Chapter 13

Sunshine

 

 

 

"The greatest thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

 

 


 

Present time

 

                Junhong was taking his time walking home from school. Since Yongguk was frequently coming to his apartment to see his mother lately, he had purposely given those two some time alone with each other. Though he hadn’t yet seen any inappropriate things when he got home and neither Yongguk nor Daehyun had any flustered look on their faces as they greeted him from the living room, sitting at a normal distance on the couch, he knew better how his mother and that old man would enjoy their time together without him around.

                So sometimes, he was confused. First, he wanted to be a sensible guy towards the lovers by staying out of their private time but on a second thought, he felt like running home as fast as he could so that Yongguk wouldn’t even have the time to touch his mother’s hand. Just thinking about that made him irritated as hell.

                Junhong arrived at his apartment like he usually would, only five to ten minutes later. He opened the door and the familiar loafer shoes arranged neatly on the floor next to his mother’s caused him to groan quietly.

                “Welcome home, Junhong!”

                The boy looked up to the owner of the deep awful cheery voice. Yongguk was watching the news in the living room but he was still grinning widely at him right now. As he moved closer to the couch, he spotted his mother in the kitchen, also watching the news while sitting at the dining table with a glass of orange juice.

                “Are you going to be here like everyday?” Junhong asked Yongguk, taking off his jacket before putting it down beside the couch together with his backpack.

                Yongguk shrugged his shoulders. “Only if you allow me.”

                Junhong rolled his eyes. He then went to his mother to get a welcome back kiss on the cheek. He casually took a sip of Daehyun’s juice as he looked around the clean empty kitchen where the dinner was supposed to be.

                “So…are we going to have dinner or we’re food rationing again?” Junhong wondered, raising his brow at his mother.

                It only brought sadness to Daehyun. He would always tell his son if they were going to ration the food before, when there’s barely any money left in his pocket. His heart felt so heavy to do that because they would eat only once a day. But Junhong never complained. The boy understood their situation very well even as a kid.

                Daehyun smiled, shaking his head. “No. Yongguk-ssi has another plan.”

                Upon hearing his name, the said man turned around to them, sending the same broad smile to Junhong. “We’ll have dinner at my place.”

 

 

 

                For the first time in his life, Junhong got to ride an expensive car like Yongguk’s. And he got to sit at the front because of his long legs. Daehyun thought it would be more comfortable for him compared to the backseat though Junhong was sure there’s not much difference in those cozy leather seats.

                There’s only one thing he was not really comfortable with in the car. Sitting together with Yongguk at the front had resulted in never-ending questions about his school, his grades, his friends and his future plans; questions that a father would ask.

                But Junhong answered it halfheartedly as he was busy scrutinizing all the modern technologies in the car, pushing all the buttons on the dashboard like a kid and the owner wasn’t the tiniest bit mad at him. Yongguk was actually very amused with the curious boy and also with Daehyun endlessly scolding his son from the back.

                Junhong was not even done being amazed with the car when the sight of a huge luxurious bungalow came into view. His jaw literally dropped, looking in awe at the automatic gate opening for Yongguk’s BMW to get through.

                Yongguk stopped at the driveway and unbuckled his seatbelt. “You can close your mouth now,” He teased before laughing at the stunned boy.

                Junhong snapped back to himself. He glared at Yongguk who was getting out of the car even if the old man wasn’t aware of it. But then he heard his mother chuckling at the back, which made him more annoyed that he already was.

                As soon as they entered the house, Daehyun went straight to the kitchen, leaving Junhong at the entrance, being dazed for the third time with the lavish interior. His eyes were wide as they scanned around the first floor.

                Yongguk suddenly appeared behind him, patting him on the shoulder. “So you can have a look around…oh wait, I need to show you where you’d be staying tonight,” He said eagerly.

                That surprised Junhong and he jerked away from Yongguk’s hold. “I’m staying?!”

                “Why not? You don’t have school tomorrow,” Yongguk replied nonchalantly before stepping towards the stairs. “Come on!”

                Junhong huffed. He followed the man upstairs, walking through the long and wide corridor, passing a number of doors until they stopped in front of one. Yongguk excitedly opened the door for the boy and urged him to get in.

                “Take a look,” Yongguk prompted from the doorway. “I specially made this room for you.”

                Junhong scoffed at that but truthfully, the room was everything he had ever wished for. It was a really spacious room, maybe ten times larger than his tiny bedroom at the apartment. It had a theme of blue, gray, black and white. The windows almost covered a whole wall and they got motorized shades. The double sized bed looked so warm and fluffy and there was a complete set of media system across it; a TV, speakers and a DVD player. The large study desk was set against the other wall with a computer on the side.

