Chapter 1

Sunshine

 

 

 

“I missed him. And I still love him. I couldn’t get him out of my mind. I’m trapped in the memories of us.”

– Yongguk –

 

 


 

 

                He didn’t know what he had done. He was just being himself, a poor orphan boy, without causing any problem to anyone. He didn’t understand why would these guys beat him up every time they accidentally met.

                Another blow hit his face, his back slammed to the lockers. There weren’t many students as they had probably gone home since the school had ended. He shouldn’t have stayed back to ask the teacher about the lessons because now he really got himself into trouble.

                A punch to his stomach made his body curled, sliding down onto the floor. He never fought back. He knew he could never win against the five of them, those rich boys who could only be proud of their parents’ money and treating him like a trash.

                “Take that too, dumb,” The guy spat. He hated him the most.

                “Hyung!” A soft but shocked voice called. All of them including him turned to the direction where it was coming from.

                A junior, he thought, hurried towards the guy who had last hit him.

                “What are you doing?!” The junior yelled as he pulled the guy away from him. The guy just shrugged before laughing with his friends.

                He was still on the floor, clutching to his painful stomach when the junior turned to him, face worried and guilty.

                “Are you okay?” The junior asked. It was hard to believe that he actually cared about him. The younger boy tried to approach him but before he could do that, the guy grabbed his arm. The small body stumbled back and it was caught by the guy wrapping an arm around the slender waist.

 

                “Daehyun.”

 

                The junior looked up at the taller guy.

                “Don’t mind him. Let’s go home,” The guy said, bringing the younger away from there, followed by the other bullies.

                But then he saw the junior turned his head, sending him an apologizing look with big liquid eyes which made him seemed too innocent to be engaged with those delinquents. He felt himself drawn into those beautiful eyes, wishing he could see them again for one more time.

 

 

 

 

 

                Yongguk’s eyes snapped open. It’s Sunday and he didn’t set any alarm to wake up. But because of the dream he had, he was now wide awake. Rubbing his face a couple of times, he thought about that dream, about that boy.

 

                Daehyun.

 

                That name made his heart clenched, sometimes too painfully. He would have gone to the doctor to make it stop if they really had a medicine for it. He didn’t know why he had always dreamed about him lately. Was he thinking about that boy too much? A thing for sure, the boy was not a young junior anymore when sixteen years had passed. Yongguk wondered how he was doing right now.

                He made his way down to the kitchen, pouring a glass of water for his dry throat. He was confused. That person never appeared in his dream this often. Though he admitted, he still loved him even after a long time. He tried to forget him, to erase everything about him in his life. However, his love towards him never faded, only to grow more and more in every second of his longing. He had rejected every single person whom his parents were trying to get him married with, just because his heart belonged to someone else.

                Yongguk looked around the kitchen as he leaned against the countertop. The sink was full of dirty plates. The table was a mess. That didn’t count the living room and his bedroom. He really didn’t have time to take care of his house. He didn’t even have time to eat properly as his work always kept him busy, moreover when he needed to take over his adoptive father’s business after the old man had passed away because of a heart failure. Maybe he should hire someone to clean the house for him.

 

 

###

 

 

                Daehyun sighed for the umpteenth time today. He just got home from the early shift as a cleaner at a company building. He was supposed to go to the restaurant where he’s working as a waiter right now but bad news, he was fired because the owner wanted to cut down the employees.

                He didn’t blame the owner. He knew he deserved it. He always came late because of the other works he got and also because he had to manage his home and his son at the same time.

                The house was silent. Daehyun knew Junhong must be dragging his sleep since he had no school today. He went to the boy’s room just to check on him.

                “Junghong-ah…” When he didn’t get any answer after a few knocks, Daehyun pushed the unlocked door and went in.

                His lips immediately carved a smile seeing his son sprawled on the bed, books and papers scattering around the boy. Junhong must have been studying until late at night. That’s why he always got good grades at school and it made Daehyun so proud of him.

                Daehyun gathered all those books before arranging them on the table. Junhong would definitely get irritated with him later on because he said that Daehyun shouldn’t bother to clean his room. His eomma should get some rest whenever he could.

                Daehyun smiled again as he thought about that. While he was placing the books nicely on the table, his eyes caught the calendar on the wall. That’s right. Junhong’s birthday was coming. The boy had circled the 15th day of October which was in the next three months. That meant he needed to prepare a present for his son.

