Our Birthdays

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

It was the eighth day. We were only left with two days. Tomorrow’s my birthday and I was still working today. However, the 2PM members and staffs specially celebrated my birthday one day earlier by buying a cake for me. I bet it was only the 2PM members’ excuse to eat some cake on a working day. I rolled my eyes when Woo Young was the first one to devour the cake, followed by Taecyeon. I laughed out loud at their silly attempts.

 

I looked at my phone to find one message.

 

From Jun Hyung

Make yourself available at midnight sharp. ;)

 

I raised my eyebrow. Midnight? Really? Why did it have to be midnight? I acknowledged his message by replying a simple ‘okay’ to him and returned to work.

 

I also prepared his birthday gift. I hoped we would have a good time together.

 

I went home to see Min Yeong preparing another small cake for me since we couldn’t finish a huge one. She started dancing to the music when I opened the main door to our apartment. I danced along with her cheerfully as she brought out the cake with candles. “Hailey, happy birthday! Sorry it has to be an early celebration because I’m going for a school camp tomorrow! I bring you back a present.” She apologised and hugged me tightly.

 

I squeezed her back and said, “It’s okay. You enjoy your little camp alright?”

 

After the little celebration, I urged her to go and sleep first since she had to go for camp the next day. It was already 11:45pm. Another 15 minutes to my birthday and Jun Hyung’s. I wondered what plan he had in mine. And… I also wondered if Ji Hoon would remember my birthday. He was always the one who wished me first and never failed to celebrate my birthday for me. I couldn’t believe this year it was different. It was Jun Hyung instead. I wondered if it was a good or bad thing.

 

Suddenly, my phone rang. Was it Jun Hyung? But it’s not midnight yet.

 

I glanced at the caller ID and picked up the phone. “Ji Hoon!” I answered.

 

“Hello Hailey! Happy birthday!” He exclaimed in the phone loudly that it made me giggle on the inside.

 

“Yes, Ji Hoon. It’s not another 15 minutes to my birthday, you know.” I curled myself on the sofa as I felt secured when I heard Ji Hoon’s voice. It was assuring to hear his voice again. I missed him so much that it was nearly killing me.

 

“I know that. I want to be the first one to wish you personally.” He answered conceitedly.

 

I sighed, “As usual… You are always the first one who celebrated my birthday with me first. I can’t believe this year you’re not here with me, Ji Hoon.”

 

“I promised you to always be there with you to celebrate your birthday, Hailey. I’m sorry…” He apologised for no reason. I knew it was my decision to come Korea so it wasn’t his fault. I didn’t know why he was apologising in the first place.

 

“Ji Hoon…” I spoke but my doorbell rang loudly, interrupting our conversation together. I panicked as it might be Jun Hyung so I quickly cut our conversation, “Ji Hoon, I got something on so I’ll call you back alright? Love you!” I put down the phone and walked briskly to the door.

 

I put on a bright smile and opened the door.

 

I covered my mouth to conceal my astonishment when I saw what’s in front of me. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was too surprised to the extent that I felt like tearing.

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

“Are you sure this will work, Doo Joon?” I looked at myself in the mirror again and again, checking I was looking completely flawless in the outfit I was wearing for the special day with Hae In.

 

“Are you sure you can make it on time when you’re still checking yourself in that mirror?” Doo Joon made a remark and chewed on his potato chips. I glared at him slightly but turned to the mirror again. I couldn’t talk back because he was the one who helped me to think of ways to celebrate Hae In’s and my birthdays. “Don’t worry, Jun Hyung. I know you can do it. Just follow my instructions and she’ll be yours!” He laughed.

 

“I’m not doing all these so she could be mine,” I explained to him for the umpteenth time, “I just want to make her the happiest girl on Earth.”

 

“She’ll be. She’ll be.” He repeated and turned to the television.

 

“I’m going now!” I wore my shoes and shouted to Doo Joon. He nodded to me and waved goodbye while his eyes were still focused on the television screen.

 

Doo Joon had gotten a car for me. I didn’t know how but leader had his own ways. It was a flashy red car. I had hid a macaroons cake in the boot. Along in the boot, I also filled it with balloons so when she opened the boot, the balloons would ascend. In the midst of the balloons, I hid another gift for her – a really big teddy bear… along with two couple rings. One for her and one for me. Today was my last chance to make her mine. I wanted her to make her decision tonight.

 

 

I got into the car and touched the bouquet of roses that was lying on the passenger’s seat. I smelt the red roses and smiled, “Happy birthday… my Hae In.”

 

I drove the car until I was at her apartment.  I was feeling the jitters as I got out of the car with the bouquet of roses in my hand. I exhaled loudly and readjusted my clothes so I wouldn’t look too flustered in front of her.

 

I pressed the floor button that she was living at and prepared my lines to say to her, “Hae In. Happy birthday. Er… I prepared something for you… It’s downstairs… I…” I shook my head when I found myself stuttering. Heck, I should know what to say when I see her face right? That’s it.

 

The lift door opened and I walked towards Hae In’s house.

 

I stopped in my tracks when I saw a figure in front of her house. And Hae In was at her doorstep.

 

It was Ji Hoon. He was holding onto his phone and he smiled to Hae In. Hae In had a shocked expression on her face but it quickly turned into a big smile when she realised Ji Hoon was right at her doorstep.

 

“Ji Hoon! Ji Hoon!” She shouted happily and wrapped her arms around his neck. Ji Hoon embraced her back naturally and kissed on her cheek.