BigBang_Kris #3

iKon Imagines - REQUESTS CLOSED

Her lips curled into a soft smile as she glanced over to the boy next to her. His sharp features and perfect hair made him almost unimaginable. Still, she mentally thanked everything above her for her win. She had settled the hottest boy in her school year and nothing could change that.

Jinhyeong and Jahye had met three summers ago. Sometime between when the air was thin with sweat and sports. It was a fall in love type of time and Jahye wasn't expecting any of it. She had just finished her first year at Seoul University, her father head professor of the school. It was the usual summer; hot, dry and bland. Nothing ever happened, nothing important at least. 

But one day when the sun was shining heavily through her bedroom window, her legs tangled under a sheet while reading a magazine, she heard a car roll into her driveway. This was a subtle, small sound but it tingled her ears and pulled her brows together. That was the day she knew things were about to change, she just had a good feeling.

And things did. The new boy they called him, she called him prince because that was what he resembled. He was humble, kind, handsome and warm hearted. Some called him the love of their life but he told everyone to call him Jinhyeong. 

Jinhyeong. What a beautiful name for a beautiful person. And that he was. The two became close as friends and soon, Jinhyeong began to ignore the girls around him and all of his time went to Jahye. She didn't notice of course, she only thought he was being nice. That's what prince's did right? But every prince had their princess. And this crown was going to Jahye. 

Summer had almost ended and Jahye and Jinhyeong were soon parting ways. He was older and needed to focus on his last year of studies while Jahye was going into her second. Before his departure, he stood in front of her, his eyes gleaming with something other than sadness and held her hands in his. With a sudden kiss he pulled back looking into her soul, her heart and told her he loved her. 

The kiss was sweet, like apples or...cherries and she would never forget it. It was everything she had imagined, his lips were soft and careful as if he was taking his time even though he was desperate. 

They didn't get together that summer because they were both too busy settling their feelings. The summer after that, they rejoiced and began spending more and more time together. He asked her out but she refused, saying she needed more time to think. He agreed and the same routine of departure had played out again. The third summer, he didn't spend as much time as he did with her and she dreaded it. It was then she realized he meant so much more than she thought and that she missed him more than anything. Her feelings were strong and she was the one to ask him out this time. He agreed and here she was, standing in front of the door of their house, keys in hand and a smile on her face.

Perfect. 

She could almost feel his warm hands wrap around her waist and quickly she fumbled with the metal lock on the door before gently pressing it open.

Jinhyeong was standing a few metres away, eyes on the clock. When he heard the door he directed his gaze towards her.

“You’re here,” He spoke, a hint of dissatisfaction in his tone. It seemed he was trying to hide it, cover it up, but Jahye noticed.

“You okay?” She questioned, ping her trench coat and hanging the soaking thing on the rack.

It was raining cats and dogs outside and she had been with friends at a bar. Her friend Mai had returned from her trip to Australia and she invited her friends for a girl’s night out.

“I’m fine, are you okay?” He responded, his arms crossed against his broad chest.

“Yeah, babe why are you upset?” She finally laughed, placing a hand on her hip.

“I’m not,” He sighed, his shoulders falling, “Forget it okay?”

She nodded slowly, her wet hair sticking to her cheeks. Weird was an understatement at this point and a part of her felt like Jinhyeong was a total stranger.  She was afraid of what he was upset about. That was the last reaction she wanted from him.

“Okay…” She shrugged, taking a seat next to him on the couch. She grabbed his hand immediately feeling his warmth, “Let me tell you the funniest thing!”

He glanced at her but didn’t stop her.

“Okay so Mai walked in the bar right? And this guy came stumbling around her. She tried to run away thinking he was hitting on her but he wouldn’t leave her alone.”

Jinhyeong nodded.

“Basically she ended up calling the police to get him away and they took his DNA and fingerprints because he couldn’t remember his own damn name!” Jahye was starting to chuckle, her enthusiasm soaring through the roof.

“So they take the guys finger scan or whatever and it turns out he was registered under the same house as Mai!” Jahye threw a hand over her stomach and began to laugh.

Her shoulders shook violently as she struggled to continue the story.

“Mai was upset and asked for the name of the guy but get this, it was her uncle that just flew in from Japan to stay with the family!” Jahye could barely contain herself as she slapped her knee repeatedly.

