What If

My Secret Texting Partner

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

From My Secret Texting Partner

Let’s meet. I need to talk to you. Please?

 

I read the message over and over again. We were at the same café again. She told me to meet her here. It was like our special meeting place. There’s no other better place than this café. I didn’t order anything this time. I didn’t know how long our conversation would be so it would be the best not to order anything.

 

We had said to remain friends but it was hard to not to be awkward with each other. We shared a special bond but now the bond was broken. It was mended but the scar would forever stay there. I grabbed my phone as I waited for her arrival eagerly. I was nervous to what she was going to talk about today. It didn’t feel good at all. I had a bad feeling about it.

 

Finally, Hae In arrived and she looked so much better since the day at the balcony. I remembered she looked so dejected then and now she was glowing. Perhaps, it’s the power of love. I smirked as I found my own thoughts to be corny. Jun Hyung, you had officially lost your mind.

 

She bowed and sat down in front of me. She smiled and greeted me by saying, “How are you doing?”

 

“Same old.” I replied her coldly unintentionally.

 

“Oh.” She stumbled as I was treating her like that.

 

“Would you like something to drink?” I offered so I could break the ice. Hopefully, she wouldn’t think that I was being difficult to her.

 

“No thanks. I had a drink a moment ago, thank you.” She grinned at me again. Her cute smile that would always etched in my heart.

 

I looked down and asked her the most important question, “What do you want to talk about?”

 

“Oh, right.” She snapped out of it and placed both her arms on the table while gazing at me, “Jun Hyung, I’ll be leaving to the States exactly two weeks later.”

 

I exhaled heavily and tried to control my expression. Maybe it wasn’t something that I had thought it to be. I asked her for specific details, “For a holiday trip?”

 

“No, it’s not a holiday trip.” She emphasised and forced a smile, “I’m going there to get married and stay there with Ji Hoon and my mother.”

 

I just stayed silent, not knowing what to say. Honestly, I should have expected this someday but I didn’t know it would happen so soon. She continued and said, “My contract with JYPE has also ended and I have tendered my resignation. I just need to cover some loose ends before leaving.”

 

“And you’re telling me all these because…?”

 

She leaned back to her chair and explained, “You’re my good friend and a good friend deserves to know. Jun Hyung, you know I don’t want things to end between us like this. Let’s be friends and keep in contact.”

 

From the day at the balcony, Hae In had definitely moved on. And I should too. Even if Hae In wasn’t mine in the end, I should at least treasure the special friendship we had for each other. “Of course,” I smiled at Hae In and punched her arm lightly to show that I was perfectly fine, “I will always be here for you as a friend.”

 

Hae In smiled with her teeth showing this time.

 

“Hae In, we really met in a bizarre way. It’s really fate.” I mentioned it simply. Yes, it was fate. We were just fated to be just friends.

 

“I didn’t believe in fate at first. You changed my way of thinking.” She sighed and nodded.

 

I remembered the first message she sent to me and chuckled. She was baffled at my sudden laughter and I explained, “Imagine this: If you had never replied to my text, all these things would have never happened. I would have never met you and I would have never experienced such amazing ups and downs in my life. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had never met you.”

 

She giggled along with me and agreed with me, “I would have lost a good friend like you. Honestly, the only friends I had in Korea were Min Yeong and Woo Young before you appeared in my life. With you, my life became more meaningful.” She laughed louder this time and imagined another scenario, “Try to imagine this instead: If I had accepted you as my boyfriend, we would be going out on a date right now…”

 

“Perhaps going to the Han River or a beach…”

 

“But with caps and sunglasses on ourselves so you wouldn’t be revealed to the public…”

 

“Someday, after some months, we might get caught in public and I’ll be slammed by fans for hiding a relationship with a non-celebrity…”

 

“You would have gotten more anti-fans and BEAST is in deep trouble…”

 

“My anti-fans would come and find you and say that you’re not good enough for me…”

 

“We would start fighting because of all the problems caused by our own relationship…”

 

“Our relationship would be strained because of all the pressure coming from the public, fans and bosses…”

 

“In the end…”

 

“We would still end off badly and break up…”

 

Her smile slightly fell as she completed our ‘love story with a simple but harsh conclusion’, “We won’t even stay as friends anymore.”

 

From her announcement, our conversation changed to a sudden friendship confession. It was weird but assuring to know each other’s feelings clearly now. It was better if we were friends. If we had gone further and be in a relationship, things would just turned out for the worse. At least, Hae In and I could keep our friendship like that.

 

“Maybe it’s right for us to stay as friends.” I concluded our conversation.

 

“Maybe…” She trailed off.

 

It was another awkward silence. We were just watching the people passing by outside and enjoying the nice weather. She breathed in loudly and asked, “Will you send me off at the airport?”

 

“Doesn’t Ji Hoon mind?”

 

“Of course not. He knows you.”

 

I stood up as soon as I checked the time. I was using too much time and I needed to go off now. “Ah! Hae In, I’m late for my training and I need to go off now.” I told her, “I don’t know if I’ll be free on that day.”

 

She looked a little disappointed by my answer.

 

I tried to mend it up by giving her a slight hope, “I’ll try to find time. I’ll confirm when the time comes, okay?” I pinched her cheeks lightly and she grinned at me.

 

She nodded and stood up as well, “Alright then. Goodbye, Jun Hyung.”

 

“Goodbye, Hae In.”

 

I wasn’t leaving her yet. I couldn’t bear to take another step out of the café… because I knew it would be the last time I would see her. I felt sorry for giving her false hope. I would never send her off at the airport because I knew I wasn’t going to be strong enough to let her slip away from my hand. I touched her lips for a moment before removing my hand away.

 

Goodbye, Hae In… for good.

 

I thought in my head and opened the door to the outside, leaving behind memories of Hae In and I in the café we once owned together.

-

 

Author's Note:

Another chapter for all the hungry readers out there. :)

By the way, I'm shamelessly promoting my "new" fanfic which features Chan Sung (2PM) and Min (Miss A). I know all of you here are probably B2UTIES but you can still check it out before reading on! Thank you for supporting my fanfics! <3

You Intrigued Me