twelve

Gloves and Syringes

Jiwon arrived at the kindergarten around 10 minutes before 8. Byul questioned her the first second she stepped inside the kindergarten. Usually, Jiwon would arrive half an hour before 8 or even an hour. Arriving later than usual worries Byul because there’s no one she can contact if anything ever happens to Jiwon. Jiwon assured Byul that she just woke up late and told her not worry.

 

When Jiwon walked inside her classroom, some kids were already sitting down, chatting with each other. Some moms were still there talking with each other while bidding goodbyes to their children. As the bell rang, everyone became quiet and Jiwon started the lesson.


“Thank you for working hard class. Have a nice day~” Jiwon said, smiling at each one of them.

 

As she was packing up her stuff, one boy named Jin walked up to her and tugged on her shirt.

 

“Oh Jin, is there anything I can do for you?” Jiwon asked. 

 

Jin took out a snack box along with a card taped on top and gave it to her.  

 

“Eomma made caramelized sweet potatoes (goguma mattang) last night and I told her you liked sweet potatoes. She told me to give you some.” Jin replied.

 

Jiwon’s face lit up when she mentioned sweet potatoes and crouched down.

 

“Gomawo~ I’ll eat them all. Tell your mom I said thank you, okay?” Jiwon said, ruffling his hair.

 

Jin nodded and smiled.

 

“Oh, and open the letter after you eat okay. It’ll give you energy!” He said before saying goodbye and walking out of the classroom.

 

Jiwon smiled at his cuteness. This isn’t the first time Jin has given her food. His mom even came to school from time to time to feed her. It’s all because Jin is too shy to make friends and Jiwon helped him gain lots of them. His mom is really thankful for that since she herself is busy being a single parent and working after her husband passed away.

 

After locking her room, she walked towards the front office where Byul was sitting.

 

“Yah! A guy came by to ask when you’d be done. He looked really handsome… is he your boyfriend?” Byul asked.

Jiwon gave Byul a weird look before leaning on the desk.

 

“I’m single dude… but did you answer him? Who knows he might be a stalker or something.” Jiwon replied.

 

“I thought that too at first, but he used aegyo on me. I just couldn’t resist… and if he is a stalker, you should be lucky to have such a handsome one.” Byul said with a wink.

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes and was about to reply something when a hand suddenly placed itself across her shoulders.

 

“Did I just hear something about you having a handsome stalker my dear Jiwon?” Chanwoo asked.

 

Jiwon sighed at his appearance before pushing his hands of her shoulders.

 

“Apparently I do. Aren’t you supposed to be in a meeting or something?” Jiwon replied.

 

“Awww, you keep track of my schedule!” Chanwoo squealed.

 

“No… Byul told me that earlier. I was happy since I didn’t need to see your face today, but I guess another day is ruined for me. ” Jiwon replied.

 

Chanwoo looked a bit hurt while Byul tried to not laugh out loud. Ever since Jiwon started working there, Chanwoo had kept trying to flirt with her and use all his ‘tactics’ to get her. He isn’t Jiwon’s type since he’s clingy and too cute, but he still didn’t get that message.

 

 “Your classes start at 11 right? Let me drive you there.” Chanwoo offered.

 

“Uh, no thanks. I’ll ride the bus since it’s faster.” Jiwon replied.

 

“No I insist. We’ll arrive in no time!” Chanwoo said, grabbing her wrist and pulling her to the door.

 

Byul stood up and was about to help Jiwon when someone came in and pulled Jiwon away from Chanwoo.

 

“I’m sorry but she’ll be going with me.” Nichkhun said as he gripped on Jiwon’s wrist protectively.

 

Both Chanwoo and Byul were shocked by his sudden appearance. Byul recognized him as the guy who asked about Jiwon earlier.

 

“Excuse me, but who the hell are you?” Chanwoo asked, not wanting to lose against Khun.

 

“He’s my-

 

“Boyfriend. Nice to meet you.” Nichkhun said, surprising everyone again.

 

Jiwon closed her eyes and grunted. Chanwoo couldn’t keep his mouth closed and Byul clapped in excitement.

 

“Song Jiwon! He was the guy who asked about you earlier… I thought you were my best friend? Lying to me about having a boyfriend.” Byul said excitedly.

 

“Byul he’s not-

 

“Jagiya, we have to go or we’ll be late for class. We have to make up for skipping class yesterday~” Nichkhun said, cutting Jiwon’s words once again.

