Chapter 5

Sunshine

 

“You’ve done everything for me, eomma. Now, please, let me do something for you.”

 – Junhong –

 


 

 

16 Years Ago

 

Daehyun had never been this eager when climbing the stairs to the rooftop. Today was the third day of the third week in a row for his visit to his private place. But considering there was someone else who was also using the rooftop for almost the same reason as his, he could call it as their secret place. Maybe that was also another fact he's going to the rooftop every single day except for the weekend, the fact that there would be someone else with him.

“You’re always here when I came up,” Daehyun said once he had reached the usual place.

Yongguk looked up at him with a frown. “Can’t I?”

Daehyun folded his arms against his chest. "Yes you can't because that's my spot," He declared.

"I thought you let me sit beside you?" Yongguk asked, raising an eyebrow quizzically.

Daehyun just pouted his lips at that since he had nothing to say in return. Rather than he just let Yongguk sit beside him, he wanted Yongguk to sit with him. Taking off his backpack, he flopped down next to Yongguk. Their sides touched each other, a gesture that showed how much they'd grown closer from the past days. Yongguk was the happiest person whenever this time came; the time when he could be this close with Daehyun, look at him and talk to him.

Yongguk eyed the younger with a smirk plastered on his face. "What about you?" He spoke up. "You seem to be coming here a lot more often lately."

Daehyun turned and narrowed his eyes at the other. "This is my spot. I can do what I want whenever I like."

"Oh, I thought it's because of the clover," Yongguk shrugged.

Daehyun's face immediately lit up. "Have you found the one with four leaves again?"

Yongguk shook his head. "No. The first four-leaf clover I had ever found was given to you," He tapped Daehyun's nose with his forefinger. "I guess I gave away all my luck to you too," This time, he pulled Daehyun's nose teasingly.

Daehyun's face scrunched up in annoyance, his lips forming a pout again. "Don't put the blame on me."

Yongguk chuckled before ruffling the younger's silky hair. Daehyun didn't flinch away. He would only shake his head to let his soft hair fall into place again, looking adorable in the other's eyes.

"Have you ever been lucky these past days?" Yongguk inquired, referring to the lucky charm clover.

"What kind of lucky? Everything’s the same way as they've been," Daehyun retorted. His brows furrowed in confusion as he gazed to the horizon, thinking back the situations he had that could be considered as him being lucky.

When Yongguk didn't give any respond, he turned to look at him. The older boy was deeply staring at him. Daehyun found it weird but somehow he couldn't utter a single word. Their eyes locked together and they were staring right into their souls.

Everything seemed to stop moving around them. Daehyun suddenly felt a surge of a foreign overwhelming feeling throughout his body. And before he could register what was going on between them, Yongguk leaned in and pressed his lips onto his.

The kiss was light and quick. Yongguk pulled himself away from a stunned Daehyun, carving a thin smile on his face. "Lucky you. You've found someone who would love you sincerely."

Daehyun was in daze, he couldn't think straight. Even when Yongguk got up to leave, he didn't say anything to stop him as if he had gone to a different world. It's when his eyes started to hurt from being opened for too long that he broke out of his trance.

 

 

###

 

 

The next day, Daehyun didn't go to the rooftop. And also the next few days. He didn't know how many days exactly had it been but those days were mostly spent with Seunghyun, his real boyfriend. The boyfriend who would hug him and kiss him and tell him that he loves him. Daehyun wanted to return all of those affections but he couldn't. He couldn't bring himself to do those things when his mind was conquered by another guy, none other than Yongguk.

What had Yongguk done to him? How could a single simple kiss affect him so much? He was confused with his own feelings and he needed an answer.

That's what had brought him to the rooftop again. Because the only person who could give the answer was Yongguk himself. But once he got there, the spot was empty except for the colourful sticky notes, covering his written name on the wall, which he didn't remember were there before.

Squatting down in front of it, Daehyun began to study each of the notes. One after another, his chest started to hurt, he felt suffocated. It wasn't long until his tears dropped to the ground.

 

Dear sunshine,

I'm sorry for what I did but I meant it

 

Dear sunshine,

I miss you

 

Dear sunshine,

I want to see you

 

Dear sunshine,

I like you

 

Dear sunshine,

I love you

 

Dear sunshine,

you're my beloved sunshine

 

My sunshine,

your eyes shine the brightest

 

My sunshine,

your smile could brighten up my world

 

My sunshine,

your voice is my favourite sound

 

My sunshine,

I love everything about you

 

My sunshine,

I want you to be happy because I love you

 

My sunshine,

I hope you're happy today. I still love you

 

My sunshine,

today I love you more than yesterday

 

My sunshine,

today too, be happy

And remember, I love you

 

 

###

 

 

Present time

 

Sunshine… How Daehyun missed the times when Yongguk would call him like that. He missed everything about that man actually. But he doubted if they could be something they were in the past. Yongguk was his master now and he was just a housekeeper who's also a single parent to his son. They're as different as night and day.

