Epilogue

Sunshine

 

 

 

15 years later

 

                Junhong got out of his car and observed his surroundings. As always, he was the first one to arrive at the kindergarten. If he was to compare himself with the other parents, he would probably be the busiest among them. But regardless of that, he didn’t like to be late, he didn’t like to keep his daughter waiting and he didn’t like to send a driver to pick his daughter up.

                He leaned against the car, waiting for the clock to tick for another ten minutes before the kids would be released. He looked to the left and right, the idle street was calm and peaceful. He wondered where was everyone else when they should be here already at this time. But then he heard someone squeaked.

                Junhong noticed there was a man, walking towards him along the street while carrying a lot of shopping bags in both of his hands. They looked pretty heavy by the way the man was clutching tightly to those plastic handles. The man had to stop in his path and put everything down to collect the apples that had dropped and rolled out from one of the bag. Maybe that was the reason of his yelp earlier.

                Junghong quickly ran to the man, crouching along with him to pick those apples. He took another handle of the plastic bag in the man’s grip before putting the fruits back into it.

                “Oh, thank you!”

                His hands freeze after the man’s voice greeted his ears. The voice that he grew up with, the voice that he had been longing to hear everyday, the voice that he could not forget even after so many years had passed.

                Slowly, he lifted his head to look at the man. And once he laid his eyes on the man’s face, he forgot how to breathe.

                It was his mother.

                He knew it was nonsense and ridiculous but it was really his mother. Maybe there was no way the man could actually be his mother because he looked as young as he was, maybe even younger than him. But anyhow, the man’s face was the spitting image of his mother. Even the man’s body gestures were exactly a copy of Daehyun.

                “Thank you so much!” The man said, pulling Junhong out of his reverie.

                He didn’t know what to say. Seeing his mother’s face apart from the pictures, made his heart ached in many ways. So he just stood there, gawking at the man who was beaming at him and he prayed to god for this moment to last forever in his mind.

                “I knew I should bring a trolley with me but I didn’t expect myself to buy this much,” The man continued, slightly laughing at himself in embarrassment.

                Though Junhong could feel his eyes started to sting with new formed tears, he forced a smile out while nodding slowly. “Y-You bought a lot…”

                “It’s not always like this,” The man replied sheepishly.

                “Really…?” Junhong tried to hold his voice from wavering. “Is there any special occasion?”

                The man scratched the back of his head, blush adorning his cheeks. “Actually, my lover is coming to see me today.”

                The first tear rolled down Junhong’s cheek but he immediately wiped it off, just because the man’s face reminded him so much about his mother during those times when they talked about Yongguk. “I see…” He said. “You must not have met each other for a long time.”

                “I’ve waited so long for this day.” The man nodded, a tad of sadness flashed across his face. “What are you doing here?” He asked before Junhong could be worried of him.

                “I’m picking up my daughter,” Junhong gestured to the kindergarten behind him.

                “You shouldn’t be waiting out here in the cold,” The man showed his concern.

                “W-Well… I have my beanie here,” Junhong pulled it out form his jacket.

                “You should put that on,” The man told him and he straightaway wore the beanie, the same beanie his mother had gifted him one time ago.

                “I’m glad you still keep that with you.”

                It took a second before Junhong’s eyes widened as he stared at the man. The latter just smiled at him, his face hiding thousands of secrets.

                “I should be going now,” The man uttered, picking up all of his plastic bags from the ground.

                “Wait,” Junhong stopped him by grabbing the man’s arm, tears already streaming down his cheeks. “I… I can give you a lift,” He offered.

                “It’s okay,” The man shook his head. “My place isn’t that far anymore.”

                The man’s arm fell from his grip and Junhong wouldn’t want to regret letting him go. Not again. So he went after the man to hold his arm again. “Wait!”

                The man turned to him, the smile still plastered on his lips.

                “Could I…” Junhong cried. His hands were already caressing the man’s face that felt so cold against his palms. “Could I hug you…?” He asked between sobs. “Please…?”

                Without saying anything, the man dropped his groceries onto the ground again as he was pulled into a tight hold of Junhong’s arms. Nuzzling the man’s neck, Junhong breathed in the scent that always lulled him to sleep every time he missed his mother. The man’s embrace was also as warm as his mother’s. Really, he could only think of this man as his mother now. No, scratch that. He was very sure that the man was his mother.

                “I’m sorry for suddenly acting like this… I’m sorry for troubling you…”Junhong apologized through muffled voice.