                Junhong felt like crying. He liked that room. He really, really liked it.

                “I’ve prepared this room since last week and I finally got to have you here,” Yongguk explained, stepping next to the boy. Only then he noticed the sparkling eyes of the boy. He smirked. “You can move in here if I marry your mother,” He suggestively spoke.

                Junhong gasped, turning to scowl at the older man. “Is this for bribing me?!”

                Yongguk let out a nervous awkward laugh. “No! Of course not!”

 

 

###

 

 

                When Daehyun got out of the shower later that night, he saw Yongguk sitting at the corner of his room, looking at his phone with a deep frown on his face. Daehyun was sure it was all about Yongguk’s work since the man had barely showed up at the company for the past week. Yongguk would only go if he was confirmed that his mother wasn’t there or he would find any possible reason to get away if he ran into her.

                “Worrying about work again?” Daehyun softly asked from the center of the bedroom.

                Yongguk looked up and almost choked at the sight of steamy Daehyun in a bathrobe and wet hair. “I’m…not…?”

                Daehyun sighed. “Why didn’t you just make up with your mother? I know how much you love your job,” He said while drying off his hair with a towel.

                Yongguk stared at Daehyun without saying anything. His eyes admired the younger man from head to toe. A smile tugged on his lips. He put his phone aside before raising up to approach the latter. When he was standing in front of Daehyun, he stopped Daehyun’s hands from rubbing his hair and brought them down, leaving the towel hanging on his head. Daehyun looked at him in wonder.

                “How could you say I love my job?” Yongguk deadpanned.

                Daehyun’s eyebrows knitted together. “Well…” He paused to think of the right words to use because Yongguk’s face was so serious right now. “You’re always on time when you’re going to work. And when you came home, you never complained about it. You always work so hard, sometimes even at home, but you don’t seem to be stressed over it. Maybe you thought that you’re doing this for your late father, but I think you’re enjoying it.”

                Yongguk’s lips curved upwards. His gaze dropped to their joined hands. His thumb kept rubbing the back of Daehyun’s hands and he kept being like that for quite a while. It made Daehyun stared at the older man in confusion. But when Yongguk lifted his head again, Daehyun was more than amused to see red dusting his cheek.

                “You always knew what to say to make my heart flutters,” Yongguk sounded like he was whining rather than complaining.

                Daehyun chuckled. “I didn’t mean to,” He caressed the side of Yongguk’s face.

                Yongguk smiled before leaning in to kiss his lover. Daehyun slid his free hand around Yongguk’s neck, tilting his head slightly for a better angle and the towel fell from his head because of that. Yongguk took the gesture as a pass for him to enter Daehyun’s mouth. His tongue roamed in the wet cavern while his hands were busy travelling Daehyun’s back.

                It was an obvious sign to what they were going to do next. Everything should go real smooth and pleasurable, if only there wasn’t a knock on their door.

                Daehyun gasped, breaking apart their connected mouth. His eyes were wide as he looked at his lover. “It’s Junhong!” He whispered. “I’m in a bathrobe!” He clutched anxiously at the cloth on his thighs. “I can’t be seen wearing only a bathrobe in your room!”

                “Calm down!” Yongguk whispered back when Daehyun began to panic. “I’ve bought something for you to wear. It’s on the bed,” He gestured to a paper bag placed nicely on the edge of his bed.

                Daehyun wasted to time rushing to it and get dressed. In the meantime, Yongguk went to open the door. The expected guest had a smug look on his face.

                “I need to talk to my mother,” Junhong stated firmly.

                Yongguk narrowed his eyes at the boy. “Of course you do…”

 

 

 

                A moment later, Daehyun too was gawking at everything Junhong’s room had. Yongguk never told him about it and this was the first time he had seen the room specially made for his son. No wonder Yongguk was so eager asking both of them to have dinner here.

                “I can’t believe he did all of this to you,” Daehyun muttered after sitting down beside the boy on the soft bed sheet.

                “With a hidden motive that is,” Junhong mumbled grumpily.

                Daehyun obviously didn’t hear that. “Did you thank him for what he’s done? He even bought matching pj’s for us,” He said, holding to the hem of his son’s blue pajama. His was white while Yongguk’s was black.

                Junhong almost rolled his eyes at his mother. “Eomma, I asked for you here is not because I wanted to talk about him.”

