twenty

Gloves and Syringes

When Jiwon and Nichkhun arrived home, Jiwon took out her iron supplements and put them in the cupboard. Then she went to her room and jumped on the bed as she opened a few messages from Byul and Chanwoo. After replying to each one of their texts, her tiredness swept over her as she slowly fell asleep.

 

Meanwhile, Nichkhun finished cleaning the apartment and walked into the bedroom. A smile was plastered on his face when he saw a knocked-out Jiwon snoring loudly as ever. He then came up to her and moved her so that her head would be on top of a pillow instead of dangling down the side of the bed. He then got in bed with her and fell asleep as well.

 

Jiwon woke up to the sound of her phone ringing. She slowly reached towards her phone, but it wasn’t there. She sat up and realized how her sleeping position changed from earlier. Something else that shocked her was the fact that Nichkhun had his arm around her stomach as he slept beside her; no body pillow in sight. She felt embarrassed as she carefully pushed his arms away, but his arm tightened its grip.

 

“Where do you think you’re going missy?” Nichkhun asked in a raspy yet sleepy voice.

 

“B-Bathroom?” Jiwon stuttered as heat crept up her cheeks.

 

Nichkhun noticed her nervousness as he let out a small chuckle. Jiwon took this opportunity to slide his arms off her as she ran to the bathroom. She had no idea why Khun’s voice made her heart beat faster than usual. It seemed weird to her since this never happened before.

 

“Yah! If you’re done, let’s head to the market. We need to buy more plates and utensils since you only have enough for yourself. Also, we need to get paper towels since you ran out of them,” Nichkhun yelled as he got out of bed.

 

It was currently 4 in the afternoon and they had nothing better to do. Jiwon came out of the bathroom and walked out the bedroom door. She spotted Khun putting his shoes on as she followed closely behind.

 

“It’s a bit cold outside. Use the beanie I bought you the other day to cover your ears,” he said as he put his beanie on.

 

Jiwon found it unnecessary to do so, so she ignored his request. She put on her ugg boots and her black coat before jogging to the bedroom to get her phone from the nightstand. When she came back, she bumped into Khun’s chest as he proceeded to put the green beanie he purchased on her. He carefully placed in on her head and placed some strands of hair behind her ears before he was satisfied with the results.

 

“That wasn’t so hard wasn’t it?” Khun said before he opened the door for them.

 

Jiwon let out a small scowl before heading out.

 

“Why the hell is it so cold today,” Jiwon muttered under her breath as they walked into the market.

 

Nichkhun took off his coat as he grabbed a trolley for them. They headed towards the section where it had kitchen utensils and plates lying around. Nichkhun took a handful of plates, bowls, cups, spoons, forks, and chopsticks. Jiwon shook her head at the amount of things they were buying.

 

“Isn’t this too much?” she questioned as they walked towards the tissue section.

 

“The ones in our apartment look old and used up. It would be better if we bought new one right?” he replied as he put the packs of toilet paper in their trolley.

 

It amused Jiwon how he used the word ‘our’ when he referred to their apartment. She was amazed at how fast he adapted to their situation. From enemies, to friends, to people who live together. She honestly didn’t know what to feel about it.

 

After they paid for their items, they quickly head home due to the coldness of the autumn air.

 

The next day, Jiwon woke up early and got ready for her part-time job. Nichkhun was still fast asleep so she took this chance to sneak out before he woke up so she doesn’t have to deal with his complaints early in the morning. Jiwon caught her bus just in time as it headed towards to the next stop. When she entered the kindergarten, she was suddenly attacked by Byul’s embrace.

 

 “You stupid ! I miss you~” Byul cooed as she hugged Jiwon tightly.

 

“You do realizes you just cursed in a kindergarten right..?” Jiwon said as she pulled back, “But I miss you too~” she continued.

 

“Don’t I get a hug too?” Chanwoo said from behind.

 

Jiwon let out a sigh before hugging him too.

 

“Now get to work you two! We don’t have all day,” Byul said before going back to her desk.

 

After Jiwon finished teaching, she walked out of her classroom and sat on the waiting couch. She was honestly tired since she hasn’t fully recovered, but she did miss teaching. The kids were so worried and asked a lot of questions that made her tear up a bit since it was so touching for her. She couldn’t wipe that smile off her face as she thought about it.

 

“Hey!” Chanwoo greeted as he took a seat beside Jiwon.

 

Jiwon snapped out of her thoughts and let out a small ‘hey’ before checking her emails on her phone.

 

“Remember when I asked you to coffee the other day?” he asked.

 

Jiwon nodded, as she knew where this was going.

 

“Are you free today? After your classes?”

 

Jiwon contemplated on her answer. She felt that it would be too mean of her to reject him for the 100th time, but she didn’t really want to go out with him either.

 

“I promise this is just a one time thing,” he continued.

 

Jiwon wasn’t too sure of that since she knew he wasn’t the time to do something just ‘once’ from previous experiences, but she knew she couldn’t keep doing this to him.

 

“You sure it’s just a one time thing?” she asked.

 

“I swear to god,” he assured.

 

Jiwon had no other choice but to agree even though she didn’t want to. But there was a possibility he would never disturb her again, so what’s there to lose?

 

“Do you want to meet up at the place or what?” she asked.

 

“I’ll pick you up later in your campus,” he answered.

 

Jiwon had no problem with that and agreed. She then bid Byul and Chanwoo goodbye before heading to the bus stop.

 

“Let’s eat somewhere Jiwon… I feel like steak today,” Nichkhun said as they walked out of the campus.

 

“Sorry, but I have an appointment with someone,” Jiwon replied as she texted Chanwoo about his whereabouts.

