if you didn’t know, but you won’t change your mind. I know that a lot of strange things have happened surrounding me that you have taken notice of. Most recently how could I get to the roof so fast if you saw me in the parking lot? How could I do that? It’s not possible,” she said turning to look at me. “It’s not possible…” she repeated stepping backwards towards the cliff.

 

She took another step, and another.

 

“A.J. stop!” I yelled.

 

But as I said that she stepped off the edge falling out of sight.

 

“A.J.! A.J.!” I yelled running over to where she had just been. I fell to my knees looking over the side. “No,” I cried out.

 

“How could I have possibly gotten to you so fast that day on the bridge?” I heard her voice say from a distance behind me.

 

I turned my head around very slowly. I’m hearing things. I must be. I turned and saw her standing where I had just been. She was perfectly fine, and was staring back at me.

 

“No this isn’t real,” I said more to myself.

 

I shifted myself back away from her towards the edge, on instinct. 

 

“Be careful,” she said suddenly concerned.

 

But I shifted back further from my place on the ground. I shut my eyes tight, and took a calming breath before opening them again.

 

“Come away from the edge,” she whispered now only a few feet away.

“What the hell is going on?” I said not moving.

“Just move away from there.”

“I must be dreaming. I have to be,” I said confused moving away from her.

“Krystal,” she scolded.

 

I closed my eyes again hoping to wake up from this dream. But I was suddenly being lifted into the air. I knew if I opened my eyes how close to me she would be. I could feel her walking somewhere. Her grip wasn’t tight, just secure. Safe. But the image of her stepping off the cliff came flooding back to me, and my eyes opened. Her face was a foot away from mine. She looked so controlled. Her eyes narrowed, and staring ahead. A wave of fear came over me.

 

“Put me down,” I pleaded pushing myself away from her with my hands.

 

She did so immediately.

 

“You were just too close to the edge. You wouldn’t listen.”

“Well going over the edge doesn’t seem to be a problem for you.”

“The only way I could answer your questions was to show you. You never would have believed me otherwise,” she said calm.

“I don’t even believe this! It’s more likely that I slipped on something and hit my head. And now I’m having this really crazy dream,” I said rubbing my head.

“You recognized all the strange things about me. You just didn’t know what they mean.”

“So what are you saying? What are you?” I asked backing away.

“I thought you said you weren’t afraid of me?”

“I’m just really confused,” I just trying to be convincing.

“Well being afraid is a natural response. You should be. Because I’m dangerous. Yes I can move fast, I can also do this,” she said moving over to the nearest tree.

 

She paused looking at the trunk, then made a fist with her hand and punched right into the tree. Her arm went elbow deep inside the large tree. I gasped, and my first instinct was for her safety. She pulled it out lightening fast, and there wasn’t a mark on her hand. Her long sleeve shirt was ripped in a few places from the tree. 

 

“You’re not bleeding,” I said as a train of thought.

“No. What do you think that means?” she ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter