Dirty Liar

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

“Who’s Ji Yeon?!” Min Yeong was looking through my contacts.

 

I allowed her to do so because there weren’t any secrets in my phone so it was safe to let her see it. Well, she knew I had a boyfriend and she was nice enough not to read our messages so it was okay.

 

“The only people you know are – Me, Woo Young, your boss and your boyfriend. Oh my god, you don’t even have all of the 2PM members’ numbers! Where does this Ji Yeon come from and you text her a lot!” She confronted me like an overprotective older sister.

 

I told her how I ‘met’ Ji Yeon and she was dumbfounded. She clearly didn’t believe a word I say. Well, if it was me, I wouldn’t too. How was it possible for me to actually tell her that this person texted me randomly when she’s in trouble and I texted her for encouragement and we became texting friends? It was hard to believe, I admitted. “You can believe or not, it’s really true.” I was defeated.

 

“Are you sure this ‘Ji Yeon’ person is a girl?” She suspected like what I did the other time.

 

“I’m not sure actually,” I admitted, “I have never spoken to her on the phone before. Well, I don’t think it’s necessary. I rather keep our relationship like this, you know.”

 

“If you were able to lie to her about your occupation, it’s most likely this person would lie about their gender too, Hailey!” She stated as a matter of fact but I silently agreed with her. She placed one arm on my shoulder and whispered into my ear unnecessarily, “Would you like to find out if the person is telling the truth?”

 

I asked her, “How?”

 

“Use my phone and call her. She doesn’t have my number so most probably she would pick up! We’ll put it on loudspeaker so both of us can hear her voice. Cool?” She suggested and I thought it was a brilliant idea.

 

I was a little sceptical about the idea but I agreed to it anyway. I wanted to find out if Ji Yeon lied to me about her gender. As I was the first one to reveal my age and gender, she might lie about hers to have something common in me. I was thinking about what I should do if I ever found out she was never a female from the first place. I would feel cheated.

 

Min Yeong dialled Ji Yeon’s number. It rang a few times. It rang again. “Looks like she’s not picking up,” I said.

 

“Is she not picking up because it’s an anonymous number?” Min Yeong pondered the possibility.

 

And then, someone picked it up but no one said anything. Both of us were too scared to speak first but I nudged Min Yeong who was the braver one. She pressed her nose together and spoke, “Yeoboseyo?”

 

I laughed at her weak attempt to change her voice but covered my mouth so our test wouldn’t be given away. We waited for the person to speak. And suddenly, a deep and brooding voice spoke, “Yeoboseyo?”

 

Min Yeong and I exchanged eye contacts in shock. Min Yeong told me not to freak out first and she calmed herself down first. “Yeoboseyo?” The voice spoke again and it was definitely not a female’s voice.

 

However, Min Yeong was smart. She continued the confirmation by asking, “Yes, is this the owner of this current phone number?”

 

The person paused for a moment. I bit my lip nervously.

 

He answered like it was an obvious question, “Er, yes?”

 

I opened my mouth in disbelief. Ji Yeon was a man… all along?!

 

“Yah!” I screamed into the phone as Min Yeong tried to shush me. I grabbed the phone and almost tore my hair apart, “You… dirty liar!”

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

“Yah!”

 

Suddenly, the other end of the phone was screaming with anger. I was shocked by how the tone of the person changed so quickly that I jumped out of my seat.

 

“You dirty liar!” What?!

 

“Excuse me, who is on the line?” I was slightly annoyed but I tried to keep my composure in case it was someone important and I couldn’t lose my cool as Yong Jun Hyung.

 

“Hello, nice to meet you. It’s Hae In here,” She spoke sarcastically. What?! Hae In? I checked the caller ID on my phone and realised it was anonymous. Shoot, she used someone else’s phone to call me! She continued again, “Hi, supposedly named ‘Ji Yeon’! I can’t believe you lied to me about your gender. I bet you lie about your age too. Tell me honestly who you are!”

 

I gritted my teeth as my heart was pounding quickly. My secret was exposed and my head was going to explode soon. I sighed and recollected my thoughts, “Hey… Look…”

 

“Nevermind, forget it. It’s fine with me because we don’t even know each other so let’s just stop contacting from now on.” She hung up the phone on me.

 

I mentally cursed myself and hit my head on the table. I clicked on her contact name and dialled for her number. Unsurprisingly, she didn’t pick up the phone. However, I didn’t give up. I tried a countless of times until she hung up my phone within the first ring. Without a choice, I texted her.

 

Hae In, I’m sorry. Please listen to my explanation. Pick up my call.

 

Honestly, I still hadn’t thought of any explanation yet. I would take this time to think of one until she cooled down and reply to my messages.

 

I knew she would be reading this. I thought it over carefully. I finally realised Hae In wasn’t lying to me. She was indeed a girl and her voice sounded like she was in her early twenties. I had broken the trust she gave to me. However, I had my reasons. I couldn’t tell her I was a guy. She might avoid me from the beginning. Plus, I couldn’t tell her I was Yong Jun Hyung. The world would go bonkers.

 

I had never felt so confused because of one girl since I debut.

 

Hae In-ah, what had you done to me?