 

Jiwon was baffled by his sudden aegyo and tried to wiggle her wrist out of his grasp.

 

“It was nice meeting all of you, but we have to go. See you again!”

 

Nichkhun happily dragged Jiwon out of the door and onto the streets. He led her to where his car was parked and unlocked it.

 

“You crazy bastard! How could you!?” Jiwon yelled.

 

“What’s wrong with me introducing myself? Consider this as revenge for what you did this morning.” Nichkhun replied as he opened the car door.

 

“The ? All I did was sleep on the ing couch! Why do you have to make it such a big deal?!” Jiwon yelled again.

 

Nichkhun pushed her in the car before closing the door. Jiwon was quite pissed by his actions in the kindergarten. Nichkhun came in from the other side and closed the door.

 

“I don’t like liars. You seem to be very good at it though…” He said before leaning to Jiwon’s side and putting on her seatbelt for her.

 

Jiwon scowled and pushed him away before putting on her seatbelt.

 

“I can do it myself… so annoying.” She muttered under her breath.

 

Khun heard that and smiled to himself before turning on the car.

 

“You should be thankful to me instead of yelling at me you know… I saved your back there.” He said as he started driving.

 

“Saved me my . I had it in there. All I needed to do was push him away and run for it. You didn’t have to make such a grand entrance.” Jiwon replied.

 

“Well a prince needs to make a grand entrance for his princess~” Nichkhun teased, earning a scowl from Jiwon.

 

“That is the most cringe-worthy thing you’ve said all day. And it’s just been a couple hours since the day started!” Jiwon replied.

 

Nichkhun chuckled in reply.

 

Jiwon then remembered the sweet potatoes Jin had gave her and quickly took them out of her bag. She opened the lid and inhaled the amazing caramelized scent. With a clean hand, she took one piece and put it in . Fireworks started to explode in her head as her taste buds burst in happiness.

 

“What’s that?” Nichkhun suddenly asked, interrupting her small moment.

 

“One of my students gave me this earlier. His mom likes to cook me food…” Jiwon answered before popping another piece in my mouth.

 

“I want one,” Nichkhun said.

 

Jiwon shoved the container in front of his face, waiting for him to take one.

 

“Feed me idiot… I’m driving.”

 

Jiwon gave her ‘oh right’ look before using her finger to take on piece and feed him.

 

“Oh my god this is amazing! Especially when I can taste a bit of Song Jiwon’s fingers.” Nichkhun teased.

 

Jiwon choked on the piece she was chewing while hitting Khun’s arms with force.

 

“Jesus that hurts! I’m just saying the truth~”

 

“You’re gross and really erted… maybe that was one of the reasons why I’m scared of sleeping next to you.”

“Scared?”

“What? Uh… I m-meant uncomfortable.”

 

Nichkhun nodded, but kept that in mind. Maybe he could use it tonight to force her to sleep on the bed.

 

“Ooo what’s that?” Nichkhun asked, pointing at the small card on the lid.

 

Jiwon saw the card and took it out. She opened it and smiled when reading the content.

 

“Jin’s so sweet~~~~ I wish he was older. He's boyfriend material..” Jiwon jokingly said.

 

Khun’s stomache churned to the sound of that.  

 

“What did he say?” Khun asked, his voice sounding more serious this time.

 

“Woah, you sound so serious all of a sudden… are you jealous?” She teased.

 

Nichkhun scoffed before speeding a bit. He didn’t know why it bothered him so much though….

 

“He wrote that he’ll bring me more food so that I can have more energy and said that I’m his favorite person other than his mom. He ended with an ‘saranghaeyo noona.’ So cute~!”

 

Nichkhun didn’t like the ending of the letter… Pshh… saranghaeyo my . You don’t know what love is yet kid! Go flirt with someone your own age…. Wait… why the hell am I so bothered by this? He’s a kid for Christ sake! And she’s just… ah I don’t know.

"He calls you noona?" 

"Yeah, since we're close and all." 

 

Both Nichkhun and Jiwon didn’t talk for the remaining car ride and arrived shortly. They walked to class together quietly.


After class ended, Jiwon felt so free and tired. She was hoping to quickly go home and take a really nice hot shower. Nichkhun agreed with her as he too felt really tired. As they walked to the parking area, a group of people called Nichkhun’s name. Both Khun and Jiwon turned around and spotted 5 guys and a girl walking towards them. On the other hand, Jiwon felt a tap on her shoulders and turned around.

 

“Oppa?”