                Maybe for anyone else, three months were a long time but for him, they’re just enough time to save some money and buy a birthday gift for his son. Daehyun was planning on giving a phone to Junhong. Compared to before, he could only give things like shirts, shoes and books since he was short of money. But Junhong was almost fifteen now. Every other kid at his age should at least have a phone. Although Junhong had said many times he didn’t need it, still, Daehyun wanted his son to be like a kid around his age that he was supposed to be.

                That sure needed lots of money. He also had to take into account the monthly expenses. They would starve if he didn’t find another job soon because the one and only current job would never be enough for their living. Daehyun knew it must be hard. He didn’t even finish his high school to apply for a better job. It’s okay, though. He was used to this, switching jobs every once in a while. Just name any part time jobs out there, Daehyun had done them all. Being fired and had to find another job were small matters for him. He had been through a lot more than those while raising his son.

                “Eomma…?”

                Daehyun turned to hoarse voice, taking in the cute sight of the boy rubbing his sleepy eyes. “Good afternoon, honey,” He sat on the bed, leaning down to kiss Junhong’s forehead.

                “Don’t you go to work?” Junhong asked, his eyes squinted to the newfound brightness.

                Daehyun nibbled his bottom lip, making something up in his mind. Junhong didn’t have to know that he was fired or he would be extremely worried about it. He gave a quick reply, afraid if his son noticed anything. “No, I got a day off.”

    “Really…?” Junhong doubted, narrowing his eyes at his mother.

                Daehyun eagerly nodded his head, trying to reassure the boy. But he guessed it was better to change the topic. “You can sleep more if you want to,” He caressed Junhong’s head tenderly, running his fingers through the soft hair. “I’m going to make the lunch. I’ll wake you up when it’s ready.”

                Junhong hummed in content. He loved to be pampered by Daehyun. “I’m not hungry. And you should rest during a day off. Come here, eomma.”

                Before Daehyun could say anything, he was pulled to lie on the bed. Junhong immediately cuddled him, making his arm as the pillow. He chuckled before throwing another arm around the big boy. After kissing his son’s head for one more time, he gradually drifted into a pleasant slumber.

 

 

###

 

 

                The next day, Daehyun went to the company as usual. He was working hard on sweeping the floor, mopping the stains and cleaning the toilets. His coworkers, in which most of them were a lot older than him, often giving him compliments, saying that he never complained while doing his job. At least for a young man like him. Daehyun didn’t know why he should complain. All he did was being grateful.

                Halfway before the end of his shift, Daehyun went to the changing room to take a rest. Sitting on a bench against the wall, he took out a food container from his backpack. His grumbling stomach was telling him to eat his brunch for today. That’s when one of his fellow coworker came in before taking a seat beside him.

                “You look tired,” The older man said, patting on Daehyun’s thigh.

                Daehyun turned to the man with a small smile. He’s the one Daehyun was closed to, Mr. Byun. “I do?”

                “Yeah. Anything wrong?” The man asked in concern, reminding Daehyun of his own father.

                “Nothing, ahjussi…” Daehyun shook his head. “Maybe I was thinking too much.” He stretched out his hand holding the container, offering some of his food to the elder.

                “About what?” Byun asked before shoving a spoonful of the fried rice into his mouth. Nobody could resist Daehyun’s delicious cooking.

                The younger pouted. This childish side only appeared with the ones older and closed to him. “I need to find another job…”

                The latter gasped. “You won’t be working here anymore?”

                Daehyun slowly shook his head. “No, not here. But the restaurant…” The food container was brought back down onto his lap.

                The elder turned silent. His eyes glued to the floor, his forehead wrinkled as he frowned. Daehyun just stared at him. He didn’t like it when other people worried about him. He was about to tell Byun that it was okay but then got startled by the man’s sudden raised voice.

                “Oh! Actually, my wife told me something last night,” Byun was excited while Daehyun just blinked at him. “Since she’s working as a housekeeper at this house, the owner of the house asked her if she knows anybody who wants a job as a housekeeper too. It’s for her son. They’re living separately.”

                Daehyun’s eyes widened. “Really? A housekeeper?” Maybe there was a job he hadn’t tried in his life. Being a housekeeper had never crossed his mind.

                The older man nodded and quickly added after seeing the hesitation in Daehyun. “But all you need to do, clean the house and make dinner. You can go home after that.”

                “Really? Just those?” Daehyun was beginning to get interested, knowing that he wouldn’t have to stay at the house, working 24 hours a day. He had a son to be taken care of in his own home.

                “Yeah. I think you should give it a try. The salary is pretty good too.”

                He could feel it in his veins; the start of something new in his life.