Jinhyeong barely moved and Jahye was too caught up in her fits of laughter to notice.

“Ah, ah, isn’t that f-funny?” She stuttered, still cracking up.

She glanced over at her boyfriend who seemed unfocused and distant.

“You don’t think it’s funny? She thought it was a ert but it was her family!” Jahye tried, but he wouldn’t even crack a smile.

“Okay what the hell is wrong with you?” She became serious, her expression growing rock hard.

“Nothing,” He spoke under his breath, still looking at her.

“What is it?” She asked again, getting annoyed.

“Jahye…”

“Jinhyeong! What?”

It wasn’t like him to be so moody all of a sudden, in fact she had forgotten the last time he was this upset, this disappointed.

“It kind of pisses me off Jahye, when you go out with your friends and come home with a huge smile on your face like you just won the lottery,” Jinhyeong spat, his cheeks a light pink by now.

She sputtered, “Excuse me?”

“You heard me; you can’t expect me to be okay with you partying all night and then coming home past midnight!”

Where did this come from? Before she left the house he was totally okay with her going out with friends. Since when did he become so protective?

“What are you talking about? I told you weeks ago about this and since when was I assigned a curfew?” Jahye answered.

Jinhyeong ran a hand through his hair, frustration and anger glowing underneath his skin.

“Jahye stop,” He began.

“No, what are you saying? I don’t live with my parents and I don’t remember signing a ‘What Time I Should Be Home’ contract!” She was getting angry now too, her hair growing fizzy from its dryness and her voice hoarse with fatigue.

“It’s not about that!” Jinhyeong got up, his hands on her shoulders in a tight grip.

“Then what is it about?” She stood up now too, chest raising and falling in anger.

This was the first time in a long time they had fought. Last time Jahye got upset when he brought home lunch for one- himself. She had called him inconsiderate and selfish and he settled the misunderstanding by saying it was hers. Ever since then, they had gotten along just fine. But now Jahye’s heart was beating and she was torn between her emotions and what was really happening right now.

She wanted this to be another misunderstanding, something they could laugh about later.

“What is it about?” Her tone grew low and dangerous, scared for his response.

He didn’t answer back. Her hand began to ball into a fist and she was getting mad, angry at his lack of communication.

“You don’t want me to have fun? You don’t want me to be happy?” She asked, hot tears stinging the back of her eyes.

This would be the part in the movie where everyone threw popcorn at the screen, a chorus of ‘boo’s’ being thrown as the female lead would be labelled as ‘too dramatic’ or ‘drama queen’

But this was real life. This was Jahye feeling like complete and utter crap in front of the boy she used to think would make her feel like anything but that.

“I want you to be happy, you know I do. I just want you to be happy with me,” Jinhyeong finally spoke. It was small, voiceless almost and barely audible. But Jahye heard it. Loud and clear and it struck her like a bullet at high speed.

“What?” She breathed, her breath hitched at the back of .

“I want you to love everything you do and enjoy everywhere you go with me Jahye! I want you to have a big smile on your face after a long day with me and no one else!”

“Jinhyeong,” She felt light headed and funny.

All this time he wasn’t mad or disappointed. He wasn’t sad or upset. He was jealous; this term that everyone used so easily. This feeling Jahye had always experienced when he talked to girls or called his female professor. Now it was his turn to experience that emotion and Jahye felt powerful. She felt good knowing someone got upset over the little things she did. It just meant he cared that much more for her.

“I hate knowing you think things are boring with me but when you come home from a party those people can make you so much happier than I can,” He stepped towards her, his anger falling into desperation as he held her in a warm embrace.

“Baby,” She mumbled against his shoulder blade, “I smile when you don’t see me. I laugh at the jokes you make right before I go to bed. The best days are the days I can sit with you and tell you everything that’s happened.”

Jinhyeong’s grip loosened and he pulled back, looking into her eyes,

“I’m sorry I scared you earlier…you know me being grumpy and all.”

She laughed, this time a strong, hearty laugh,

“Come here,” She sighed, placing a soft kiss on his lips.

Apples…or cherries. Something sweet.

“God, you're so beautiful. I love you so much.” Jinhyeong sang into her neck.

“I love you too my prince.”

She couldn’t complain. After all, every prince had their days.