                “Oh, okay,” Daehyun suddenly remembered that his son initially wanted to talk to him. Now that he was aware of how annoyed the boy looked, he stopped looking around the room and started to give full attention to him. “What do you want to talk about?”

                “This…thing…happened two days ago… But Yongguk-ssi was at our apartment at most times, or with you specifically, I’ve got no time to tell you about it. I didn’t mean to disturbed you just now, but this is a big thing for me and I really have to tell you about it,” Junhong admitted. He had tried so hard to not talk to his mother about this when Yongguk was around that he almost said it during their dinner earlier.

               “You didn’t disturb anything, Junhong. You’re my son and you have every right to have me for a talk. Just ask for me and I’ll listen to you, okay?” Daehyun informed worriedly because he didn’t want the same thing to happen again and they would have another fight as a result.

               Junhong nodded, casting his gaze down at his lap.

               “So what is it?” Daehyun asked curiously.

               For a moment, Junhong just kept quiet before he deliberately exhaled. “Two days ago, I went out with Jongup…and…” He didn’t lift his head but glanced at his mother through his eyelashes, just to see how the older man would react after this. “…He kinda kissed me…”

                Daehyun gasped loudly at the news with a hand covering his mouth. He didn’t look displeased but he was indeed surprised. Leaning closer to his son, he started to show his interest, asking the boy with large eyes. “And then what?”

                Junhong suddenly felt the heat rushing up to his face. He bit his lips just to make sure he wasn’t smiling too hard. “Well…”

                Daehyun was dying to know seeing his son acting like that. He moved closer and grabbed the boy’s hand. “Did he say he likes you?”

                Junhong was so embarrassed that he had to cover his red face using his free hand. But then he slowly nodded his head.

                “Ahhh!!!” Daehyun shrieked out of excitement before pulling his on into a hug.

                That’s when the door of the room was suddenly pushed open. Yongguk hastily barged in. “What’s going on?” He asked in concern.

                As Junhong was still too red faced to say anything, Daehyun was quick to pull away from the hug and told the other man. “Jongup likes Junhong!”

                Yongguk frowned. “Who’s Jongup?”

 

 

###

 

 

                One thing led to another so two days later, Yongguk was driving both of Daehyun and Junhong to meet Jongup’s family. Daehyun was sitting at the front this time since Junhong said it would be easier for him to talk to Yongguk. Junhong was true because they talked all the time and he was just listening passively at the back.

                “So this Lee Donghae-ssi you’re talking about was once your tutor?” Yongguk asked.

                “When I was still in high school,” Daehyun replied. “He’s already married that time and his son, Jongup was still a little boy. Since he came to my house four times a week to teach me, I grew close to him. He’s like a brother to me.”

                “That’s why you went to find him when you ran away from home,” Yongguk stated rather than questioning it.

                Daehyun nodded, forgetting that his son was at the back and the boy could hear everything they talked about. “Donghae hyung helped me a lot back then. He still cares for me until now. And Hyukjae hyung too has done so much for me.” His voice was low as he stared at his lap, reminiscing about his bitter past.

                Yongguk took a glimpse at his lover. Daehyun’s dim expression made him wanted to pull the younger man into a hug. But he was driving now so all he could do was placing his hand over the smaller one, squeezing it in reassurance. “I can’t wait to meet them. I have to thank them for taking care of my sunshine.”

                Daehyun blushed slightly. “Yeah, I don’t know what I’d do without them. That’s why I’m really grateful for them, especially Donghae hyung. He’s my favourite hyung of all time,” He said that with a bright smile while looking at the older man.

                Yongguk was unseemly tinged with jealousy. “Your favourite hyung is not me?”

                Daehyun’s smile faded. He began to feel agitated because he didn’t really know if the latter was joking or not. Yongguk always wore the same straight expression like he really meant it when actually he was tricking him. And Daehyun still didn’t know how to read his face until now.

                “No… You’re my favourite hyung too,” Daehyun murmured, his face growing red.

                “What? Who’s your favourite hyung?” Yongguk playfully asked again.

                Daehyun’s face was flushed. He was suddenly getting shy in front of his lover since Yongguk was making him admitting unnecessary things like that. He was having a hard time to give an answer but when he was ready to say it, loud coughs sounded from the backseat.

                As in reflex, Daehyun pulled his hand from Yongguk’s. He was so embarrassed and wanted to slap himself for forgetting his son’s existence in the same car. Crossing his arms against his chest, Daehyun slightly turned in his seat and looked out of the window.

