The Box

Genie in a Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was winter season when a strange box caught Suzy’s attention inside an antique store. It was located at the corner of the store together with the other antique boxes. She moved towards the boxes and picked the strange box. It was wrapped in a silver-laced cloth designed with with strange drawings and a ribbon was tied on top of it. Suddenly, the box glowed which made her gasp and her eyes widened. She immediately put the box back and was about to leave when suddenly, an old lady blocked her way.

“Are you going to buy the box, young lady?” the old lady asked and smiled.

She shook her head nervously and walked away.

“The box chose you,” the old lady said.

She stopped walking and spun around. “What are you talking about?” she asked curiously.

 The old lady picked the box from the cabinet and walked towards Suzy. “You’ll understand me soon. Just accept this box, young lady. It’s almost Christmas anyway. Treat this as my present for you,” she said with a smile on her face.

Suzy’s brows crossed and was hesitating to accept the box. She gulped and stared at the box. “I-I don’t need a present or a box. I should go,” she finally said and walked away.

“Wait!”

Again, Suzy spun around, curiously looking at the old lady who kept on asking her to accept the strange box.

“Do you have any wish this Christmas?” the old lady asked.

Wish? She asked herself then shook her head. “Nothing.”

“How about for your family?”

Suzy kept silent for a second then sighed. “I don’t have a family.”

“Oh,” the old lady said sorry. “Then I guess you really need this box. Trust me. It may help you.”

Suzy breathed heavily and walked towards the old lady. She was already annoyed so she took the box not wholeheartedly.

The old lady smiled as Suzy took the box from her.  She wasn’t interested with the box so she didn’t show any gratitude towards the old lady, just a face without an expression. After, she left the store, finally.

On her way to another store, she shook the box, trying to know what’s inside. It sounded nothing. “What’s inside?” she curiously asked.

The snow started to fall so she hurriedly went to the convenience store to buy what she needed in her apartment. Surprisingly, she bumped into her ex-best friend, Park Jiyeon. Jong Suk, Suzy’s ex-boyfriend was also inside the store. In other words to describe her ex-bestfriend: the traitor.

The Bae family was rich before Suzy’s parents died. Because of some loans, all their wealth was gone. Aside from that, her best friend and boyfriend were also gone from her because she treated them coldly and harshly. She knew that Jiyeon had a crush on Jong Suk during their middle school but it wasn’t good to see them together know. She felt like her best friend betrayed her.

“Hey,” Jiyeon greeted with a small smirk while Jong Suk was elsewhere.

Suzy just ignored her and continued choosing what she needed while holding the box with her right hand.

“I didn’t know you’re interested with antiques. You told me that it’s boring.” Jiyeon paused for a moment then continued, “Oh. I see. Just like you.”

Suzy glared at Jiyeon. “What do you mean just like me?”

“Now I’m going to say this. You were rich but you’re boring, Suzy, just like the box you are holding. I didn’t know why I befriended you. All you do everyday was walk around school together with your bodyguards. You were so alone in your mansion every weekend. I was trying to invite you to go shopping but you always said that you prefer to stay home.”

Suzy smirked. “That’s surprising, Jiyeon. If I am boring, why did you always hang out with me and Jong Suk?” She paused then continued, “Ah, yes. You wanted him to notice you. I forgot. You sent him a love letter when we were together and you also wanted us to separate. You even told him my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter