Everything Is Different Now

The Cold Ones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Krystal’s Pov

 

Today was turning out to be the most pleasant day I’ve ever spent with A.J. In biology class she actually seemed relaxed for once. She made me laugh by predicting what the teacher was going to say. I couldn’t stop myself from taking glances at her. I finally felt like I was beginning to know and understand her.

 

“Are you even paying attention?” she whispered to me.

“Yeah, of course,” I lied looking back at the teacher.

“Just because I’ve heard the lecture on DNA a hundred times doesn’t mean you don’t have to listen.”

“But doesn’t that mean that you can teach me if I don’t get it now?” I asked.

“Maybe it’s you who is being a bad influence on me. If only your mom knew that.”

“I’m trouble,” I chuckled.

“Ms. Jung is there something you need to discuss with all of us?” the teacher asked.

“No Mr. Adams,” I told him embarrassed.

“Then please pay attention. There will be a quiz on this material next week.”

“Yes sir.”

“You really are trouble,” A.J. said quietly.

 

When the bell finally rang, I gathered my stuff and put it in my back pack.

 

“So lunch is next,” I heard A.J. mention.

“Yep.”

“Well did you maybe want to sit with me?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I admitted happily.

“Great,” she said standing up.

 

She walked by me talking my backpack again.

 

“Are we pretending that it’s your bag now?”

“No, you can carry the twenty pound bag if you want,” she smiled holding it out to me. “I was trying to save your back, but it’s up to you. I don’t get why you need to carry almost all your books at once.”

“They aren’t all schoolbooks,” I said.

“What? Do you have some books in here for some light reading if you get bored in the middle of a class?” she asked ping the bag, and looking inside.

“A.J. don’t,” I said standing up.

“Wait I’m just trying to see if you have an encyclopedia in here,” she laughed putting her hand inside it.

“Just give it back,” I told her trying to get it from her.

 

But just as I said that she pulled out what I was hoping she wouldn’t find. She stopped laughing, now looking at the copy of Macbeth that she had given me.

 

“You’re carrying this around with you?”

“I was just in the middle of reading it so….” I trailed off taking it from her.

“I didn’t know if you would actually read it.”

“Of course I would. And now I understand why you like it more. I mean because of the notes you wrote.”

“That copy is practically an antique. It’s almost fifty years old.”

“Really?”

“No I got it at a barnes and noble three years ago, it’s just really worn out.”

“You’re a jerk,” I said pushing her.

“Easy there champ. You ended up hurting your hand last time you pushed me.”

 

I gave her a surprised look.

“I didn’t forget, when you marched up to me in the parking lot with your angry face.”

“You know I’m not really feeling up to sitting with you at lunch anymore.”

“Put the book in the bag,” she said.

 

I placed it back, and zipped the bag.

 

“I’m flattered you are enjoying the gift. Please sit with me. It would hurt me if you rejected my offer.”

“Where is my big gesture?”

“I’m carrying your bag. I drove you to school. What more do you want?” she asked coming closer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter