A Special Friend

My Secret Texting Partner

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

“Did you see that particular scene? It was so hilarious!” She kept repeating the scenes of the movie to me and started laughing again. I folded my arms and laughed along with her. She made me feel more at ease now.

 

We strolled past a shop selling different kind of stuff from stuff toys to snacks. Hae In stepped inside without informing me and I followed her in. She was fiddling with the stuff toys herself and smiled brightly. I smiled and walked off deeper into the shop. I found row of sparkling key chains. They were very sparkly but had a lot of varieties. I looked through every single one of them and took up one. “This looks suitable.” I commented.

 

Hae In’s POV

 

We were already out of the shop. In fact, we were sitting at the Han River now, admiring the beautiful scenery. It was a perfect moment for me to capture some shots today. I took out my camera and clicked. I was very happy with my photos. I looked through them repeatedly until Jun Hyung cleared his throat. I stared at him and apologised, “Sorry. Sometimes I’m too absorbed in taking photos.”

 

I kept away my camera so I could pay more attention to him. I thought he would be angry but he laughed, “Hey, it’s okay. I’m not as scary as you think, you know. I admire you for loving your job so much.”

 

“Don’t you?” I asked him immediately without thinking.

 

His smile fell and sighed, “Sometimes I do. But sometimes I absolutely hate it.” I was feeling empathic towards him but shocked as well. He’s a famous person now, why didn’t he like his job? He continued, “I have always wanted to be a singer. A full-fledged singer. However, they always gave me the position of the rapper. I like rapping but not as much as singing.”

 

I remembered the first time I listened to BEAST’s song. The first one that caught my eye was him and his rapping. His rapping was good. It didn’t come to me that he liked singing better. I nodded in acknowledgement and told him, “Then sing.”

 

“What?” He was taken aback.

 

“If you really like singing, you should try all your best to sing. Showcase more of your singing to the public. If it’s good, they will acknowledge your talent of singing.” I said simply. I just realised I was giving him encouragement for the first time face to face.

 

“Do you want me to hear me sing now?” Jun Hyung asked me while leaning closer to me.

 

“Well, why not? My ears are ready.” I pulled both of my ears jokingly and he laughed. Success.

 

He fidgeted and answered me, “Next time. I’m not ready.”

 

I took my camera and took a snapshot at him again. He was shocked again. I apologised for being so random and taking his candid pictures. He teased, “I should start collecting fees now. I can be rich.” I punched his shoulder lightly and placed my camera down.

 

“I have something for you!” Jun Hyung changed the subject to liven up the mood and searched his pockets.

 

“For me? Really?”

 

He took out a small keychain out and handed it to me. I took it and examined it. It was a keychain of a camera – a very sparkling camera. I loved it! I loved sparkling things. The ends of my lips curved upwards and my teeth were showing. “How do you know I love sparkling stuff?  Whoa, I love it! I really love it! Thank you, Jun Hyung!” I exclaimed excitedly.

 

 

 “But why give me a present out of a sudden? There’s no need for you to…”

 

“Because it’s been a long time since I had a new friend. To be specific, a female friend.” He replied without hearing my whole question. He looked up in the sky and closed his eyes again. “There were many times females would come up to me and said they wanted to be friends with me. They wanted to be friends with Yong Jun Hyung – the member of BEAST… Not Yong Jun Hyung.” He said seriously and I almost wanted to place one arm over his shoulder to give him support.

 

However, I did not do so. I wasn’t ready to give him support in THAT way. I was still doubtful about touching guys like that, even a normal holding hands. I said to him, “Have you ever thought maybe I was one of them? What made you so sure that I wasn’t being friends with you because you’re an idol?” I was curious but I knew that wasn’t my motive to be his friend.

 

“You gave me motivation to a stranger you don’t know from the start. That’s enough for an explanation.” He answered.

 

“How about female idols?” I asked jokingly, hoping he wasn’t offended in any way.

 

He laughed out loud. I was relieved. He whispered to me unnecessarily, “Let’s say most of them are pretty difficult to approach.”

 

I rolled my eyes at him and accused, “So you have tried but fail right?” and he stuck out his tongue due to embarrassment. This had taught me not to judge a book by its cover. Jun Hyung was a very suave rapper or idol in front of all his fans and audience but deep down, he had inferior complexity. It shouldn’t be that way. He should see himself in other people’s perspective.

 

“Jun Hyung,” I called his name and he responded by looking at me, “You’re a great person deep inside. You need more willpower to do what you really like. People fail to notice you but remember this: Your greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time you fail.

 

He tucked my strands of hair behind my ear. I flinched as my heartbeat got faster. He smirked at me and said, “With your words, I feel better. Hae In, thank you.”

 

I laughed to save the awkwardness, “Don’t mention it. We’re friends.”

 

Jun Hyung sent me home on a ride on his motorcycle – again. It was different from last time. This time it was much more comfortable. I got off his motorcycle and bowed to him, “Thank you for the ride.”

 

“Oh holy… what the heck, Hailey!” I heard Min Yeong behind me as she dropped her phone on the floor as she spotted Jun Hyung in front of her. I was panicking and shooed Jun Hyung to leave first. Jun Hyung put on his helmet again and drove off. “Hailey, I swear I just saw Yong Jun Hyung send you back home. You better tell me every single th-“ I covered before she continued to blabber.

 

“Shh! Let’s get home first.” I continued to cover as we took the lift up.

 

I sighed when we reached the doorstep because I expected her to start talking again. “We’re home now.” She was a little pissed and eager at the same time.

 

I sat her down so that she would listen to me properly and I told her what happened.

 

“What the heck?! Jun Hyung is Jae soon who used to be Ji Yeon?! Whoa, that is some small world!” Min Yeong was amazed that he mouth wouldn’t close the whole time. I closed by moving up her jaw. She folded her arms and said, “Doesn’t that mean Jun Hyung was in trouble when he first randomly texted you? I wonder what kind of trouble was he in… He sounds depressed.”

 

I had never thought of that but if he wanted to tell me, I didn’t have to probe.

 

“Wait!” She interrupted my thoughts again. She leaned closer to me and scrutinised me from head to toe, “Don’t you have a boyfriend? Why are you hanging out with another guy in Korea?! Are you cheating?!” She accused me.

 

“I’m not!” I pushed her face away from mine. It was too close for comfort, Min Yeong. I hugged the pillow and explained to her, “We’re just friends. We happen to know each other through texts. I’m not that crazy to go out with another guy when I have a boyfriend, Min Yeong.”

 

I was telling the truth. I had gone out with my boyfriend for three years and nothing was going to break us apart.

 

Jun Hyung was a friend… that happened to be a little special.