He was glad that he could finally tell Yongguk about his son. He didn't expect the older man to accept Junhong's existence so quickly and easily. Maybe because of his age, Yongguk was mature enough not to dislike Junhong just because he's the son of the person he hated the most. Yongguk even let Daehyun to leave early today since he knew Daehyun needed to feed his son.

So as soon as he finished making Yongguk's dinner, Daehyun got off work without waiting for Yongguk to come home. Now he was having dinner with Junhong, though his mind kept reminiscing about the past memories with Yongguk.

"Eomma?" Junhong called softly, making Daehyun to look up with raised brows at him. "I know you're tired but I really need to talk to you," He actually planned to talk to his mother on the other day but then Yongguk suddenly showed up at their apartment. After that, he missed the perfect time to do it.

"Okay," Daehyun nodded, straightened up in his seat to listen intently. "What is it?"

Junhong swallowed the food in his mouth before pursing his lips. His fingers were toying with the chopsticks used. "I...want to quit school," His eyes which were initially set on his plate, leveled up to meet Daehyun's pair. "I want to work instead."

Daehyun had never been in such a great shock before. His face showed it all. "What?" He breathed out in disbelief. Anger was building in himself, causing his son to lower his head. "No." He said like it was the most obvious thing to give as an answer.

Junhong looked at Daehyun again, frowning in frustration. "But why?"

“You can’t quit school just like that! Why did you even think about it anyway?" Daehyun demanded, putting down his chopsticks over his bowl.

"It's because I want to help you, eomma. You work too hard on your own and I've had enough of watching you getting tired and sick. If we need more money, I can help you to find it," Junhong calmly explained.

Upon hearing that, Daehyun's lips began to tremble, tears were pooling in his eyes. "Do you think I work hard just for us to survive?" He paused to see if Junhong would want to answer him but the boy's face changed once he saw his mother was about to cry.

"I work hard so that I can raise you, send you to school," Daehyun spoke up after a moment of intense silence. "I want to see you live a normal life like the other kids. I want you to be happy without having to face the hardships in earning some money for a living. I want you to finish school, and go to college, and get a proper job so you'll live in a huge house and eat something delicious everyday."

Junhong dropped his gaze to the table. In contrast to the smirk on his lips, his eyes were clouded with tears, scoffing quietly at his mother. "But I don't have a normal life…" He murmured before staring right at Daehyun. "I'm not like the other kids," His voice raised a pitch higher as his hand kept hitting his chest. "My mom is too young, I don't have a father and I'm an illegitimate child!"

"Junhong!" Daehyun yelled. His eyes were wide as he scowled at his son though the tears flooding out of them.

"You want me to be happy but you never listened to me! You don’t know what I want! You don’t know what I feel!" Junhong unexpectedly screamed back at his mother, rendering Daehyun speechless in his place. Only a surprised gasp left his mouth.

Junhong aggressively stood up, almost knocking down his chair. But he didn't care about it. He just ran to his room without looking back.

As soon as the door slammed, Daehyun crumpled in his seat, bursting into tears. That's the first time Junhong had ever raised his voice at him. They never had a big fight like this nor had he ever been so angry at Junhong before. But what surprised him the most was Junhong's thoughts about him not living a normal life. It hurt Daehyun more than he could imagine. Did that mean Junhong was not happy? Did Junhong was sick of living like this? Daehyun shook his head while hiding his crying face in his hands.

Somehow, it reminded him of his father. Was this the payback he would get from hating and disobeying his father back then? He didn’t know how his father felt the moment he left the house but he knew how much it hurt when Junhong made him thought that he’s an irresponsible parent. He cried for so long that night. He only stopped when he fell asleep, praying for everything to be alright.

 

 

###

 

 

The morning came and it's time for school. Daehyun had already done making the breakfast but Junhong still didn't come out from his room. Just thinking about their argument last night caused Daehyun to let out a heavy sigh. Taking off his apron, he slowly went to knock on Junhong's door before pushing it open. Daehyun sighed again seeing a lump on the bed, fully covered with the blanket.

Of course Junhong was still sleeping. It would be him who would wake his son up every morning.

"Junhong-ah, wake up," Daehyun called as he sat on the side of the bed.

The boy shifted a bit but he didn't remove the blankets. Daehyun placed his hand on what he assumed as Junhong's back.

"Junhongie, it's time for school..."

"I don’t feel like going…" Came Junhong's muffled reply.

Daehyun felt the urge to cry again. Junhong never skipped school unless he's ill. Was he really serious about quitting school?