 

“You’re not lying are you? Because the last time you said this, you just wanted to spend time on your own,” Nichkhun said.

 

“What’s wrong about spending time with myself?” Jiwon asked.

 

“Nothing wrong, but you could’ve told me the truth instead of lying. You know how much I hate liars,” he said.

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes. Like you haven’t told a lie or two before. She thought.

 

“Song Jiwon!” a voice called from behind them.

 

Both Jiwon and Nichkhun turned their heads around and saw Chanwoo walking towards them.

 

You’ve got to be kidding me Jiwon, Nichkhun thought.

 

“Are you ready?” Chanwoo said as he opened the door to his car.

 

Jiwon nodded before waving goodbye to Nichkhun.

“See you later,” she said before going in the car.

 

Nichkhun watched with jealousy as Chanwoo got in the car and drove away. He couldn’t believe what just happened; Jiwon picked that loser over him.

 

Chanwoo opened the door as Jiwon walked inside the coffee house. It was her favorite coffee shop in the whole wide world: Coffee Heaven. She took a seat near the window as Chanwoo took their orders. After 5 minutes, he came back with an ice Americano for him and a warm vanilla latte for Jiwon.

 

“So, how’s life?” he asked as he took a sip of his Americano.

 

“Not much. I’m just really tired these days. How about you? Is life treating you like ?” Jiwon asked, earning a chuckle from Chanwoo.

 

Surprisingly, Chanwoo was quite comfortable to talk to. Jiwon found herself deep in their conversation about ‘life’ and everything that’s going around them. She didn’t now that talking to him was actually quite comforting. And so, they spent more or less 2.5 hours just talking and laughing about things she’d never imagine when talking to Chanwoo.

 

On the other hand, Nichkhun couldn’t stop thinking about Jiwon’s ‘date’ with Chanwoo. The fact that she was so chill about it made him worry even more. What if they’re dating? They couldn’t possibly be dating right? I mean, I definitely look 100 times better than him… and I live with her for Christ sake! , this is so frustrating, he thought to himself. All the horrible scenarios kept crossing his mind over and over again. He tried calling and texting her, but here was no answer. This thought of Jiwon being taken was tearing his mind apart.

 

“Thanks for the coffee… and the talk. I really enjoyed it to be honest,” Jiwon said as she got out of Chanwoo’s car.

 

“The pleasure is mine, Jiwon. Goodnight, see you next week!” he said before driving off.

 

Jiwon casually walked into the apartment building and hummed a small tune in her mind. She slowly opened the door to her room and saw a figure sitting down on the couch while watching TV. She smiled to herself before entering and hanging her coat. Nichkhun, on the other hand, heard the door close and turned his head to the side. He was relieved but pissed at the same time because she came home pretty late.

 

“How was your date?” he said, his eyes focusing on the TV.

 

“It wasn’t a date, but it went well.” She replied while taking out the juice carton.

 

Khun sighed and got up as he walked towards her direction. He took out a cup from the cupboard and poured the juice she was holding into the cup for her, in which she replied a small thanks. 

 

“You sure it wasn’t a date? It took around 3 hours, so I’m sure you guys ate and watched a romantic movie together or something,” he said as he sat back on the couch.

 

Jiwon eyed him curiously. Within seconds, she smirked, as she understood the situation.

 

“So? What’s wrong with going on a date?” she teased as she sat down on the couch beside him.

 

Nichkhun’s ears were burning as he tried to control his emotions.

 

“N-Nothing’s wrong… I mean, you know- He could be an axe murderer and you wouldn’t know it,” he replied.

 

Jiwon thought that was the most ridiculous excuse ever. An axe murderer? Really?

 

“I gotta say, it’s amusing seeing you like this,” she said, smirking.

 

Khun could feel her starring at him as he tried to avoid looking at her.

 

“Pshh… who said I was jealous? You have the right to date whoever you want anyways,” he lied, knowing that it kind of hurt seeing her with Chanwoo.

 

“I didn’t say you were jealous,” Jiwon said with a smile. She knew she got him when his ears turned bright red and he grunted.

 

He got up from the couch and ruffled his hair. He cursed at himself for being stupid and honestly didn't know what to do. Jiwon chuckled at his confused face grabbed his hand. 

 

"Did you eat yet?" she asked, swinging her hands back and forward. 

 

He stuttered a no before looking to the ground, not wanting to look at her.

 

“I’m guessing you haven’t ate anything yet, so let me cook for you… You wanted fried rice earlier, right?”

 

“Y-Yea,” he replied nervously.

 

Jiwon smiled and got up. She pushed Nichkhun back down on the couch and told him to not go anywhere.

 


“You only made one?” Nichkhun asked as she put the plate of kimchi fried rice with a sunny-side up in front of him.

 

Jiwon nodded as she brought kimchi and other small side dishes for him to eat.

 

“I’m not that hungry,” she said before sitting down beside him.

 

He frowned at the fried rice before scooping a spoon and putting it in front of Jiwon’s mouth.

 

“I’m not going to eat if you don’t. Who knows you poisoned this or something,” he joked.

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes before opening . She gave a thumbs up as she swallowed it.

 

“It’s the best kimchi fried rice you’ll ever taste,” she said.

 

Nichkhun smiled as he took a spoonful for himself.

 

“Holy this is good!” he exclaimed.

 

“Don’t talk while you’re eating stupid,” Jiwon said as she took a piece of seaweed.

 

 Nichkhun enjoyed spending time with Jiwon like this. It felt like they were a happy married couple living their little lives. He was sure she loved kids since she chose to specialize in pediatrics. He continued feeding her and eating until the plate was clean.