eighteen

Gloves and Syringes

“We’re really sorry for burdening you guys,” the twins said as they bowed the 6 guys in front of them.

 

“We weren’t troubled at all hyung,” Minjun replied, smiling at the two.

 

“She’s like a little sister to us, even though we haven’t really met her often, so it was scary to see her like that,” Junho continued.

 

The twins smiled as they bowed again.

 

“Nichkhun, we’re really sorry for the trouble our sister caused. You must be tired from all that running,” Jimin said.

 

“What do you mean tired? I was just getting started,” Khun joked, making everyone chuckle.

 

“But I wasn’t troubled at all hyung,” he continued.

 

The twins smiled as they thanked the heavens for giving someone like Nichkhun to their sister.

 

“This isn’t the first time this happened, so we weren’t that shocked,” Jinyoung said.

 

“Yeah, that’s why we rely on Dr. Kim so much. He’s understanding and provides good alternative medications for our Jiwon,” Jimin added.

 

“What do you mean?” Taecyeon asked.

 

“When she was 10, this crazy lady dressed up as a nurse and switched her IV bag with hydrogen peroxide. Being the smart girl she is, she realized tiny details that saved her life. Before it could even be injected, she pushed the lady away and ran for her life.” Jimin explained.

 

The 6 guys nodded, as they finally understood, especially Khun.

 

“This happened a couple more times until Dr. Kim finally stopped giving IV drips to her. She probably remembered what happened and panicked.” Jinyoung finished.

 

“But on another note, that girl can run. She was too damn fast,” Khun exclaimed.

“And not to mention strong,” Taecyeon added. 

 

The twins laughed as they heard the two men.

 

“Our sister is weirdly athletic, but she doesn’t show it. Well she stopped after her knee broke…” Jimin said as he mumbled the last part.

 

“She broke her knee?!? That person is not a girl…” Chansung said, making everyone laugh.

 

As they kept talking, the door to Jiwon’s room opened and out came Dr. Kim. Everyone turned their heads towards him and bowed.

 

“Sorry for the wait, but she’s stable right now. I finished transfusing her blood after that massive blood loss. With her being anemic and all, she could’ve died. Anyways, I’m going to have to find those 2 nurses and scold them about what happened. They should’ve known to not give her an IV drip since it’s clearly written in her file.” The doctor explained.

 

“Thanks again doc. By the way, how did you get a lot of blood for her blood type anyways? She usually needs to wait a couple days before being transfused.” Jinyoung asked.

 

“We had some spare AB negatives in the freezer. Good thing for her too,” Dr. Kim answered.

 

As a medical student, Khun understood that AB negatives were one of the rarest blood types out there. This made him worry even more.  

 

The doctor told them he was going to come back later and told them to go in the room since Jiwon was alone. One by one, the entered the room and saw she sleeping peacefully. They were all relieved since she was okay now.

 

“You boys can go home if you want. We know how tired you are,” Jimin said.

 

“It’s fine, we’ll stay here. Why don’t you guys get some rest while we watch over her,” Minjun replied.

 

“We don’t want to burden you anymore,” Jinyoung said.

 

“We assure you, we’re fine. I know you guys were in the middle of a business deal of some sort,” Taecyeon retorted.

 

The twins thought about it for a minute before nodding.

 

“We’ll be back soon. If you feel like going home, just go home. She’ll be fine here alone,” Jinyoung said before bidding goodbye and walking out the door.

 

The 6 guys decided to call it a night and made themselves comfortable on the hospital floor. Each had a pillow and a blanket to cover them as they slowly fall asleep.


Jiwon slowly opened her eyes and closed it again due to the brightness of the light above her. She realized that she was once again in her hospital bed and quickly checked both arms to see if there were any IV needles. She sighed in relief as she saw nothing attached to her. I guess Dr. Kim came last night, she thought.

 

As she looked around her room, she saw 5 sleeping figures on the floor; all snoring heavily. It took some time, but she realized that it was Nichkhun’s friends. Suddenly, she remembered what happened last night and covered her face. It was the first time anyone other than her brothers so her in such a panicked state. There was a letter beside her from Khun that said he was at the campus and that she should rest for the day.

 

Jiwon decided to go to the nurses office across the hall since she needed to change her bandages. Although she could’ve called them here, she didn’t want to wake the others since they’ve probably had a rough night.