"I've made breakfast for you…" Daehyun said, trying hard not to break into tears in front of his son. "I'll go to work later… Make sure you eat it before it turned cold," He waited for Junhong's reply but it never came. With a quiet sigh, he got off the bed and left the room, shutting the door softly after throwing a final look at his son.

When he heard the front door was closed, Junhong emerged from under the blanket. His face was bloated and his eyes were swollen from all the crying he did last night. Maybe he wasn't as mad as before at his mother. He didn't even mean to yell at him. But he wanted to stay like this a little longer. He knew he would directly apologize to Daehyun as soon as he saw his face. That's why he didn't show himself just now.

He really didn't feel like going to school today. But he knew where he wanted to go. So he washed up and prepared himself before going to the kitchen to have his breakfast. Although it didn't seem right when he still ate his mother's cooking as they're having a fight, but he would never waste any food that came in his way. He shouldn't refuse a gift from god, that's what Daehyun told him.

Junhong boarded a public bus and in 30 minutes, he arrived at a place full of tall buildings. He casually entered one of them, making sure the hoodie he wore covered most of his face. Looking around for minute, he found his mother at the lobby of the company's building. He went to sit on a sofa to look at his mother at a safe distance, grabbing a newspaper for a better disguise.

Daehyun was wearing the cleaner's uniform, mopping the floor with the other cleaning tools in the trolley beside him. Every time sweats ran down his face, he would wipe them away with the towel hanging around his neck.

The workers were rushing into the building to start their work. They were so busy with phones and files in their hands that they treated Daehyun as invisible, not caring if there's a caution of wet floor or if they'd dirtied the spot Daehyun just cleaned.

Somehow Junhong felt angry. How could someone as great as his mother had to go through all of these things. Daehyun looked so tired and worn out. He didn't like to see Daehyun in this state. He wanted to tell the elder to go home and rest. This was why he wanted to quit school and work instead. He couldn't stand watching Daehyun like this anymore. He wanted to repay his mother for everything he had done to him.

When Daehyun was done, he pulled the trolley to Junhong's direction. The boy quickly put away the newspapers and left the place. He waited at the bus stop again before boarding another bus. This time, he's going to see Jongup at his workplace.

"Where's uncle?" Junhong asked once he saw the older boy was getting ready to open up the business. He came in through the back door as usual and followed Jongup to the upper floor before taking a seat near the counter.  The other workers were starting to arrive, saying hello to Junhong and proceeded to do their work.

"Out to buy us breakfast," Jongup retorted as he the computer at his table across the counter. "You skip school?" He asked even though he already knew the answer.

Junhong shrugged while jutting out his lip. His head rested on his folded arms on the counter. "I envy you. You don't have to be stuck in somewhere they thought you everything you don't give a about."

"Well, I would if I can actually understand what they're saying," He remarked. "But I can't. And this is what I'm good at," His hand gestured to everything around him. "Not like you. You're a genius."

Jongup finished his high school about a year ago but instead of going to college, he worked at his father's shop as a designer for their wooden products. His father was a self-employed carpenter and Jongup had the same interest as him since he was just a little kid. Maybe because he always followed his father to the shop back then, it had influenced him to follow his father's step. His skills in carpentry were excellent for someone of his age but he's also good in designing everything that the customers wanted. So he spent equal time in the office and the workshop.

Junhong groaned in irritation. "But I don't want to be a genius," He complained, making Jongup raised an eyebrow at him. "I want to work and earn money. I want to help eomma."

Resting his hands on his hips, Jongup shook his head while gazing at the younger like he's a helpless child. He made way to the counter and leveled his eyes with Junhong's. The other boy just stared at him in wonder.

"You know, money is not everything," Jongup began. "You can simply help your mother by making him happy."

They stared at each other for seconds before Jongup pulled a smile and ruffled Junhong's hair. He then left him to do his work.

Junhong pondered about Jongup's words. The older boy didn't speak much. So when he said something, Junhong would consider it as a serious matter. Never did he not listen to Jongup. So Jongup could probably be right.

 

 

###

 

 

As usual, Daehyun went to Yongguk's house that afternoon to prepare the lunch. He didn't stop by his house to cook something for his son since Jongup's mother had called him, saying that Junhong was having lunch with them.

He walked straight into the kitchen, wanting to see what's in the fridge first but a small yellow paper on the table caught his attention. His brows furrowed as he approached the table and without picking up the note, he read the message.

 

Dear sunshine,

I won't be home for lunch today :(

Lots of work to do T_T

I'm sorry that you have to eat alone >,<

But I found a scary looking ginger --->

I want you to kill it and dump it into chicken soup :D

 

Daehyun's heart leapt at the first two words. His whole body system reacted with the same feelings he had years ago. The scary looking ginger, according to Yongguk was next to the post-it note. It was indeed shaped like a human monster with two tiny holes as its glowering eyes and some scratching lines as its sharp teeth. Daehyun couldn't hold his laugh.

