One Step Away

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

The fragrant aroma of my latte made me more relaxed. I placed the cup of coffee on the table gently and started using my laptop. I was seated comfortably in my favourite seat in my favourite café - Sacré Bleu Café. I was supposed to stay in my office to edit the photos from the photoshoot but I hated the atmosphere in a confined space. I liked it better here. I was near the window but still at a corner where I called my own space.

 

The jingling sounds of the bell rang as someone entered the café. One thing I hated about this café was the annoying bell hung at the door. Whenever anyone opened the door, the bell would ring and it was a disturbance to my peace.

 

This time, I took my eyes away from the laptop and spotted the person who just came in. It was a male who was wearing glasses and a hat. He walked towards the seat slightly opposite mine and leaned against the wall as he sat down.

 

Being a photographer, sometimes I had the job disease. I would look at people like they were my models for photos. This guy had a very sharp distinct nose that a model would possess. His height was just right and his broad shoulders made it better. His hair was ruffled and dull black. His lips were pouting slightly as he placed his chin on his hand. He tapped the table impatiently with his finger and ordered his drink.

 

I continued to look at him and took out my camera.

 

He was looking around as if he was waiting for someone. He bit his lip nervously and checked his watch all the time.

 

At that perfect moment, I whipped out my camera and took a few shots of him. Suddenly, his head turned to my direction and I kept my camera in a hurry. I quickly look at my laptop and fiddled with the mouse. After a while, I glanced back at him again. Phew, he didn’t know that I was secretly taking pictures of him.

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

I kept checking my phone for messages. I didn’t know the reason why but I anticipated for her messages so much. Sometimes, she would just send me beautiful quotes as motivation to share with me and I would feel better for the whole day. It had been four days since she texted me. I wondered if she was busy in the café.

 

I was almost done with my schedule. I asked my manager for a short break. He agreed immediately as everything was going smoothly today. I didn’t tell my members where was I going but I asked them if they needed any coffee.

 

I smirked to myself and took the company’s car to the café - Sacré Bleu Café

 

I parked the car somewhat further away from the café and I looked at the signboard. It was written cursively as a white font with a black background. The inside of the café was very grand looking but at the same time, very quiet and serene. I took the seat at the back to prevent any unwanted attention.

 

I wore my glasses and hat. A waitress came to me and asked my order. I looked carefully at her name tag – Hyo Min. Damn, it’s not Hae In. In any case, I ordered a cappuccino. The waitress looked at me suspiciously but I pretended to be texting so she left me alone. When she finally left, I scanned around the surroundings to take note of any female waitresses. There were two more but I couldn’t see the name tags.

 

I sighed. I reluctantly took out my phone. I just had to.

 

Hi, Hae In. Are you working right now?

 

I waited for her to reply and tapped on the table impatiently.

 

From My Secret Texting Partner

Yes, I am. How about you? Studying hard? :)

 

I smiled. Did that mean she’s working in the café now?

 

Well, I was thinking of getting some coffee after my studying in school tonight. I’m just thinking maybe you can give me a special discount? Keke.

 

Wow, I tried really hard to act like a girl texting. I smacked myself in embarrassment. And, I didn’t change her contact name because I liked the current one. It was childish but cute.

 

From My Secret Texting Partner,

Tonight? But I’m working now so my shift is ending soon.

 

Now? She’s working now? I kept looking around but I couldn’t see the name tags! I held up my hand again and another waitress came forward to me. She asked me politely whether I needed her help. I cleared my throat and told her I wanted a cheesecake on the menu. She wrote down the order and I peeked at her name tag – Suzy. Damn it. Where’s Hae In?

 

All of a sudden, the waitress stopped in her tracks and leaned closer to me, “Omo! Are you Yong Jun Hyung from BEAST?! Omo, unni, it’s Jun Hyung from BEAST!”

 

She squealed. Oh no, a fan girl? Not now! I wasn’t supposed to come here! I couldn’t let myself be recognised. I shushed her immediately and she closed while jumping up and down.

 

However, it was too late. There were all the girls coming over to my table and saw me. They started taking out their phones to take pictures of me and started pushing me. I was lost. I quickly grabbed my stuff and squeezed through the crowd.

 

I left the café hastily without taking a second look at the last waitress who might be Hae In. I ran for my life.

 

Hae In’s POV

 

 “Omo, it’s Yong Jun Hyung!”

 

I heard a commontion at the side when I was on my laptop. I sighed as my peace was disturbed again by some squealing of girls. I saw the commotion was at the man’s side. The man who I took pictures of. I saw him slightly frightened as he grabbed his bag and wallet to leave the café.

 

The girls were trying to take photos of him using their lousy phone cameras and jumping up and down. Even the waitresses were excited. He left the café and the girls stayed at the door, still saying his name repeatedly.

 

Jun Hyung? Why did that name sound so vaguely familiar?

 

I checked my photos of the man. I looked at his pictures carefully. Well, he was disguised really well. I went on the internet to check on him – Yong Jun Hyung.

 

All the same information could be gathered from the search.

 

Yong Jun Hyung – Rapper of BEAST

 

Rapper? Of BEAST? Wasn’t BEAST the idol group name that Min Yeong told me about? The idol group which sang the song ‘On Rainy Days’? And the one who composed the song 'Freeze'? And the rapper is the man in my pictures?

 

I checked my phone again. Ji Yeon didn’t reply me after I said I was ‘working in the café right now’. Omo, was she one of the fangirls that hovered around Jun Hyung just now? Was she in the café just now? I couldn’t be sure. Suddenly, my phone vibrated.

 

From Ji Yeon,

Looks like I’m not free tonight for a coffee. I’ll see you next time, Hae In. Goodbye!

 

Well, this was too much of a coincidence. Maybe she really was BEAST’s fan and she might be lurking around the café just now.