 

“Jiwon-ah! You’re awake~” nurse Hana cheered as Jiwon pressed the bell. 

 

“Are you feeling better?” nurse Minah asked.

 

Jiwon smiled at them and nodded. She knew the two nurses well since they were the ones who took care of Jiwon whenever she was admitted to the hospital.

 

“I feel better, but still exhausted. I’m really sorry for acting up last night,” Jiwon said.

 

“Don’t be sorry! It was those two interns’ fault for screwing up,” Minah replied.

 

“By the way, aren’t there like 6 guys sleeping in your room right now?” Hana asked.

 

“Yup, minus one since he went to class earlier,” Jiwon answered.

 

“I didn’t know you had such hot friends though Jiwon,” Minah cheekily said.

 

“What do you mean hot? They’re complete dorks,” Jiwon replied.

 

“The one who left earlier seemed really concerned about you. He kept asking stuff about you like your medical history and foods you’re allergic to,” Minah said.

 

“He looks familiar though… like I think I’ve seen him around here,” Hana added.

 

“Well he owns this place so it’s normal to see him here I guess,” Jiwon replied.

 

“Wait, what? He owns this place… so is he the Choi family’s son?? Choi Nick- something,” Hana asked.

 

Jiwon nodded.

 

“You’re so lucky… he must be filthy rich,” Minah said.

 

“Plus, he’s hot as . You’re not dating him right? Or are you?” Hana teased.

 

“Oh God no. I’m not interested in dating someone anyways right now,” Jiwon replied.

 

“Isn’t it cute how he’s so worried about you? I think he likes you Jiwon~” Minah cooed.

 

Jiwon scoffed and shook her head.

 

“Whether he likes me or not, I’m really not interested. He’s not my type anyways,” Jiwon said.

 

“Who’s not your type?” a familiar voice said behind her.

 

Jiwon turned around and saw Jongmin holding a big bouquet of flowers with his normal suit on. Her face instantly turned sour.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jiwon asked.

 

“I’m here to see my sick baby. I heard all about it from your dad,” Jongmin answered.

 

“Excuse me young man, but we can’t allow you to bring flowers to this floor,” Minah said as she stood up from her seat.

 

“Most of our patients here, including Ms. Song here, is allergic to pollen. Please discard it immediately,” Hana added.

 

Jongmin raised his eyebrows.

 

“I never knew you were allergic to pollen sweetie,” he said as he threw the flowers away.

 

“There are a lot of things you don’t know about me,” she replied.

 

“Yah, is that your boyfriend? I thought you said you weren’t interested in dating right now,” Hana whispered.

 

“He’s the guy I told you about a couple months ago when I had dengue fever; my ex-fiancé,” Jiwon whispered back.

 

“I see that you’re free right now. Let’s get some coffee in the lobby,” Jongmin said as he grabbed her wrist.

 

Jiwon pulled away and shook her head.

 

“I’m really exhausted right now,” she replied.

 

“I’m sorry, but she can’t go anywhere right now. Her doctor forbids her to leave this floor,” Hana jumped in.

“So? What harm can going down an elevator and grabbing something to drink do?” Jongmin said as he proceeded to grab her hand again.

 

“She’s still very weak. I’ll call security if you don’t let her go now,” Minah threatened.

 

Jongmin rolled his eyes and started dragging Jiwon. Fortunately, someone grabbed Jiwon’s other wrist and pulled her back.

 

“What-

 

“Where do you think you’re taking her?” Junho questioned as he pulled Jiwon to his side.

 

“None of your business. Please hand her over,” Jongmin replied.

 

“It is my business if it has something to do with her,” Junho said.

 

“Who the are you?” Jongmin asked harshly.

 

“I’m going to be your worst nightmare if you don’t get the out of here,” Junho replied.

 

Some of the patients and nurses walking by stopped to see what was happening.

 

“There’s nothing to see here folks. Please go back to doing what you’re doing,” Hana said as she walked out of the nurse’s station and into the hallway where the rest were standing.

 

“I’m not leaving without her. I have an urgent matter to discuss,” Jongmin said.

 

“Can’t you see she’s sick? She’s not in a condition to walk around right now,” Wooyoung said from behind Junho.

