A Decision

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

From Jun Hyung

I had something on last minute. I’m not coming over. I’m sorry.

 

I received a text from Jun Hyung. It was odd. I was already dressed to go out with him. However, Ji Hoon was right in front of me now too. I was confused in this kind of situation.

 

Ji Hoon was smiling at me when we sat down on the couch together. I shrugged off Jun Hyung’s message first and hugged my boyfriend. “What are you doing here?” I asked him the obvious question.

 

“I couldn’t let my girlfriend celebrate her birthday alone right?” Ji Hoon beamed.

 

I pinched his cheeks lightly and smiled. My smile was only half genuine as I was lying to him just a little bit, “I have Min Yeong and my colleagues!”

 

“Don’t you want me to be here?” He asked.

 

“Of course not!” I waved my hands from left to right. He laughed at my stupid attempt and grabbed hold of my hands and wrapped them around his waist. I plopped down to his chest hard and he embraced me warmly.

 

Suddenly, his tone was becoming more serious, “I’m sorry. I’m a bad boyfriend.”

 

I looked up at him questionably and asked, “What? Why are you saying such things?”

 

“I left you alone in Korea while I’m studying in the States. I… I wasn’t even here when you’re pregnant with my child. I wasn’t even here when you lost the child. I was so irresponsible. I wasn’t there when you needed me the most.” He murmured through his breath and I could feel that his heart was aching.

 

I bit my lips to prevent myself from crying and gazed at his face. I was mesmerised. “Ji Hoon, you took care of my mother when I was here. You came here to see me despite your studies. You stayed by my side since we were just 10. What else can I ask for more?” I cupped his face and explained with my heart.

 

“I was still irresponsible… for making you pregnant,” He repeated the point that made me weak in the heart. I was still sad over it and I couldn’t forget the incident as much I wanted to. “Hae In, I want to be a responsible person for you now. I want to be a good husband for you.” He rambled over the last sentence to me.

 

“Hus… Husband?” I repeated the word that he emphasised.

 

All of a sudden, he knelt down in one knee, “Seo Hae In,” I was shocked when he called my Korean name instead, “After I finished my studies and getting my degree, I have confidence to get a good job and start a family with you. It’s my lifelong dream to make you my wife.”

 

I suddenly remembered his words when I was at the hospital.

“Come with me.” He said to me.

I couldn’t comprehend his words fast enough, “What?”

“Come with me… to the States.” He repeated himself with a better explanation.

“But…” I was lost for words.

“I’m just saying… but I’m serious. You can take your time to consider it. I’ll leave the States tomorrow.” He kissed my forehead and my heart skipped two beats.

 

He was serious about it and I had thought long about this issue. I never knew he would do such a thing. He took out a box and opened it. It was a flashy and sparkling star-shaped diamond ring in the box. I pursed my lips as he reached out for my hand and kissed it softly. My heart was pounding so quickly. I was overwhelmed with joy and anxiety. Was I supposed to say something? What was I going to do?

 

 

“Hae In,” He continued after the kiss, “Will you marry me?”

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

 I was at our balcony again. I sipped the coffee as usual. It was the last day of the ten days of Hae In and I being a couple. In the end, we didn’t even celebrate our day together. I was disappointed but I wondered how Hae In felt about it.

 

She might be happy since Ji Hoon flew all the way back to Korea just for her birthday. Why would I spoil the moment for the couple… just because of my selfishness?

 

Suddenly, I felt some droplets on my shirt and into my cup of coffee. I looked up to the sky to find the clouds gathering together. “Aish, my coffee!” I cursed myself as my coffee was getting all the rain in it. I covered the coffee and decided to leave the balcony.

 

Someone stopped me from walking and handed me a cup of fresh coffee. I lifted my head to see Hae In right in front of me. She looked apologetic and prompted me to get the coffee from her hand. I stared into her shimmering eyes and my heart started to sink. “It’s okay. I’m going off now.” I spoke to her curtly and was about to walk off when she blocked my path by opening her arms out wide.

 

“We need to talk…” She started the conversation that I had dreaded. I was afraid of this. I was afraid of her making a decision between Ji Hoon and me. I just wanted to be with her in those ten days. Now that it was over, I felt that I had woken up to reality.

 

“I had something on…” I gave the poor excuse.

 

She put down her hands and confronted me confidently, “You’re lying. You’re lying, I can tell.” She made a step forward but I backed away from her. She sighed and asked, “What happened? You were alright before.”

 

I should be honest with her right now. Our relationship was getting out of hand. “I saw Ji Hoon outside your house on your birthday.” I confessed and looked down, avoiding her eyes so I wouldn’t lose control of myself.

 

“You saw him?”

 

I nodded slightly.

 

“Jun Hyung,” She gulped, “Ji Hoon proposed to me that night.”

 

My expression became stiff after her last sentence. How was I supposed to react? Was I supposed to congratulate her? I swallowed my anxiety and asked, “What did you say?” I was hoping she wouldn’t disappoint me.

 

“I… haven’t given him an answer.” She admitted, “I want to talk to you first.”

 

“Why? To ask me for permission?” I blurted out in anger. She was startled by my remark and I retreated back my rudeness. “I’m sorry.” I apologised. I had to be direct so we were clear of our own feelings, “Today marks the end of the ten days.”

 

She looked down immediately and didn’t say a single word. I gritted my teeth as I said the next sentence to her, “It marks the day when you make your decision.”