No More Lies

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

I sighed after seeing his 5th text to me.

 

Hae In, please don’t end our friendship. I know it’s wrong for me to lie.

 

After I read the message, he called me – again. Somehow, I was afraid to hear his voice. I had always imagined Ji Yeon to be a girl with a sweet voice and cute face. I didn’t expect a low voice at all. I banged my head on the table repeatedly as I was hesitating whether to pick up the damn call. I closed my eyes and gave in. “Yes?” I answered coldly.

 

“Look, I have my reasons for doing so. I thought you would ignore me if I said I was a guy. But I’m not lying. I am 22 years old. I’m sorry for lying to you. I really am. Please don’t end our friendship like this. You’re my lifesaver and a great person. I don’t… I don’t want to lose you.” He pleaded.

 

I melted when he said the last sentence. I didn’t know why my heart was beating so quickly although we’re just talking over the phone. He sounded very sincere about his apology. I tapped the table impatiently as I was thinking on whether to forgive him. It was hard.

 

“Can you please tell me what other things are you hiding from me?” I asked coldly again.

 

He paused for a long time. I wished I knew how he looked like so I could see his expression well. “Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” He promised.

 

It was convincing. It was crazy to say this but I didn’t want to lose him as a ‘friend’. We met over the phone but the friendship had developed to a point where I couldn’t bear to lose him. He felt the same but I couldn’t help but feel cheated. Then, I changed my mind. Truthfully, I lied to him as well. I wasn’t working at a café. I lied to him about my occupation. That made me felt guilty.

 

“Alright. I’ll forgive you… if you tell me your real name now.” I gave in eventually.

 

He sounded much happier than before. And his happy voice was very soothing and pleasing to the ears. I smiled when he sounded elated about the forgiveness. He stuttered a little and said, “My real name is… Yong Jae Soon.”

 

“Jae Soon? Seriously?! I thought that’s a girl’s name!” I laughed uncontrollably. I was impressed with myself. Although I lived in the US, I knew Jae Soon was obviously a female name.

 

“Stop laughing… I know. I should change my name one day,” He remarked and chuckled.

 

“No, no. I think it’s fine. Sorry for laughing.” I apologised but covered my mouth so I wouldn’t start laughing again. He sounded very nice actually because he didn’t get angry when I teased his name. I changed the subject and asked, “Are you studying? Are the exams nearing?”

 

He was taken aback a little when I changed the subject, “Well, yeah. My exams are coming and I’m cramping time to study…”

 

“Oh, then you should study then. Good-“ I was about to end the conversation but he called my name on the phone. My heart skipped a beat because it was the first time he said my name.

 

“Hae In-ah!” He called, “Aish, it’s okay. We can continue talking because I’m done with my studying.”

 

“Liar,” I commented, “Go back and study. I don’t want you to fail because of me.” Actually I wanted to talk to him so much but I couldn’t be selfish right?

 

“Alright then, goodnight.” He hung up the phone.

 

I exhaled out. Surprisingly, I felt like my heart was lighter after the conversation. Did it mean I’m okay with him being a guy? I was talking to a guy all along and that didn’t bother me as much as I thought.

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

She forgave me! She forgave me! She forgave me! She forgave me!

 

“Yah, Yong Jun Hyung. Stop staring into space!” Doo Joon smacked my head forcefully. Doo Joon sat beside me and watched me in awe like I was some statue in the museum. He nodded to himself as I looked at him.

 

“What?” I asked him.

 

“Are you in love?” Doo Joon randomly popped up with this question.

 

“Are you crazy?” I stood up and grabbed a can of coke from the fridge.

 

Doo Joon laughed teasingly and poked my arm again and again, “Who is it this time?”

 

“I’m not in love!” I denied strongly.

 

“Then why are your ears red?” He touched my ears with his both hands.

 

“They’re not!” I covered them and went into my room.

 

I wasn’t really in love with a girl I had never met right? I fiddled with my phone endlessly and looked through our texts. It was a secret but I saved all of our messages. Yes, I did. I didn’t know why I did that but I couldn’t bear to delete all of them. Her quotes and words were too precious for me. Every time I was sad or facing an obstacle, I would read her messages over and over and I wouldn’t get bored.

 

Was I that weak to fall in love so easily? Don’t be a fool, Yong Jun Hyung. Even though you apologised to her, you still continued to lie to her – about your name and occupation. A student? Wow, Jun Hyung, you’re really amazing to lie to her again after gaining back her trust with much effort.

 

“She wouldn’t find out this time. There’s no way.” I said to myself and forced myself to sleep.