 

 

###

 

 

                Daehyun wasn’t thinking much. He needed another job so bad. He’s afraid if he took a long time to consider about it, he would miss the chance. So, right after he talked to his coworker, he agreed and the older man told it to his wife. People said the first choice was always the best.

                He didn’t have to meet Mrs. Park because she had lent the task fully on her househousekeeper, Mrs. Byun. Daehyun had asked her to give him the address to the house of the madam’s son and they would meet there but Mrs. Byun insisted to pick him up by a taxi.

                “Is he home right now?” Daehyun asked on the way there.

                “I think he is. Madam Park said that her son will wait for us to come before going to work. But that man is unpredictable,” Mrs. Byun retorted. “And you can’t call him like he’s one of your friends. It’s supposed to be ‘young master’, but considering his age which is not so young anymore, and I don’t think he will like it that much, you can just call him by his name.”

                “So he’s old but he isn’t married yet?” Daehyun started to be curious about his new employer.

                Mrs. Byun clicked her tongue. “He may be not that young, but he’s also not that old,” She felt like scolding her own son. “And yes, he isn’t married yet. Don’t you think of taking a chance on him.”

                Daehyun’s lips formed a pout. “You know I won’t. I was just asking…”

                Seeing the adorable sulking face of Daehyun, her gaze softened. She sighed before putting a hand on the young man’s shoulder. “It’s not that I don’t want you to get married. I really want you to find someone and start a new happy life with your son. But not him, not other rich people out there. Their standards are too far from our reach.”

                What she said was true. But truthfully, Daehyun never had a thought of getting married. His life with Junhong was perfect in every way. He pressed his lips together, carving a thin smile. “What’s his name?”

 

                “Bang Yongguk.”

 

                His whole body tensed. Every hair on his limbs stood upright. The air around him suddenly felt ridiculously cold. He hadn’t heard that name for so long. All of their memories together came crashing and flooded his mind.

 

                No… That’s not him… That can’t be him…

 

                Part of him wanted to believe himself and went on with the initial plan but another part of him just wanted to stop the taxi and ran home.

                Why did the first choice always win?

                He wanted to ask so many questions to Mrs. Byun. What does this Bang Yongguk do? What does he look like? Is he the same person he knew back then? Isn’t the surname supposed to be Park and not Bang? Nonetheless, his tongue was tied inside his mouth. He regretted not asking about this important thing earlier.

                “We’re here,” Mrs. Byun said and Daehyun pulled a deep breath to calm himself.

                Both of them got off the taxi before walking past the gate. Daehyun’s eyes roamed his surroundings. The house in front of him was not a mansion, but it seemed like one. It was huge, the yard was large. Everything looked so luxurious from his point of view. He was uncomfortable, feeling like he didn’t deserve to be there.

                The moment they reached the front door, Daehyun’s heart was pounding, his breaths became quick and short. Mrs. Byun pressed the bell and all he could do now was praying to God that everything would be alright.

 

 

###

 

 

                Yongguk was resting on the couch after he had done cleaning the house. At first, he realized he shouldn’t be doing that because it’s actually the housekeeper’s job. The guy, according to his mother, was supposed to come in any minute now. But since he got nothing to do while waiting, he decided to give a good first impression to his one and only househousekeeper. Also, the chores helped him to get Daehyun out of his mind, although it’s just for a while.

                He really wanted to meet Daehyun again but he wasn’t sure if he’s ready for it. Just having a thought of the other gave him so much pain, he wondered how would it be if they actually met. What would he do then?

                The sound of doorbell broke his trance. He didn’t know why but his chest tightened all of a sudden. He frowned. Was he being nervous because of the new housekeeper? Yongguk shook his head, standing up and strode to the entrance. He forced himself to swallow the lump in his throat and opened the door.

 

                He should’ve known it. The reason was standing right before him.

 

                Daehyun…

 

 

###

 

 

You came to me like a dream, you only left behind a goodbye

I’m just thankful that I met you in my life

 

Back then, back then

After I let you go

I spent countless nights in tears

 

Please appear before me over the destiny

Come back to me, the fool who couldn’t tell you about my longing

 

Please appear before me over the destiny

So I can fill myself with you, who might get forgotten

Come back to me like the warm spring sunlight, like it’s the first time

 

 

 

Song : Over The Destiny by 2AM


 

Thanks to my beloved friend who helped me to choose the song ^^

More of their past will be on the next chaps :)

Thank you so much to all the upvoters, subscribers, readers and commentors! Saranghae <3<3<3