                “It’s alright. You’re not troubling me at all,” The man chuckled. “I’ve forgive you a long time ago. Though you did nothing wrong…”

                And Junhong cried harder. His arms tightened around the small frame of the man, hoping that he could release all of his longing towards his mother even though he knew it wouldn’t be enough.

                “I have to go now…” The man slowly broke their hug and Junhong reluctantly complied. They gazed at each other, as if they knew there would never be any other chance like this next time. But the man smiled again, his hand came up to Junhong’s cheek.

                “Goodbye, Junhongie…”

                Junhong was stoned in his spot. He couldn’t do anything except for crying his heart out. The man turned his body around at first, his gaze lingering on Junhong before he fully turned his back to walk forward.

                “Eo- Eo- Eom-” Junhong wanted to call after him again. He wanted to hug his mother one more time. He wished he could tell his mother how much he missed him, how much he loved him. He never wanted for his mother to leave.

                “Eomma!”

                Junhong instantly turned around at the voice of his daughter calling for him. When he turned to the front again, the man was gone. But he didn’t feel any regret. He knew, deep inside his heart, he had let his mother go sometime between the past fifteen years, as he moved on with his life. Having this chance of a lifetime to meet his mother again was the greatest gift he could ever get.

                Wiping his wet face using his sleeves, he realized the front of the kindergarten was already full of the parents. He had no idea what just happened to him but he was sure none of it was a dream. He turned to his daughter again. His face lightened up with a broad smile seeing his daughter running up to him. The little girl was wearing her yellow kindergarten uniform, her pink bag was bouncing up and down her back as she dashed towards his mother. Junhong lifted her as soon as she got to his feet.

                “Aigoo… My baby looks so happy today,” Junhong cooed before kissing the girl’s soft chubby cheek.

                “I got five star today!” The girl exclaimed happily.

                Junhong widened his eyes. “Really?! Great job!”

                Both of them continued their chattering while making their way to the car. It was Junhong’s routine to fetch his daughter from the kindergarten after work since Jongup finished later than him. He had no problem with that because he had his own car now. He bought it with his own savings which started after he first worked at Yongguk’s company six years ago. But now he had replaced Yongguk’s position as the CEO.

                He had to admit that his life was going pretty well under Yongguk’s care. He was able to further his studies and got married to Jongup after he finished his degree. And six years ago, his daughter was born into this world.

 

                Yongguk was the one who sent him to the hospital that day since Jongup had to go outstation. He was preparing the breakfast when his waters broke. Yongguk just immediately carried him to the car and rushed to the hospital.

                He remembered the first time Yongguk met his granddaughter. The elder gazed at the baby girl for so long as he cradled him, the wide smile never left his lips.

                “She looks like Daehyun,” Yongguk had said, his voice cracking a little.

                He chuckled while lying on the hospital bed. He had noticed that the first time he saw his daughter’s face. “She does,” He nodded as he studied the girl’s face again. Then he looked up at his father. “Should I name her Hyunjung? Lee Hyunjung,” He suggested.

                Yongguk averted his eyes at him. His expression showed complete amazement at his son’s brilliant idea. He just laughed after that and the tears fell onto his cheeks. “That’d be nice.”

                Yongguk laid his eyes on the girl’s pretty features again. “Hey, there, sunshine. I’m your grandpa.” He whispered before planting a long heartfelt kiss on her crown.

 

                “What else did you learn today?” Junhong asked once he began driving his daughter home.

                “My ambition!” Hyunjung chirped from the back as she was strapped in the booster seat. “Teacher ask me what I want to be when I grow up.”

                Right after that being said, Junhong was rendered speechless for a moment. The situation was too familiar to him, making him remembered about his mother again.

                “What did you tell her?” He kept his smile in front of his daughter though the tears were threatening to fall once more.

                “I want to be a doctor!” Hyunjung answered enthusiastically.

                Junhong nodded, impressed with his child. “And why is that?”

                Hyunjung hummed as she thought about the reason before telling her mother. “Because I can treat sick people like grandpa and they will be healthy again!”

 

 

 

 

 

24 years ago

 

                “Do you have any idea what you want to be when you grew up?” Daehyun asked while patting his son’s back; an act of putting the boy to sleep.

                “I don’t know eomma,” Junhong frowned at his mother who was lying on the same pillow, and also the same thin mattress in the small apartment room. “What do you want me to be?” He asked back.

                Daehyun jutted out his bottom lip. “It’s your future. It’s your choice.”

                Junhong sighed. The same frown was still etched on his cute face. “What do you hope for me to be?” He changed his question a little and his mother chuckled at him this time.

                Daehyun moved his hand to his son’s head, the soft hair affectionately before caressing the boy’s pale chubby cheek. “I want you to be successful,” He began, gazing right into those round orbs. “I want you to get married. I want you to have your own kids. I want you to have your own family and live happily with them,” He stated his wish one by one, his lips creasing into a brittle smile. “I want you to be all that’s not me.”

                Junhong’s frown deepened, dissatisfied with his mother’s last hope. “But I want to be like you, eomma,” He uttered firmly, leaving his mother gaping at him. “You’re the best eomma in the world!” He declared before throwing his arms around his mother’s neck. And they fell asleep in each other’s embrace that night.

 

 

 

###

 

 

 

Present time

 

                After they had arrived home, Junhong washed his daughter and changed her into fresh clothes before allowing Hyunjung to play in the living room with her toys. He stood there for a while, just staring at the girl from behind. He felt so lucky to be gifted with Hyunjung that he thanked God everyday for her existence in his life. He was just grateful that he chose to live until today.

                Of course, he had thought about suicide. It occurred more than once ever since his mother died. If it was not because his heart was always in an unbearable pain, he wouldn’t wish for his own death. He dreamt of his mother every night. He also dreamt of his mother’s death constantly.

                Then he thought that if he died, his mother would die for nothing. He lived today because his mother took the bullet for him. Moreover, he had told his mother that he wanted to be like him when he grew up. So he was not that pathetic now since he could fulfill his words.

                Junhong should be preparing dinner for his family but before that, he would go to his father’s room just to check on him. They had been living together with Yongguk in his house even after he was married and had a child. Yongguk didn’t ask them to stay or anything like that but he knew the elder actually needed company in that huge house. He knew because he had come back after two days from staying at Jongup’s family’s house and Yongguk was just watching the sunset from his bedroom window alone.

                When he pushed the door to the elder’s room after a few unresponsive knocks, Yongguk was sleeping soundly on his bed. He closed it back after back in order to avoid disturbing his father.

                Though Yongguk was not even fifty yet, that man was really sick. He was confirmed to have a weak heart a few years back. He had a couple of heart attacks before but he survived. The doctor said he didn’t have enough rest and worked too hard in his young age.

                Junhong believed that’s not everything. Yongguk was longing. His heart was beating for the person he loved before. So when the person was gone, his heart grew weaker, from his teenage days until fifteen years later when he met Daehyun again. And it’s been fifteen more years since the day Daehyun left till today. His heart was constantly in pain throughout those years. Of course, it would be so weak right now.

                Yongguk’s condition had worsened over the years, leading to his adopted son handling the company. Sometimes he went to the company, sometimes he just stayed home. Sometimes he looked great but sometimes he looked very ill. And today was one of the days when Yongguk would be lying in his bed all day long.

                Jongup came home a while later, greeting his daughter who welcomed him with a kiss. Junhong was still making dinner when his husband sneaked from behind before enveloping him in a hug.

                “You seem happy,” Jongup pointed out after pecking his wife’s lips.

                “I do,” Junhong admitted. “Something miraculous happened today.”

                “Really? Want to share it with me?” Jongup asked, his eyebrows quirking.

                “Sure. But after we’re done having dinner,” Junhong patted his husband’s cheek.

                “Hmm, you really like pillow talk, don’t you?”

                Junhong just rolled his eyes at that remark. But Jongup started stealing kisses all over his face until he had to chase him away from the kitchen. Jongup just scurried to his daughter back with laughter and poured the overwhelming love he got for her.

 

 

 

               Right after the dinner was ready, Junhong went to call Yongguk first. He knocked the door as usual but there was still no response from the inside. When he opened the door, Yongguk was still sleeping. Unknowingly, his heart thumped wildly in his chest.

                “My lover is coming to see me today.”

                Junhong rushed to the Yongguk’s side. “Abeoji…? Abeoji?!” He called while slightly shaking Yongguk’s stiff body. But the elder wasn’t moving an inch and he panicked. “Abeoji, aren’t you going to say goodbye to me too?” His voice wavered along with his rapid heartbeat.

                Then Yongguk woke up. Junhong breathed out heavily as he saw those lids were weakly lifted. Yongguk’s eyes wandered around the room before they landed on him.

