eight

Gloves and Syringes

“Did you know I had to call in a personal doctor to find out what happened to you? For a second, I thought you just had a normal fever. Good thing I listened to my gut cause if I didn’t, you’d be in the ICU right now.” Nichkhun explained.

 

"Really? Why didn't you just bring me to the hospital idiot.." she said. 

 

“I panicked! You were getting worse by the minute so I only thought of bringing you home," he replied. 

 

Jiwon chuckled and took a big spoonful of their dessert: ice cream. 

 

"By the way, tell me about yourself. I feel like if we're gonna be 'best buddies,' we should at least know more about each other. So, tell me about where you were born, education background, birthday, family, and all that jazz." Nichkhun said. 

 

Jiwon scoffed at his questions. Was this a ‘get-to-know-each-other’ thing or a private interrogation?

 

“What is this? An interrogation?” She asked.

 

Nichkhun nodded as he waited for her answers. Jiwon rolled her eyes and started talking. 

 

“ I was born on the 14th of September 1993 in London. Moved to Korea 2 years ago when this whole program started. I went to a private school until high school and got my genera; practitioner degree in Oxford University; so I didn’t bribe the school or like you accused me, but I’m just really smart. My parents told me to move here to get my masters on general pediatrics since it would be ‘easier’ for them to see me and so that I would get to know my home country, or more like control my life. That is also when I got ‘engaged’ to that piece of Kim Jongmin. Told them I was gonna live on my own without themand  got cursed at, and was threatened to get disowned, but I didn’t care. Paid them back all of the apparent money I owe them and now, I’m living my life.”

 

Nichkhun listened to every single detail carefully and took mental notes.

 

“You really graduated from Oxford?” He asked, still not convinced of that part of her life.

 

“Yup, and with honors. If you don’t believe me, I’ll show you my certificate and Medal of Honor” Jiwon said, pointing at the box sitting by the corner.

 

“No wonder you got a scholarship here. So your English must be fluent?” He asked.

 

Perfectly fluent. I still have difficulties speaking in Korean so I tend to mix those two languages up. You’re fluent too right?” Jiwon replied.

 

“Yeah, I was born in California and went to high school there. Moved to Korea to take my bachelors in Yonsei.”

 

There was silent between them, both not really knowing what to say. Some might call it an ‘awkward silent,’ but both Jiwon and Nichkhun didn’t feel the awkwardness. Instead, it was a comfortable silence for both of them.

 

“About your parents, I’m really sorry that you-

 

“No need to be sorry, I'm happy my life ended up like this.” Jiwon interrupted.

 

"Happy you met me right?" Nichkhun teased. 

 

She let out a scoff and threw him the TV remote. 

 

“If you keep telling the same old sad story, you will keep living the same old sad live. That’s why I don’t consider my family situation as something disastrously heart-breaking, I just ignore it. I would rather be hated than pitied.” She continued.

 

Nichkhun looked deepy into her eyes as was nervously played with the hem of her shirt. To him, her eyes told a different story. That somewhere deep inside that cold heart of hers, she  . gave a . 

 

“It must be hard pretending to be happy all the time right? It's bad for you tbh," he said. 

 

Jiwon denied it, but she knew he was right. 

 

“I don’t really like talking about this so can we move to another topic? Or even better, go home.” Jiwon said, pointing at the door.

 

She really felt uneasy about how accurate Nichkhun read her. It was as if he could read her mind! Rather than having an emotional sappy talk, it would be better if he left her to her own devices.

 

“Why? It’s only 7:30.” He asked.

 

“I feel exhausted from pretending to be happy in front of you,” she joked.

 

Nichkhun raised his eyebrows. 

 

"I'm really tired though Khun. My headeache's killing me!" 

 

“Can I sleep over? My ride's gone and I actually don't know how to get back home,” he asked. 

 

“Are you saying you want to stay here? With me?” She asked.

 

"I asked to stay for one night but it seems like you want me to stay here forever," he teased. 

 

Jiwon gave a big laugh before standing up.

 

“Thanks for making me laugh, but hurry on out before I make you.” She said as she walked towards her front door.

 

“Ooh, whatcha gonna do? I'm way stronger than you, you know?" Khun said, showing of his biceps. 

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes in disgust. 

 

“Stop being such a baby and get out. I'm not your parents.”

 

Nichkhun’s smile faded, "What's that supposed to mean?" 

 

"I'm just saying you're acting really patheric right now. Your parents might be worried sick if their precious son doesn't come home and give mommy and daddy a kiss goodnight. Can't believe they failed to raise you properly," Jiwon joked. 

 

"I'm not a big baby Jiwon, I can take care of myself." 

 

Jiwon felt the coldness in his voice. 

 

"Why are you getting mad? I was just joking... but serioudly though, go home," she said. 

 

“Joking or not you went too far. I know you hate your parents and all, but please don't insult mine. You're such a cold-hearted ." 

 

“Okay then, sorry. Now get out,” Jiwon opened the door for him to get out. Truthfully, she was taken aback by his words. 

 

Nichkhun was annoyed at how his words didn’t affect her at all yet her words were like a thousand knives piercing into his heart. 

 

“Your parents are going to die waiting for you if you don't go-

 

Before Jiwon could finish her sentence, Nichkhun pinned her to the door. He's had enough of her rude demeanor. 

 

“You’re going to get a cold from that icy heart of yours, you know? I told you to not insult my parents anymore.” He whispered, his face inching closer to hers. Jiwon tried to push him away, but he held on to her tightly.

 

“Hurting someone else with your words to try and cover up your wounds isn’t being brave, but it’s being a pathetic fool. A coward. This ‘heartless’ character you’re trying to pull isn’t working either.” He continued.

Jiwon had no idea what he was talking about. But somehow, his words unfuriated her. 

 

Before he could get any closer, you pushed him out the door. 

 

“Once you get ed over, you stop giving a about a lot of things. So being heartless isn’t a character, it’s me.”

 

With that, she threw his stuff at him and slammed the door close. Her heart was pounding harder and harder for two main reasons: his sudden actions and the pang of realization that he was right.