                Yongguk was of course unhappy when he lost the warmth of Daehyun’s hand in his. He actually didn’t have any intention to flirt with Daehyun in front of his son. It’s because Junhong was so quiet at the back that he totally forgot about him. He turned to the back for a short time to see the boy who was sitting behind his mother’s seat.

                Junhong was clearly enjoying the situation he had caused, having a suppressed smile on his face. When Yongguk turned to the front again, he couldn’t help to pull a smile too. Daehyun’s reaction was too adorable. And Junhong’s mischief made him shook his head in amusement.

 

 

 

                “He’s a good looking man,” Donghae whispered to Daehyun next to him while his eyes were fixed to Yongguk sitting across them. His husband was having a casual conversation with the new acquaintance.

                Daehyun did nothing but blushed at that compliment which was not even directed to him. He was glad that Yongguk could get along with the Lee family even though Yongguk acted like he couldn’t contain his jealousy towards them before. And Donghae was the happiest person when he introduced Yongguk as his lover.

                “Does he treat you nicely?” Donghae asked in low tones.

                Daehyun nodded confidently at the other man. “Very.”

                “You must be so lucky to have him.”

                Daehyun glanced at the said man before staring deeply at the smiling face of the love of his life. He’s so perfect in his eyes that he sometimes couldn’t believe Yongguk was his lover. Also, the fact that he was given a second chance to be in the relationship that was formed years ago was something he could ever dream of.

                “I am…” Daehyun admitted thoughtfully because, lucky? He never considered himself as a lucky person. The last time he was told something like that was when Yongguk kissed him for the first time. If he was really lucky right now, maybe it was all because of Yongguk. Yongguk made him such a lucky poor man.

                His eyes were still lingering on Yongguk when the older man suddenly connected their gazes. It should be fine for Daehyun but he somehow he couldn’t hold it long enough. He quickly looked at somewhere else, fully aware of his crimsoned face.

                Yongguk purposely cleared his throat. “Why does Junhong take so long?” He asked in general. Junhong was supposed to go upstairs and call Jongup down but it seemed that the simple task took more than ten minutes to be done.

                “Maybe Jongup’s still taking a shower,” Hyukjae retorted.

                Right on cue, the awaited boy descended the stairs together with the other. They walked slowly towards the elders while speaking to each other in hushed tones.

                “They look so good together,” Donghae remarked quietly at Daehyun.

                “I know. So cute,” Daehyun whispered back with slight giggles.

                Jongup went straight to Daehyun first to give him a greeting hug before going to Yongguk to introduce himself. They shook hands and claimed a seat next to his father. Junhong who was watching from his mother side thought that their positions looked like an employer interviewing a college graduate and he knew how nervous Jongup was to meet Yongguk.

                “So you’re Jongup? I heard you like Junhong,” Yongguk uttered frankly.

                Junhong immediately face palmed while shaking his head. Hyukjae on the other hand was suppressing his laugh whereas Donghae looked so entertained with Yongguk’s randomness. Daehyun knew this would happen. He was so embarrassed right now that he couldn’t watch the scene.

                Jongup’s face reddened. He was not really sure on how to respond to that so he just nodded his head with a sheepish smile.

                “Do you have enough money to support him?” Yongguk’s face was all serious that he didn’t show any hint whether he was playing around or not. And that made Jongup even more agitated that he already was.

                The boy suddenly felt a lump in his throat. He wanted to take a drink from the table in front of him but he thought that it was not the right time to do it. Instead Jongup just kept his awkward smile while scratching his head. He couldn’t seem to say a word, afraid if it wouldn’t be coherent.

                “He actually works with me,” Hyukjae chimed in when he saw his son was about to piss in his pants.

                “I see…” Yongguk nodded. “Good. Do you even think of marrying him?”

                Daehyun rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Yongguk hyung, stop that,” He warned and Yongguk turned to him. Daehyun sent a shallow glare but Yongguk just shrugged his shoulders.

                Donghae chuckled, seeing his husband patting the back of his flabbergasted son. As for Junhong, he didn’t know whether he should get mad at Yongguk for dramatically acting like his father, or thank Yongguk for everything he had done for making the ever so calm Jongup to look so anxious and shy. Nonetheless, he was just fine about this.

 

 

###

 

 

                “We missed the sunset,” Yongguk groaned in regret. He had tried to get to the beach as fast as possible just to be able to see the sunset with Daehyun again.