                “Junhong-ah…” Yongguk croaked. “I’m tired…”

                Junhong’s breath hitched upon hearing the last word. “Di- Did you take your meds? Are y-you thirsty?” He stammered anxiously. Every part of his body was trembling as the tears gathered in his eyes.

                “No…” Yongguk muttered before averting his eyes to the window. “I want to go to Daehyun.”

                Junhong turned to look in the same direction. The curtain was pulled apart and he could only see the sunset. Even though he didn’t really know the relevance of the sunset to his mother, he always noticed that Yongguk would gaze at the sunset every time he was alone and missing his lover.

                He turned back at Yongguk before taking the man’s hand in a tight hold. “Abeoji, is it really time for you to go…?” He asked in disbelief, tears streaming down his cheeks.

                “Yes, it is,” Yongguk’s lips pulled a weak smile. “Daehyun’s calling for me.”

                Junhong shook his head. He yelled for Jongup and his husband came in a rush. Just by looking at the situation, Jongup straightaway went out to make a call to their doctor.

                Junhong sobbed harder, knowing that he would go through this sooner or later. He placed his hand over Yongguk’s heart, making the elder to look at him again. He slowly rubbed the spot which had endured so much pain since its other half was gone. He was telling Yongguk’s heart that it should be okay to join its matching piece now.

                “If it’s like that…” Junhong sniffled. “When you see eomma, could you please tell him that I miss him?”

                Yongguk smiled in assurance. “I will.”

                Junhong returned the smile. “I’ll miss you too, abeoji.”

                Yongguk feebly nodded his head. “I’ll see you again, son.”

                “Thank you, abeoji…” Junhong then leaned down to give his father one last hug. “Goodbye.”

 

 

 

###

 

 

 

                The next time Yongguk opened his eyes, he was in his old school. Everything was so bright and calm. Everything looked the same as the time when he was a student there. It felt so dreamy but so real at the same time.

               He was standing in the middle of the empty hallway. When he began moving forward, he felt young and strong again. He just walked along the path where his feet brought him. The path that was so familiar, the path that he memorized with his heart and soul, the path that he knew would lead him to a new world.

                When he reached the rooftop, it got darker as if it was dusk. The only thing lighting up the place was the figure standing at his usual spot. There Daehyun was, looking beyond beautiful in his glowing white clothes, his smile radiating from the distance. Only then Yongguk realized that he was also clad in whites. The wrinkles on his hands disappeared and there were not any creases as he felt his face.

                When he looked up, Daehyun was reaching out his hand. Yongguk made his way towards the man and took Daehyun’s hand in his. He could feel his heart beating again once their skin touched one another, the warmth from their hands flew throughout his body.

                “Sorry, I’m late,” He uttered.

                “You’re not,” Daehyun shook his head. “You came just right in time.”

                Yongguk immediately broke into laughter before engulfing the shorter man in his arms. “I missed you.”

                “I missed you too,” Daehyun hugged Yongguk tighter.

                “Junhong misses you,” Yongguk added.

                “I miss him too,” Daehyun sighed.

                Yongguk pulled apart after a while. They just gazed into each other’s eyes for a good time. They could do whatever they wanted now and they could do it forever because the time had stopped for both of them. Their hearts were swelling with happiness just by having that thought.

                Yongguk caressed Daehyun’s face delicately, his thumbs rubbing the smooth skin of his sunshine. “I love you.”

                Daehyun chuckled. “I have always loved you.”

                Both of them leaned forward before pressing their lips together. The sun was actually rising in the background instead of setting, shining on them and their eternity love for each other. Only after their life had ended, they knew that everything was worth the wait as long as they were together in the end.

                It was their love story that should be told to the world. It was their love for each other that should be called a true love.

 

 

 

###

 

 

 

 “The first time I met you was thirty years ago and I loved you.

But you left me.

I waited for fifteen years to meet you for the second time and you loved me back.

But you left me again.

 I had to wait for another fifteen years to meet you once more and we loved each other.

But this time, you stayed by my side forever.”

– Yongguk –

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

I have died every day waiting for you

Darling don't be afraid I have loved you

For a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

 

And all along I believed I would find you

Time has brought your heart to me

I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

 

Song: Thousand Years by Christina Perri


 

A/N:

the final scene is soo reenacting titanic I know (*/∇\*)

this is the very last chapter for now so I really want to say thank you to all upvoters, subcribers, readers and comments from the beginning to the end.

I love you guys very very much ♥♥♥