The 1st Fall

Paradox of Love

There's a single moment in our life that we can never forget. Every detail, every sound and every feeling ... I can never forget that day.
It happened on my 10th birthday. The moment I knew that I'm not alone.
My parents divorced when I was 5 years old and I'm left with my older brother, Sungmin who moved to Italy because of his work.

On my 10th birthday, I got home and saw a letter from my mom saying that she'll go to the house of her new husband because their son is sick. I also received a greeting from Sungmin-oppa. He said that he is really sorry because he can't make it today.
So I guess I'm going to celebrate my birthday alone.
"It's not time to be emotional, Seohyun. I should buy myself a cake."
I said to myself and head to where my piggy bank is and exit the house.
I wander around the busy street of Gangnam and looked for a cheap cake to eat.
"Luhan-ah! You should choose a cake for our Sehun. Come here help me."
The beautiful lady caught my attention. Together with her son, she head inside a pastry shop.
"A cake? Hmm .. I guess it's too expensive if I buy here.. but it's ok to see."
I said to myself and also enter the shop. Ah they're here. The lady with her son.
"Mom I guess Sehun will like chocolate. That boy won't like the goguma cake that you are holding."
He said while pointing at a chocolate cake that looks really delicious... But I like the goguma cake more.
"Alright alright! We'll buy that."
His mother said with glee and put aside the goguma cake. I head to the counter, to where they are.
"Uhm how much is the goguma cake, sir?"
I asked the cashier man.
"80 won."
He said.
It's too expensive.
"Can I just have a cut? It's my birthday and I really want a goguma cake. Please sunbae."
I said using my persistent manner.
"Sorry but you can check on the other store. We're only selling a whole."
He said with pity.
That's what I dislike. I don't want someone to pity me because I'm in this kind of situation. I am strong and I can stand being alone, they don't need to feel sorry for me.
"Mom can we just also buy the goguma cake?"
I heard the boy said and that made me wanna cry.
"Eh? But you said Sehun likes chocolate?"
His mom asked.
"Yes. Sehun will have the chocolate cake and I'll have the goguma cake."
He said and head over to the cashier to tell him that they'll buy both.
I should find another shop that's selling cheap cakes. I went out and walked around the street with a heavy heart.

After asking five shops, I've decided to just buy a single brownie. All of them are selling expensive cakes and I don't have much money to buy one.
"Excuse me miss. Can I buy one of this please."
I said to the vendor while pointing at the little brownie on the table. I was about to hand her the money but the mention of my name made me stop.
"Are you calling me?"
I asked the boy from the shop who looks like he just ran.
"Yes. Happy Birthday Joohyun-yang."
He said and gave me the goguma cake that he bought with her mother.
I'm looking at him with full of curiosity. How does he know me? And my birthday?
"Ah! There you are! So you want to buy brow-"
His mother was also shocked seeing him lending me the cake.
"Ah sorry but I don't know you."
I said and bowed to his mother and apologized.
"I'm Oh Luhan from class A. We are classmates Joohyun. How come you don't know me?"
He said and I paused to stare at him.
"Yah! Stop staring! Just accept my gift!"
He said while blushing? He is blushing? Or it's just because he just ran.
"Oh I see. Ok I'll just leave you two here okay? I'll just go there to the other store."
His mother then rushed to go to the other shop which sells bread.
Oh! I remember this guy. He is Han, Luhan .. well his friends call him Han. Like the Han River. I giggled to myself.
"Ok. Thank you. But can you help me eat this? I can't eat this whole!"
I whine and he just shrugged and lead me to the chair beside a coffee shop.
"Why are you alone?"
He asked while eating the cake.
"The brother is working abroad and my parents are divorced."
I said that made him panic. I laughed at his reaction. This guy can be extraordinarily cute.
"Sorry for asking such sensitive question."
He said and stand up just to bow infront of me.
"You don't need to do that Han."
"What? Did you just call me Han?"
"Uh no! I said Luhan. Stop lying!"
"It's ok my friends call me Han and since you're now my friend. You can call me that."
He said and gave me a very sincere smile ... And without him knowing, that smile made me fall.