                Daehyun grabbed Yongguk’s hand away from the steering wheel. “It’s okay,” He smiled radiantly. “We still can have a walk along the beach.”

                Yongguk too pulled a complying smile before heaving a deep breath. “You’re right. Let’s go,” He got out from the car and quickly went to the other side. Daehyun had already come out and was standing by the door. Yongguk held his hand out to take Daehyun’s smaller one in his grip.

                Though the sky had turned dark, there were still some people strolling on the sand. It was just the both of them going to the beach. Junhong stayed at the Lee’s house because the boy wanted to go out with his boyfriend later and Jongup would send him back to them at night.

                Daehyun halted their steps right after he set his feet on the sandy land. He took of his shoes and Yongguk copied his act.

                “You want to dip your feet in the water?” Yongguk asked.

                “Sure,” Daehyun nodded, still having the same broad smile plastered in his face.

                Yongguk released Daehyun’s hand before kneeling down in front of the younger. He then began to roll up Daehyun’s pants. Daehyun fondly looked down to the older man. Just seeing the top of his head could give him butterflies. How could he be so lucky to have this man as his lover?

                When the pants reached Daehyun’s knees, Yongguk did the same thing to himself before standing up, picking up his shoes at the same time and linked their hands again.

                “Is that okay?” Yongguk asked, referring to the rolled pants.

                Daehyun nodded. “Thank you.”

                Yongguk didn’t reply but tapped his cheek instead. Daehyun jutted out his bottom lip in fake annoyance although he kissed that spot anyway after that. And Yongguk returned that with a harder one on both of Daehyun’s cheeks, causing Daehyun to laugh bashfully.

                They started walking along the beach, letting their feet being washed by the calm waves. Their fingers intertwined with each other. Yongguk had his gaze fixed on the shorter man. Even without the sun shining on him, Daehyun still had the glow around him because of the bright moonlight and he was still the most beautiful person Yongguk had ever laid his eyes on.

                Daehyun was holding his hand tightly, the beaming smile never left his face as he observed the wet sand seeping in between his toes, turning into foot prints trailing one after another behind him. When he looked up at Yongguk, the older man was already staring at him. And his smile grew wider.

               Yongguk arched an eyebrow at the younger man. “What?”

               Daehyun shook his head at first, as if he was not telling Yongguk about it. But Yongguk was giving him a weird look and his cheeks started to hurt after too much of smiling alone. “You seem like a protective father just now, interrogating his son-in-law to be,” He told him in a happy squeal.

                Yongguk bit his lips which were stretching into a smile. He turned away from Daehyun, feeling shy all of a sudden. “You know I’ve always treated Junhong like my own son. Of course I don’t want him to choose the wrong man,” He reasoned steadily.

                Those words somehow caused certain warmth flowing in Daehyun’s chest. To hear that from his lover showed him how genuine Yongguk really care about his son. He bet that Junhong would be really happy too if he heard it on his own.

                “I think you’d make a great father to Junhong,” Daehyun sincerely uttered.

                Yongguk instantly whipped his head to look at his lover, stopping their walk all along. He stared deeply into Daehyun’s eyes but the latter returned a confused look to him. Yongguk then averted his gaze downwards.

                “I think that’s my cue…” He said under his breath.

                “Huh?” Daehyun didn’t hear that.

                Yongguk quickly shook his head. “Nothing,” He started to walk again, pulling Daehyun’s hand to follow him.

                “You said something just now,” Daehyun insisted.

                Yongguk stopped his steps once more. His eyes lingered on Daehyun’s face for a while. The younger began to feel self-conscious, his brows knitted together while the heat was creeping up to his cheeks. That’s when Yongguk decided to press his lips against Daehyun’s in a long silent kiss.

                Daehyun closed his eyes to savour the warmth of Yongguk’s mouth with his. His free hand wandered up to the broad chest, slightly pinching Yongguk’s shirt when his sweet spot was caressed.

                “I love you,” Yongguk muttered after they pulled apart.

                Daehyun smiled, liking the way Yongguk’s nose nudged his own. “I love you too.”

 

 

###

 

 

Because you’re my first, because this song is about you

I’m smiling like this, so only you can see

Are you looking at me right now?

I have a new dream, it’s to become a better man

 

Because your eyes that look at me

Make me run once again more than anything else

So lucky, my love

So lucky to have you

So lucky to be your love, I am

 

Song : Lucky by EXO-K


 

A/N :

Finally!! An update! Forgive me for making this so late. It's new year already ^^'

Thank you to all upvoters, subscribers and comments! ♥♥♥