Starting Now

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

Ji Hoon was in Korea for about a week before he went back again. He missed Korean so much. I took him around Korea to relieve his childhood in Korea. I had tons of fun with him. Every time he touched or hugged me, my heart would flutter. Being in love was the greatest thing ever. However, he had to go back and I was heartbroken.

 

“Hae In, your mum is looking better nowadays.” Ji Hoon said to me while massaging my head for me.

 

“Really? That’s good.” I answered shortly. I felt a sense of guilt when he talked about my mother. I loved my mother. I didn’t know how to express my love for her though. Our relationship was on the rocks but I couldn’t deny she’s my only kin after all. She was down with a now and the main reason I came to Korea to work was because of the medical fees. Someone in Korea had approached me to work here and the pay was very good. However, Ji Hoon was still helping me to settle the medical fees for me and visiting her almost every day.

 

He turned me around and cupped my face, “Hae In, she misses you.”

 

I removed his hands from my face and held it, “Ji Hoon, I know you’re very nice to me but I’ll settle the fees. I can’t afford to use your money anymore. Yes, you’re my boyfriend but there’s a limit to it.”

 

He shut me up by kissing me on the lips. He laid my head in his chest and I kept quiet in his arms, “Don’t worry, Hae In. I’m your boyfriend. It’s only right for me to take good care of your mother… and you. Besides, your mother was very nice to me when I was young, remember?”

 

I giggled when I remembered our past. We were technically childhood sweethearts. We grew up together but only got together three years ago. No one could ever replace him. He was like a gift from Heaven.

 

During the week I was with Ji Hoon, Jun Hyung came to look for me once. I felt that his expression was strange after I introduced Ji Hoon to him. After that, I tried texting him but he didn’t reply. I didn’t understand why. After Ji Hoon left, I had more time to myself and I called Jun Hyung. “Yeboseyo?” He answered coldly. It was the first time.

 

“Jun Hyung…” I was stumped for words after hearing his voice, “How… How are you doing?”

 

“Same old.”

 

I was stunned by his short answer. Regardless of which, I tried to stay bright about it, “Jun Hyung, I listened to the new album. It’s great and…”

 

He cut me off rudely, “Look, I need to go. My manager is waiting for me. Bye.”

 

“Wait!” But he hung up on me. He never hung up on me like that. There was something wrong with his attitude towards me.

 

The next day, 2PM’s schedule clashed with BEAST again. They were attending a variety show together and I was assigned to take photos during the filming. I saw Jun Hyung at the hallway alone. I made my chance to say hello to him again. “Jun Hyung!” I called out but his face changed after seeing me.

 

“Good luck for the variety show later.” I said awkwardly.

 

“Thanks.” He simply stated.

 

I grabbed his arm when he was about to leave, “What’s the hurry? We haven’t even converse for 10 seconds.”

 

“I need to go now.”

 

“Filming doesn’t start in 30 minutes.” I knew the schedule well enough to answer him confidently. He was defeated and leaned against the wall and placing both hands in his pockets, avoiding my eyes.

 

“Why are you treating me this way? We’re fine last week. What happened?” I asked him desperately. It was disappointing to see my friend acting like this with me, especially when there was no specific reason for it.

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

It’s because I was trying to forget about you but you keep appearing in my mind.

 

I answered her question, in my head.

 

“I’ve been really busy lately, that’s all. Don’t read too much in it.” I brushed off her question.

 

She placed her hand on my cheek. My face became flushed. It was the first time she touched me. It always had been me putting arms around her shoulder or touching her hair but it was the first time she touched me. I was tempted to regain back the feelings I had for her.

 

She started speaking in her soothing voice once again, “I have said it before. If you need a listening ear when you feel troubled, you can always tell me. If you feel embarrassed, you can always text me about it, Jun Hyung. Don’t forget that.”

 

But the problem was that I felt troubled because of you, Hae In.

 

She removed her hand. That was quick.

 

I took out my hands in my pockets. Suddenly, the necklace that was meant for Hae In fell out of the pocket. I panicked as she picked it up before I did. I wished she didn’t find out the present was meant for her but she was smart. “Is this… for me?” She asked weakly.

 

It was obvious. It was a camera necklace. No one could represent it except for her. I bit my lips and looked down, surrendering. “Yes.” I answered shortly.

 

“Then why don’t you give it to me?” She asked innocently. She really didn’t get it, did she?

 

I sighed heavily and snatched away the necklace, “It doesn’t mean anything anymore.” I put in back into my pocket and left the hallway.

 

The filming started and Hae In was at the audience’s seats taking photos of 2PM. Sometimes my eyes would look towards her direction but I shrugged it off, hoping she wouldn’t notice. There was a section for individual talent and I chose singing. Yes, singing. My manager had doubts but I was determined to showcase my singing talent… like what Hae In had told me to.

 

Another reason was that I dedicated this song just for her. I chose this song after I knew she had a boyfriend. It would seem meaningless now but I couldn’t change my song choice. “It’s something new for our rapper, Jun Hyung, to sing a slow song! Can I ask what made you choose this song?” The MC asked me.

 

I looked at Hae In who also stopped taking photos and stared at me. I bravely made eye contact at her and said the truth, “I… just want to dedicate this song to a very special person. I just hope she’s listening attentively to my song now.” Everyone clapped and I went to the middle of the stage.

 

 

 

I love you.

Words from the bottom of my heart

I love you.

Words that I would like to say again a thousand times

Until now I haven’t give you anything

So I want to give you more now

Words which I would like to tell

Only to you

 

The song is Starting Now, I Love You by Lee Seung Gi. I wanted to say I love you to her since that day I went to her apartment lobby but I was a step too late. After this song, I promised to let go of my feelings for her.

 

Back then, I don’t know about love

Staying by the side of someone

I’m both unfamiliar and scared

In this kind of thing

Only now, I understand love

Those days which I always push you away

I said that it wasn’t love between us

Thanks for the trust you have given me

Looking back now, there are lots of memories

I really didn’t know that was actually love

 

I expressed my feelings to her through the lyrics of the song. I understood love… through Hae In but she didn’t love me. It was all a one-sided love. My heart broke whenever the scene of her holding her boyfriend’s arm replayed in my mind. I had to forget about her.

 

I, who is tired every day,

Will be really glad to be able to meet you

And say these words that make you feel touched

 

The last chorus before the end of the song, I sang it with all my feelings. I looked at her directly and sang the chorus. She was looking at me as well. Did she get the message? Hopefully, after the end of the song, I would get back the friendship we had before.

 

I love you.

Words from the bottom of my heart

I love you.

Words that I would like to say again a thousand times

Until now I haven’t give you anything.

So I want to give you more now

Words which I would like to tell

Only to you

 

The audience clapped and I could see some of them having some tears in their eyes. They felt it. Did you feel it, Hae In? Hae In stood up and clapped for me. I bowed humbly and returned to my seat. Everyone was impressed with my singing.

 

The MC ended my section with one sentence, “Hopefully, the girl has listened well to your song for her.”

-

 

Author's Note:

Lee Seunggi is my favourite solo singer. He's such an all rounded artiste! :)

Thank you for the comments. Keep them coming because it motivates me to write.