Yongguk had forced him to have the lunch together yesterday. The older man pushed him down onto a chair next to his even though he already told Yongguk that he would eat after Yongguk went back to work. But of course the master didn't listen to his housekeeper. At last, Daehyun just complied with Yongguk.

Their meeting after years of being apart made Daehyun thought about their past memories a lot more often now. And with this cute note, he found that Yongguk hadn't change a bit. Perhaps, nothing had really changed between them.

 

 

###

 

 

16 years ago

 

Their roles were changed. Daehyun was the one waiting for Yongguk right now. He would quickly go to the rooftop right after the school ended, only to find no one but a new note stuck on the wall. He didn’t touch those notes, he didn’t want those notes anymore. He just wanted to see Yongguk, so bad.

Thinking that waiting for the older boy after school wouldn’t work out, Daehyun decided to go to the rooftop during recess because Yongguk must’ve came some time here to put on the notes. And he was correct. Yongguk did appear in front of him five minutes after the recess bell rang.

Yongguk, with blank sticky notes in his hands and a pen tucked behind his ear, was dumbfounded as he looked at Daehyun standing before him.

"Where have you been? I've been waiting for ages," Daehyun asked flatly.

Yongguk seemed surprised. "But you're the one who didn't show up since that day. I thought you didn't want to see me anymore," He countered.

"It makes sense because of what you did."

Yongguk was tongue-tied at Daehyun’s remark. His head slowly lowered before he started to flip the colourful sticky notes.

"Aren't you a coward? How could you run away after kissing me?" Daehyun mocked in irritation.

Yongguk’s head jerked up to look at Daehyun again. "I didn't run away. I was just giving you some space and time."

"For what?"

"I don't know... Figure out your feelings?” Yongguk shrugged. “Hell, I was just as shocked at my own act," He said earnestly.

Daehyun bit his lip as he stared at the uneasy Yongguk. Although a little hesitant, he boldly stepped closer to the other until they’re just inches apart. He lifted his gaze to meet Yongguk’s. "Why did you kiss me?"

Yongguk’s heart wavered seeing the beautiful face so close to his. Those eyes which he admired so much were full of curiosity and hopes. "I thought you'd know by now…" He murmured in reply. His hands dropped the notes to caress Daehyun’s soft cheeks.

Daehyun leaned into the tender touch. His hands instinctively reached up, grasping Yongguk’s larger ones. His eyes fell onto Yongguk’s lips for a short time and backed to stare into Yongguk’s eyes. "Then kiss me again and don't run away."

And so, without wasting any time, Yongguk attached their lips together. He could finally taste those soft luscious lips again after dreaming it countless times in his sleep since the day he stole a kiss from Daehyun. But this moment was way better than anything he had ever dreamt of, moreover when the younger was returning the same feelings as his.

Daehyun just let Yongguk claimed his lips. It's warm and impassioned, he could stay like that forever. Yongguk made him feel something that he never did before. Although he felt wrong doing this behind Seunghyun's back, he really wished for Yongguk to show him more. He wanted to experience more of the times when his body went warmer, his stomach having thousands of butterflies and his heart fluttered in his chest; a time like this moment.

"What have you done to me? Why can't I get you out of my mind?" Daehyun whispered in short breaths after they broke apart.

Yongguk chuckled, still caressing Daehyun's cheeks with his thumbs. "Funny, 'cause you did the same thing to me since the first time we met."

Daehyun's eyes lingered all over Yongguk's face. It's the face of the person he longed to see everyday. Why? Maybe he had the answer right now. "I think I love you."

Yongguk's smile grew wider. "You think or you do love me?"

Daehyun burst into laughter, showing his straight white teeth and crescent eyes. "I do love you," He nodded eagerly. "I really do love you, Yongguk."

The said man almost couldn't form any words in return. That very second, Daehyun managed to make him fell even harder.

Yongguk chuckled, taking great delight in being the reason of Daehyun's smile. "I really do love you too," He captured Daehyun's lips in his again, their teeth clashing against each other when they couldn't keep their smiles off their faces.

Their very own love story had begun.

 

 

###

 

 

I won't give up on us

Even if the skies get rough

I'm giving you all my love

I'm still looking up

 

And when you're needing your space

To do some navigating

I'll be here patiently waiting

To see what you find

 

'Cause even the stars they burn

Some even fall to the earth

We've got a lot to learn

God knows we're worth it

No, I won't give up

 

 

Song : I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz


 

A/N:

Because I love drama too much >.<

Thank you very much to upvoters, subscribers, commentors and readers!! Saranghae ^3^