five (edited)

Gloves and Syringes

“Jiwon?”

 

“You know this ?” Nichkhun asked.

 

“Who the are you calling an , face!?” Jongmin exclaimed.

 

“Probably just an Khun. Let’s go.” Jiwon said as she grabbed Nichkhun’s hand and pulled him with her.

 

Nichkhun was surprised at her sudden touch and started walking. Jongmin grabbed her other hand and pulled her back.

 

“That’s not really nice jagi. Don’t you remember who I am?” Jongmin smirked.

 

What?! Jagi? Nichkhun yelled in his head.

 

Jiwon harshly shook his grip off her as she stared intensely into his eyes.   

 

“Don’t you ing dare touch me.”  She replied.

 

Jongmin grabbed her hand again, tighter this time.

 

“Don’t be rude to your fiancé. How about we have lunch together?” Jongmin offered as he pulled her into the restaurant.

 

Nichkhun had enough of this. He wasn’t going to give up easily and pulled Jiwon back to his side.

 

“I got her first. It’s clear that she doesn’t want to go with you anyways. She hates these types of restaurants.” Nichkhun said.

 

“You can’t take her away from her fiancé!-

 

Ex-fiancé. I’m not under my parents’ care, I don’t use their money, and all I have now comes from my hard- work. So that means I am not your fiancé anymore you piece of .” Jiwon explained, her voice stern but shaky.

 

Nichkhun sensed her fear as he squeezed her hands to assure her that he’s with her. Jiwon turned around, not giving Jongmin another look. Of course Jongmin didn’t want to let her go and tried grabbing her shoulder, but Khun was fast enough to push him down before he could touch her. Jongmin screamed in pain.

 

“She made it clear that she doesn’t want to talk to you anymore. Get a hint .” Khun said before both of them continued to walk.

 

When they were quite far away, Jiwon pulled her hand out from Nichkhun’s grasps and covered her face.

 

“If we had stayed longer with him, I would’ve killed him already.” Jiwon said.

 

“Are you okay though?” Nichkhun asked.

 

Jiwon chuckled at how unusual Nichkhun is right now.

 

“Why are you so concerned today? You clearly wanted to kill me yesterday. What happened?” She joked.

 

“I don’t know… You’re just comfortable to be around honestly. And it’s not awkward.” Nichkhun said without realizing.

 

Jiwon pursed her lips before laughing.

 

“Did I really just say that…?” Nichkhun asked, embarrassed about what he just said. She was right though, he isn’t his usual self today, or when he’s around her.

 

“I’m fine. Let’s just eat. I’m starving~” Jiwon said.

 

“But where should we eat?” Nichkhun asked.

 

From the corner of her eye, Jiwon saw a small Italian restaurant across the street. It was not as fancy as the one before and a bit more home-y.

 

“Let’s eat there,” Jiwon pointed at the place before pulling Nichkhun with her to cross the street.

 

When they walked inside, they were seated in a booth. There were a couple of people, but the place was nice and quiet.

 

“What is this place…” Nichkhun muttered, his eyes wandering the place.

 

“It’s an Italian restaurant. More home-y and quiet than that other one you like,” Jiwon said.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever go back there again knowing that an goes there,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“Speaking of him, were you guys really engaged?” He asked, curious about their situation from before.

 

Jiwon didn’t really want to talk about it and tried to change the subject.

 

“So, what business did you need to discuss to me about?”

 

“Don’t change the subject. I want to know more about your ‘situation.’”

 

This guy is seriously nosy…

 

“My parents were in deep so they needed another company to help them out. Set me up with a son of a rich investor. I ran away with the money I saved and started fresh.” Jiwon explained.

“Didn’t they like try to get you back?” Nichkhun asked.

 

“I told them they couldn’t. I’m an adult already so they had no right to bring me back. They told me that I had to go back because I’m basically living off them. I told them that I never asked anything from them. They gave me all the expensive stuff because they wanted to, not because I asked for it. They said I’d probably come crying to them when my money’s all gone, but look at me now. I have a nice part-time job that pays me enough and I already paid all the tuition money for medical school. They’re dead to me anyways.” Jiwon said. She actually felt a bit at ease after letting everything out.  

 

Nichkhun was speechless yet again. He was amazed by her story. And he felt sad for her too. It isn’t fair that her parents didn’t love her. It isn’t fair that she had never felt a parent’s love. It isn’t fair that she’s never been loved.

 

“I don’t know what to say-

 

“Don’t feel bad for me. I’m perfectly fine.” Jiwon said, her breath shaky.

 

She promised herself that she would never cry again, especially in front of someone because she believed that it’s a sign of weakness. But her heart hurts too much to not let the sadness out. Nichkhun put his hand on hers and caressed it.

 

“I actually ‘kidnapped’ you to interrogate you about your life, but I don’t think that’s necessary anymore. I know it’s just been 2 days since we met, but I feel so comfortable around you. I’m not used to having friends, so I hope you’ll become my first.” Nichkhun said.

 

Jiwon let out a sad chuckle.

 

“That’s so cheesy you know? Please don’t ever say something like that again,” Jiwon said.

“Sorry, but I promised myself I would turn your life into a living hell from now on so you better get used to it sunshine,” Nichkhun playfully replied.

“Stop calling me sunshine; it’s weird.”

“It’s the name of that kindergarten you work at right?”

“It’s sunflower idiot.”

Nichkhun rolled his eyes and asked for the menu.