 

Jiwon looked behind her and saw Wooyoung and Taecyeon glaring at Jongmin.

 

“I’m sure she can handle a trip to the lobby. Who are you to be so concerned about her anyways?” Jongmin asked.

 

“We’re her overprotective friends who won’t let her walk away with some ,” Taecyeon answered.

 

Jiwon realized she was making the other patients uncomfortable, so she decided to stop the bickering.

 

“15 minutes,” Jiwon said, “I’ll give you 15 minutes to talk about whatever you came here to talk about. I’ll leave precisely after 15 minutes have ended and if you try to stop me, I will not hesitate to stab you in the neck with a chair.”

 

Jongmin smirked and offered his hand for Jiwon to take. Jiwon scowled and ignored it.

 

“Are you sure?” Minah asked.

“Want one of us to come with?” Junho asked.

 

Jiwon shook her head and assured them that she’ll be fine.


Meanwhile, Nichkhun had just finished his second lecture and was in no mood take another one. He decided to end classes early and go back to the hospital to see how Jiwon was doing. He stopped by a bakery to get Jiwon’s favorite milk soboro bread and other breads for the guys. When he arrived at the hospital, he saw Jongmin bringing a beverage to Jiwon in the small hospital Starbucks. He decided to eavesdrop for a while before interrupting them.

 

“Here’s your warm skim matcha latte sweetheart,” Jongmin said as he put down the cup of matcha latte in front of her.

 

Jiwon replied a small ‘thanks’ before taking a sip.

 

“You have 12 minutes left,” Jiwon reminded.

 

Jongmin took a sip from his caramel macchiato and nodded.

 

“Your parents asked me about you the other day. They didn’t expect you to keep this up, you know, living independently.”

 

“So? I don’t give a what they think anyways,” Jiwon replied, sipping her latte.

 

“I want to offer you a deal.”

 

“What deal?” Jiwon asked.

 

“Comeback home and get re-engaged with me, and you’ll get whatever you want. Everything you ever wished for, it will come true.”

 

Jiwon burst into a fit of laughter.

 

“Why do you think I’ll take that deal? That’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard in my life!”

 

“You’ll get everything as in money, cars, jewelry, etc. There’s nothing to lose,” he said confidently.

 

“It’s so typical of them to offer me materialistic things since it’s the only thing they can offer. I would rather drown myself in acid than accept that deal,” Jiwon replied. 

 

Jongmin frowned and shook his head.

 

“Take that deal or-

 

“Or what? You’re probably getting paid if I take that deal right? Again, so typical of them.”

 

Jongmin smirked at her words. It was true he was getting paid and he needed the money for his own personal use. He got paid to ask her and is going to get paid a lot more if she agreed. So he needs to do anything to make her say yes, even if he needs to use force.

 

Jiwon grabbed took a sip of her latte. She was done listening to his pathetic demeanors and stood up. Before she could walk away, Jongmin stood up as well and grabbed her hand.

 

“I don’t care if I drag you by your hair to my car or if I’ll kill you first, I need that goddamn money. We can do this the easy way or the hard way Song Jiwon.”

 

Nichkhun stepped and pulled Jiwon back. Jiwon was surprised at the sudden tug and looked behind to see who pulled her.

 

“Khun!” she gasped.

 

“She’s not going anywhere with you,” Nichkhun said sternly.

 

Jongmin was amused and annoyed at Nichkhun’s appearance. He was so close to getting that money.

 

“Please don’t take my money away from me,” Jongmin said.

 

Jiwon lunged forward and was about to punch him, but Khun held her back. He too wanted to shove his feet up Jongmin’s , but there were too many people around.

 

“Please don’t refer human beings as money you conceited . She’s not even yours to begin with, but mine,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“Oh right, you’re the boyfriend. I’m sorry, but I need the money pretty badly buddy. I’m sure you can easily find a perfect replacement for her.”

 

Khun has had enough and called security over.

 

“Please this gentleman out of this hospital immediately. He is making me and my girlfriend uncomfortable.”

 

“You can’t get rid of-

 

The two officers grabbed both of his arms and proceeded to walk out the door.

 

“You can’t just kick me out of this place!” Jongmin exclaimed. 

 

“I can do whatever I want since I basically own this place and the campus beside it as well. Bye!”  Nichkhun said before dragging Jiwon to the elevator.