Safe

The Cold Ones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Krystal’s Pov

 

We went on avoiding each other for a week. Barely any words were exchanged between us, even in class. I wasn’t going to back down. If she wanted me to forgive her for being so rude to me, she was going to have to make an effort. On Saturday night I decided to drive to the next town over, and just have a night to myself. I walked around the town, and got some coffee at a cafe. Around eight I decided to stop in the bookstore down the street and look around. It felt like ages since I had been in one. I found a nice edition of Romeo and Juliet that I decided to buy. Unlike most of my classmates I didn’t look at our english reading assignments as work. I just loved to read, and lose myself in another world. And this Shakespeare tragedy made all of my problems look like nothing. Carrying my shopping bag I left the store and headed back to my car. It was cold out tonight. So I buried my hands in my coat pockets. Stores were closing and there weren’t many people around.

 

“Can you spare any change?” a raggedy looking man asked, stopping in front of me.

“Um…no I’m sorry,” I said trying to step around him.

“Wait,” he said touching my arm. “You can’t spare a few dollars? You get to go shopping, and I have to starve?”

“I…I didn’t mean…” I stuttered backing up out of his grasp.

“You can’t find it in your heart to help me? A pretty girl like you? What is a pretty girl like you doing out here alone?” he asked.

“I’m not. I…I’m meeting my boyfriend. He’s just down the block,” I lied trying to assess how quickly I could reach the pepper spray in my purse.

“Boyfriend? He must not be very smart to let you walk around by yourself. There are a lot of people that might want to take advantage of a young girl like you,” he said leaning closer.

 

I was deciding if I should run, or reach for the pepper spray when a heard someone walk up next to me.

 

“Get away from her,” the voice almost growled.

 

It was her. A.J. was here. The man stepped back surprised at another person.

 

“You must be the boyfriend,” he whispered.

“Go as far away from here as possible,” she said.

“You don’t scare me,” he scoffed.

“Now! Or I’ll make you regret it!” she yelled.

 

I saw the man’s face change. I couldn’t see A.J.’s face because I was behind her. But something in her face had scared him. He quickly backed away, and then turned and ran down the nearest side street. I didn’t know what to do. I could feel the anger rolling off of her. Without thinking I grabbed the pepper spray out of my purse and pointed it at her.

 

“How did you know I was here?” I asked.

 

She turned to face me.

 

“Oh now you take that out.”

“Answer me. Are you stalking me?”

“Krystal put that down,” she said stepping closer.

“No. I want some answers now,” I insisted.

“Krys-“

 

I sprayed her right in the face.

 

“Why did you do that?” she asked using her shirt to wipe her face.

“Did that not hurt?” I asked perplexed why she didn’t seem to be in pain.

“It stings. If you must know. But if you want me gone fine. I saw you when I was driving by and I was concerned, I’m sorry for caring,” she sighed.

 

She winced trying to rub her eyes. What have I done?

 

“I’m sorry. I have a bottle of water. It should help,” I said taking it out of my purse and handing it to her.

 

She uncapped the bottle and poured some on her face. After drying her face with her shirt she looked back at me.

 

“What were you doing driving over here?” I asked curious. 

“I was picking up something for my dad.”

“I feel so stupid.”

“You are for being out here alone,” she said seriously.

“I had the pepper spray.”

“I’m so glad that you know how to use it,” she laughed.

“I just didn’t think…with this being a small town and all.”

“There are dangerous people everywhere. Don’t forget that.”

“Well it seems like you keep saving me,” I whispered.

“You should be more careful.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter