Picking You Up

My Secret Texting Partner

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

So here I was again, in the same café, sitting at my favourite place that I loved one year ago. The snow was falling slowly on the window glass. The window glass was blurred by the mist. I drew a heart on the window with my index finger and smiled lightly.

 

A year had passed. In one single year, so many things had happened. BEAST was doing better than ever. Some of our new songs didn’t even have raps anymore. My singing and my voice was recognised by the fans and the staffs so I was allowed for singing parts now. It was my dream to sing – not rap. I was happy. I was now more passionate about my job. Of course, I did compose many songs that are a hit in the sales now. You could say that my career was what everyone wanted to have.

 

I hardly had any free time to myself but today was an exception. It was my birthday – 19th December. However, I had decided to spend it alone for a while. The members and friends had celebrated for me earlier but what I need now was some alone time.

 

I looked at my phone and my contacts in it – My Secret Texting Partner.

 

For one year, I had never deleted the number.

 

However, I had never tried to send any text to the person.

 

You could say I was a coward. You could say I was a loser. I failed to see her for the last time but I guessed things had changed now. I hadn’t seen her for a year and I wondered about her whereabouts at times. But I wasn’t brave enough to find out anything about her, even from Min Yeong.

 

Sometimes after work, I would just kept walking on the streets and reflect on myself. And I would land myself outside her apartment again. I could never forget where she once lived. I could never forget the day when I first walked her home and the first time I sent her home with my motorcycle. Did she forget about me?

 

After a couple of months had passed, my heart had recovered and I was doing okay without her. However, I still could not find the courage to ask how she was doing, afraid that the feelings might take over me again. Thoughts like that... one year had passed unknowningly. I sighed and faced the phone, “Are you doing well, my random texting partner?” I placed down my phone flat on the table, “I hope you are… Because I’m doing well right now.”

 

This wasn’t my first time talking to myself as if I was talking to her directly.

 

I rubbed my hands together as I was feeling cold from the weather.

 

“Hae In-ah…” I gulped and smiled when I finally gained the courage to say her name for the very first time, “Happy birthday.”

 

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. Must be Doo Joon nagging me to come now right now. I checked the clock on the wall – it was already 1am. I had stayed here for a long time. My members might be worried about me.

 

I looked at the text and read it.

 

From My Secret Texting Partner

Why aren’t you wishing me happy birthday directly?

 

I received a message from her! Where was she? How did she know?

 

I looked around my surroundings and found her standing behind me. She was at the other corner of the café. She was wearing a thick jacket and her hands were in her pocket. Her cheeks were flushed from the weather and her hair was shorter now.

 

I stood up slowly but didn’t know what to say. I didn’t even dare to walk towards her. I couldn’t believe she was here, standing right in front of me. It was surreal. I was afraid it was just a hallucination. Maybe she would disappear if I had stepped closer.

 

However, she didn’t disappear. She gave me the warmest smile ever to melt me in this cold weather. She took out her hand which was holding onto her phone and waved it at me. She sent me another text.

 

How are you doing, my secret texting partner? :)

 

She remembered my nickname for her. Without any words, I took my phone and replied to her.

 

I’m doing great. How about you? Is Ji Hoon bullying you?

 

I but I was serious in asking her the question.

 

She smiled with her teeth showing as she read the message.

 

He’s very good to me, as always. Jun Hyung, congratulations. I know you have found the person you deserve. Treasure her and never hurt her.

 

Thank you, Hae In. Yes, I will.

 

After my career had stabilised, I had found a girl who loved me more than I did. She’s no one other than Goo Hara. When Hae In left, I was dejected and lost. Hara was the one who pulled me up from the sadness and showed me life in a complete different light.

 

I had moved on from my last love and Hara had touched my heart.

 

“Jun Hyung,” Hae In gained the courage to speak first, “Why didn’t you contact me after I have left?”

 

I stayed silent. I didn’t want her to know the reason. I just smirked at her.

 

“Forget it,” She shook her head, “It’s all in the past.”

 

I nodded at her, agreeing with her words.

 

“Jun Hyung,” She called for my name again ever so sweetly, “Happy birthday.”

 

She stepped forward and faced me directly, “A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same. Jun Hyung, you’re that friend of mine and that will never change.”

 

I was touched by her wise words again. Yes, all of the romantic feelings had almost disappeared in our hearts but we couldn’t deny the true friendship we had for each other. We were there for each other. We supported each other when we’re at our lowest. A friend like that was hard to let go but no one ever took the first step to reconcile.

 

She is a friend of my mind. She gathered me, man. The pieces I was, she gathered them and gave them back to me in all the right order. It's good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind.

 

Good friends were hard to find, harder to leave and impossible to forget. Hae In was one example. I knew that without her help, I wouldn’t be the Yong Jun Hyung today.

 

I hugged Hae In gently and whispered into her ear, “Thank you Hae In, for showing me a different perspective of life.”

 

All of the memories kept flowing back to me as I remembered distinctively her first message to me.

 

Life never leaves you empty.
It always replaces everything you lost.
If it asks you to put something down,
It's because, it wants you to pick up something better.

 

And I really did. I ‘picked up’ Hae In and it was the best thing I had ever gotten.