Mall Occasions

The Cold Ones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal’s Pov

 

At the Mall

 

“Is it weird for you to watch me eat?” I asked as we sat in the food court.

“Not really. Is it awkward for you?”

“I just feel a little guilty that you aren’t, even though I know you can’t. Do you remember what food taste like?”

“Somewhat. But I never had any of the modern foods you eat. I can certainly tell you that the Chinese cuisine that I was used to wasn’t anything like what you are having,” she said laughing.

“Yeah Americanized Chinese food. It’s probably not even that healthy for me,” I said picking at my plate of food. “Is it hard to be around large crowds of people? I just thought that it might be more tempting for you.”

“Please don’t worry about me. I have survived high school many times over, I am used to large groups of people.”

“Well I’m going to go to the bathroom before we start walking around again.”

“Ok I’ll throw this away for you,” she said taking the tray. “And meet you over there.”

“Thanks.”

 

When I was making my way out of the restroom I noticed her begin to walk towards me from a few stores away. But as she was walking I noticed some sunlight that broke through the clouds and was coming through the window in the ceiling. In a few more steps she would be walking right into the light. Did she not see it? How could she not? But she kept walking. I couldn’t help but run over to her.

 

“A.J. stop! The light!” I said throwing myself at her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“The sunlight. You were going to walk into it,” I explained.

“Oh, Krystal. I’m sorry that you were afraid. It’s ok. It’s only direct contact that can hurt me. If it is diluted through a window it can’t harm me. See?” she said holding her hand into the ray of light.

“Stop,” I said pulling it back. “Don’t,” I said feeling emotional.

“Hey,” she said putting her arms around me.

“Everyone must think I’m crazy. Running at you like that. I’m so embarrassed,” I sighed hiding my face against her.

“Don’t worry about what they think. It doesn’t matter. You thought I was in danger. I think it was very brave what you did.”

“Just the thought of something bad happening to you, I can’t even bear to imagine it. To think about you burning-“ I whispered sadly.

“Calm down,” she said before kissing the side of my side.

“Funny enough that didn’t calm me down,” I said.

“Just take a breath. No one is in danger. We are at a mall.”

“Have I been hugging you for an unreasonable amount of time?” I wondered.

“For being in public probably. But if it was just us, I don’t think there is such a thing,” she said smiling at me.

“Good to know,” I said finally separating myself.

“Here,” she said taking my hand. “Let’s just walk around some more.”

“Ok,” I agreed.

 

We started walking again and I placed my other hand on her arm holding tight. I am still feeling very jumpy.

 

“Look at this store. Is it really that close to prom?” I asked pointing to a window display that had a prom theme.

“Do you want to go in?” she asked.

“Um…I thought you hated the idea of prom.”

“That’s not what I asked. If you want to look around then I’m happy to go in with you.”

“I’m not the most coordinated person normally. If you add a dress, and heels the chances of me making a fool of myself triple.”

“Come on. You haven’t stopped looking at that dress since we’ve been standing here. It doesn’t hurt to look,” she said pulling me into the store.

“Hello is there anything I can help you with,” a sales clerk asked coming up to us.

“Yes actually. She would like to try on that dress that you have in the display there,” A.J. told her pointing to it.

“What happened to just looking?” I asked shocked.

 

She just shrugged.

 

“Of course what size are you miss?” she asked me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter