sixteen

Gloves and Syringes

“That was such a good movie~” Jiwon said as they exited the theatre.

 

Nichkhun just smiled and nodded. It was a little over 9 and both didn’t want to go home just yet.

 

“Have you been to the new dessert shop on the 6th floor? I heard it was good.” Nichkhun said, sparking up a conversation.

 

“This is my first time here… I’ve never really been outside of my apartment.” Jiwon replied.

 

“Let’s go there sometime next week, after class ends. I’ll treat you,” Nichkhun said.

 

Jiwon nodded in reply.

 

“I don’t really want to go home now. Let’s walk around the street we went earlier.”

 

“Really? I thought you said it was too crowded for you,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“I want to go shopping there. I saw some really good shops earlier when we got separated.” Jiwon said.

 

They both went inside a variety of clothing shops and skincare places as well. They even bought matching socks. Their last destination was the Disney-themed shop. Both Nichkhun and Jiwon were excited.

 

“You wanna get matching shirts? I get Mickey and you get Minnie?” Nichkhun asked as he held up two shirts.

 

Jiwon nodded as she went through the Baymax isle.

 

She grabbed a Baymax pillow, mug, house slippers, and pajama pants. She also got Toy Story merchandise as well. Meanwhile, Khun’s basket was filled with everything Mickey. He also got Jiwon some Mickey stuff as well. As they were paying, Jiwon took out her credit card before Khun could and signed the bill.

 

“Yah, I was supposed to pay.” Nichkhun said as he carried the bags.

 

“You paid for lunch, tickets, and that beanie from the other day. I feel like I should buy you something in return.” Jiwon replied.

 

“I’m sleeping in your apartment,” Nichkhun said.

 

“But you’re paying the bills though,” She replied.

When Nichkhun opened the door, both were immediately drenched. They didn’t realize that it was raining really hard.

 

“The ? How is it raining really hard-

 

Before Jiwon could finish, Nichkhun dragged her to a street food tent nearby for some shelter.

 

“We’ll have to stay here until the rain stops. There aren’t any cabs nearby and the closest bus stop is 6 blocks from here.” He said as he walked towards the vendor lady.

 

“Oh my, you both are drenched! What can I get for you?” The lady asked, smiling at them.

 

“One portion of rice cakes, 2 sticks of fish cakes, and a portion of fried mandu please.” Nichkhun said as he put down the plastic bags and took out his wallet. 

 

“That’ll be 8500 won,” the lady replied.

 

Khun gave her the money and put the change back in his wallet.

 

He then led Jiwon to a table and sat down. Both were shivering but tried hard to hide it from each other. Nichkhun’s shirt was pressing on to his body because of its wet condition and Jiwon found it hard to not stare. On the other hand, Jiwon’s shirt became see-through, as her black bra was visible. Nichkhun too found it hard stop starring, but was also annoyed at the amount of old men starring at her as she was the only girl in the tent. He then stood up and told Jiwon to switch seats. When she asked why, he told her that her bra was visible and that people were starring. She freaked out for a bit but did what he said.

 

“Here you go. I gave you some extra portions because you both look so cute.” The old lady said as she put down the food.

 

Jiwon’s face turned red as she heard her say that. Nichkhun on the other hand was already used to it because they’ve been called a ‘couple’ a lot. They both said ‘thank you’ and started eating.

 

The rain stopped just as they finished eating. Both stood up, thanked the lady once again, and walked back home. On their way back, the streets were a lot quieter since it was already 11:00pm. The area where Jiwon’s apartment was felt like a ghost town because of the lack of people. As they turned to a corner, they heard a couple of drunken teens walking by. They looked like they were searching for something or someone to play with. Nichkhun didn’t like the situation and thought of all the bad scenarios that could happen.

 

Jiwon too felt uncomfortable and scared since there were 6 of them. She crossed her arms in order to hide her visible bra. Suddenly, she felt herself being pushed to the nearest wall. She was about to scream when Khun put his hand over .

 

“If we stay in this position, they won’t bother us okay? Just don’t move.” Nichkhun whispered.

 

His hands rested on her hips as he inched his face closer to hers. Their faces weren’t touching, but both could feel the hot breaths coming from each other. Nichkhun had to use all his energy and willpower to not close the gap between them while Jiwon tried her best to not die from a heart attack. Nichkhun’s hands started roaming around to make it seem more realistic.

 

“Eyyyy~ Those two are making out boys…” one of the guys said as they passed by.

 

“Too bad she’s taken. I would’ve hit that if he wasn’t here… that’s one y bra you’ve got baby.” Another one said.

 

“Get a room you two! This is such a dirty place to have ~” one more said before they were completely out of sight.

 

When the guys were completely gone, Nichkhun stepped back and tried to calm his beating heart. Jiwon too was trying to calm her heart. That was the closes their faces have ever been, not to mention his hands were everywhere.

 

“Remind me not to let you wear anything white and thin when we go out. And don’t even think of going out by yourself at night.” Nichkhun said, finally breaking the silence.

 

“After what happened just now, I’m not going anywhere without someone accompanying me.” Jiwon replied.

 

“And that someone being me,” Nichkhun teased.

 

Jiwon tried to play it cool by scoffing, but she was actually really nervous before walking again.


 

Sunday passed like a breeze as Jiwon woke up on a sunny Monday morning. She took a quick shower, put on a dark green sweater and her black jeggings, and toasted some bread before getting ready to go to work.

 

“Where are you going?” Khun asked sleepily from the bedroom door.

 

“Work,” Jiwon replied.

 

“Want me to drive you there?” He asked, walking towards the kitchen.

 

“No thanks, I’ll use the bus. And don’t pick me up either,” She said, putting on her sneakers.

 

“Why?” Nichkhun asked as he opened the carton of milk.

 

“I have something to do…” Jiwon lied. She just wanted to have some alone time; away from Khun for once.

 

“Like?”

 

“Uh… underwear shopping?” Jiwon mentally slapped herself. Really? Underwear shopping? Nice one Jiwon… Nice. She thought to herself.

 

Nichkhun’s ears turned red as he nodded, understanding the situation.

 

“But I could help you out you know… pick some out for you,” Nichkhun teased.

 

Jiwon scoffed and threw him a sock.

 

“See you later!” She yelled before walking out the door.


“Exhausted?” Byul asked from the counter.

 

Jiwon collapsed on the couch near the main entrance before nodding. Her head’s been killing her ever since she walked into the classroom.

 

“The kids were behaving so weirdly… it was so unlike them. 2 kids even cried for god sakes! That rarely happens in my class.” Jiwon explained.

 

“Maybe it’s their time of the month,” Byul replied.

 

Jiwon starred at Byul with a ‘the--did-you-just-say?’ face before replying.

 

“You do realize that they’re just kids… and some of them are males. No wonder you’re the front lady and not a teacher.”

 

“Yah! I’m not good with kids either, but I needed a job. At least it pays well,” Byul replied.

 

Jiwon took out her phone and saw a couple of messages from Khun asking when she’ll be done.

 

‘ I saved you a seat already so hurry up! We’ve gotta work on our lab today.’ ­– 10:07am

 

­“Your boyfriend?” Byul asked.

 

“W-What?”

 

“He texted you right? You were smiling all weirdly just now.” Byul answered.

 

Jiwon made an ‘O’ face and nodded. She didn’t even realize she was smiling…

 

“Hey Jiwon,” Chanwoo greeted as he suddenly entered the room.

 

Jiwon looked up at nodded at him. Urgh, have to face him again.

 

“How was your weekend? Did you get enough rest?” He asked.

 

“It was fine,” she simply replied.

 

Jiwon looked back at her phone and texted Khun that she was on the way to campus.

 

“You want to go get some coffee later?” Chanwoo suddenly asked, catching both Byul and Jiwon off-guard.

 

“She has a boyfriend you know…” Byul said.

 

“I know, but what’s she got to lose anyways? It’s only coffee with me.” Chanwoo replied.

 

“She could lose her boyfriend if she takes your offer. He’ll be jealous and all.” Byul said.

 

“Awh come one, its just coffee! Please~” Chanwoo pleaded.

 

“Sorry but-

 

“Just this once? I won’t bother you again Jiwon-ah.”

 

Jiwon was about to reply when her phone rang.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yah! Where the hell are you? Class is about to start.” Nichkhun yelled on the other line.

 

“I’m waiting for the bus, chill.” She replied.

“Hurry up or I’ll drive to wherever you are now. Don’t you dare lie to m-

 

Jiwon hung up the call before he could even finish. She took her bag before opening the door.

 

“I’m really sorry Chanwoo-shi, but I have to go. Maybe next time? Bye Byul! ” Jiwon said before running off to the bus station.