nine

Gloves and Syringes

Jiwon couldn’t sleep for the whole night. Whenever she closed her eyes, images of her parents would appear and would scare the out of her. She would rather see a ghost than them. Another thing was that she couldn’t help but think about Khun’s words. About how she was hurting someone else to cover up her own wounds. For the first time in forever, she didn’t get any rest at all tonight.

 

The next day, Jiwon decided to take a day off. She felt really dizzy and knew her fever had come up again. She felt too weak and sleepy to go anywhere it would be a good idea to stay home than getting hit by a bus. Although she was annoyed by Khun last night, she can’t help but feel guilty. She did kind of cross the line.

 

Meanwhile, Nichkhun too didn’t feel like attending class. All night, he kept thinking about her. He wondered how cruel her parents were to the point she became someone so heartless. Although the things she said about him and his parents hurt him a lot, he knew she didn’t really mean it. Maybe he pushed a button in her that made her uncomfortable and being mean was some sort of a defense mechanism.  

 

Khun had a feeling she would skip class today too because she was still sick, so he planned on making up with her. He went to street food vendors to get some food for compensation and flowers for something extra. Walking up the stairs of her apartment building was harder than he thought as the variety of scenarios ran through his mind. It good either go two ways: she would let him in or she would kill him. Nevertheless, he’d take the risk.

 

On the other hand, Jiwon was quietly watching TV when the bell rang. She thought it was her pizza and grabbed her wallet from her room before walking towards the door. It was 11am and she hasn’t taken a shower yet. Her hair was all over the place and she was still wearing her pajamas; a checkered pajama bottom and an oversized Arsenal jersey.

 

She opened the door and was about to open her wallet when she saw an all too familiar smile standing in front of her.

 

“Hey, I was hop-

 

Before he could finish his sentence, Jiwon shut the door. Unfortunately for her, he kind of expected it and blocked her closing the door by putting his foot between the door. Of course it hurt like hell, but the pain was worth it… maybe.

 

“You know I’m a lot stronger than you and can easily push this door open. Just let me in” Nichkhun said.

 

Jiwon didn’t listen to him and kept pushing the door close. The pain in his foot started to worsen so he had no choice but to use his strength and push the door open. A weak Jiwon was caught by surprise and fell back on her bum. Nichkhun walked in, closed the door, and put the things he bought on the kitchen table along with his suitcase. Jiwon stood up while glaring at him.

 

“Why the are you here? It's too early to rip each other's heads off.” Jiwon said.

 

“It's 11am..” He replied.

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes before sitting on her couch again. She knew there was no way she could tell him to leave without hurting him again. 

 

“Do you really want me to hurt you with my heartless words again? Your presence makes my head hurt." 

 

“My parents already gave me permission to stay here so they won’t need to be worried about their precious son anymore.”

 

Jiwon’s mouth fell open when he said the words ‘stay here’. Was he being for real?

 

“I told my mom I wanted to be roommates with you so she let me. She said it’s good for me to be independent.” Nichkhun continued as he took out the food he bought.

 

“Your mom let you stay with someone you just met from campus?”

 

“She let me stay with my girlfriend that I met on campus to be exact. So my mom now knows you as my one and only girlfriend.” He calmly said as he took out some plates from the rack.

 

Jiwon’s body felt numb as she let her phone drop to the ground. Her eyes were double its size by now as she froze on her spot.

 

“Girlfriend? What are you smoking Khun? Weed? Coke? Your own ?" Jiwon asked, still in shock.

 

Before she could say something else, he stuffed with a pieve of fish cake. 

 

“What’s so bad about being my girlfriend? I’m handsome, y, rich, and intelligent. That’s the full package right there.”

 

Jiwon took the fish cake out of and threw it at him.

 

“I would rather kill myself than be your girlfriend.”

Nichkhun chuckled as he moved the plates of food to the coffee table. 

 

"How could you be okay with everything after yesterday? We're gonna fight a lot if you stay here," Jiwon said. 

 

"I learn to forget and forgive with people who I see potential in," he replied. 

Potential? You gotta be kidding me, she thought. 

 

“I personally despise having roommates, especially erted ones,” Jiwon said.

 

Nichkhun took a seat next to Jiwon.

 

“I'll pay rent for you and do whatever you want. Just let me stay~" he begged. 

 

"Why don’t you rent another room or something? ” Jiwon replied.

 

“All other rooms are booked... Pleaseeeeeeee~” Khun said, letting out his aegyo.

 

Jiwon’s face showed pure horror as she pushed Nichkhun’s face away from hers. 

 

“Promise me to not be annoying and mind your own business. If you piss me off, I will burn you alive. Pay the water and electricity bills too.” Jiwon said, finally giving up.

 

Nichkhun’s face light up as he engulfed her in a big hug.

 

“Thank you~ I’ll be the best roommate ever!” He exclaimed.

 

Jiwon was slightly happy that she would have a friend with her at all times now. Maybe letting Khun stay was a good idea… maybe?