"Uhm my mom just called. I gues we'll meet each other tomorrow."
I paused and gave him a questioning look.
"Uh I mean tomorrow at school ofcourse!"
He added answering my unsaid question.
"Ok see you tomorrow Oh Luhan-ssi!"
I said and was going to turn when he grab my arm.
"See you tomorrow wait what's your full name?"
He asked that made me smile.
"Hyun. My full name is Seo Joo Hyun."
I smiled but I've noticed that his mood changed.
"Ok. See you Seo.Joo.Hyun."
He said my name like he's testing it inside his mouth. And after that he let go of me.

And that's when I found out that when he let go of me infront of the coffee shop .. Is also the day that he let me go .. Out of his life.

I didn't see him again since that day and I found out that he moved to another school. They also said that he'll go to Seoul National University. I guess I should study harder to meet him there.

 

I thought that's the last day that I'll meet Luhan. But I was wrong .. On his 2nd year of highschool, he moved back to our school.
He became more handsome than usual. Everygirl likes him while all the guys look up to him.
That's when I promised that I'll tell him my feelings since when we were just 10.
I've decided to confess on the exact day when we first met each other .. it's during my birthday, but this time, my 16th birthday.

My heart is thumping fast as I gripped into the love letter that I've written a week ago.
"Yah! Hyun! His class will soon end you should hold this chocolate! I'll just hide somewhere there so you can have your moment with him while I take pictures!"
My bestfriend, Park Yura said and hand me the heart shaped chocolate that I bought yesterday. She then rushed to hide somewhere to take pictures of me confessing to my one and only crush.
I composed myself when I've heard the bell rang. It's the cue! The door of his classroom opened and I respectfully bowed down to greet Mr. Park, Yura's father who is a math teacher in our school. I get more and more nervous as each of his classmates exit the class. What's taking him so long?
I'm about to ask one his classmate if he's there but before I could poke someone, he already appeared infront of me.
There, my heart.. it kept on thumping fast again. I got frozen on my spot as I watched him laugh with his friends. What a wonderful sight.
"Ah excuse me? Do you need something miss?" Choi Minho asked as he noticed that I've been staring at them for a long time.
"Uhm.. I uhmm.."
Oh my! I've practiced my lines a long time ago but why am I still stuttering?
"We should get going I'm hungry."
Oh Luhan said. Why does my heart pound with just those words? He is not even talking to me and those words are not even sweet.
"But I think she has something to say."
Kim Minseok said and that made Luhan looked at me.
"What is it?"
He asked. Why is it my heart beats like this? Ok Seohyun! Stay calm and say your lines. I gulp and looked up to him.
"Can I talk to you Luhan?"
I said and waited for his decision.
"Is it important?"
He asked and I feel the coldness. His coldness towards me.
"Please."
I said and stare at him because he paused again.
"K! Ah Minho-ssi and Xiumin-ssi I'll just follow. You can go ahead and save me a seat."
He said with authority and two just followed his orders.
"Ok just please make it fast. I'm hungry."
He said and crossed his arms while leaning on the door of his classroom.
"Uhm ... Do you still remember the moment when we were 10? You gave me a goguma cake for a present. I like you! I like you since that day Han!-"
"Don't! Don't ever call me that! I don't remember giving out cake that tastes so bad. Goguma is the worst flavor."
He said and turned his back to me.
"Ok just accept these as a sign of thanks."
I said holding my breath. Because I swear if I'll let out a single breath I'll end up crying here.
"Ok I'll accept that as a sign of apology. Because I don't feel the same."

 
He said and left me.
He is cold.
He doesn't remember that moment.
He dislikes goguma.
He doesn't want me to call him Han.
He doesn't feel the same.
Is he really Luhan?

"Yah! Hyun! Don't cry please."
Yura said and hugged me tight which made me cry even more.

I guess my feelings as old as time has been rejected. It hurts but I can't do anything. I'll just move on and also forget this moment like how he forgot the moment during my 10th birthday.

"Yura-ah .. I know I don't own his heart and it's really far from reality that he'll also like me. I can't. I can't make him catch me."
I said and buried my damp face on my bestfriend's shoulder.
 
________________
 
 COMMENTS ARE LOVED ♥