Win Something, Lose Something

No More Comfort Zone [editing]

From backstage, I looked at the teacher who was still speaking to the audience.

 

"I don't think we are gonna win." Jungkook whispered in my ear. "The other competitors are really good."

 

"Well even if we don't win, at least we have something as our prize."

 

"What is that somehing?" He asked confused.

 

"I really don't know." I chuckled. "We get a good grade for participating?"

 

He shook his head. "No!"

 

I rolled my eyes and just faced the stage again while listening to the teacher announcing the winner.

 

"Oh hey." I heard a female voice come from beside us.

 

I looked and it was Tiffany or Z or that .

 

"Hi." I awkwardly said and looked at Jungkook who was smiling at her.

 

I looked back at Tiffany, who was grinning in anger.

 

"Oh right I shouldn't be near Jungkook... I am dead. in dead!" I thought and mentally slapped myself.

 

"So why you guys so close to eachother?" she asked so stalkishly (is that a word?).

 

I looked at the little space between Jungkook and I.

 

"Well you know, we're just nervous about who's gonna win the competition..." I said quietly. "We're partners, I don't think there should be a reason why we shouldn't be near eachother."

 

She smiled, but I could tell it was fake. Just fake enough to hide that little ugly soul.

 

"Well I wish you guys luck!" She said and walked off.

 

"That motherer." I said.

 

"What?" Jungkook suddenly asked me.

 

My eyes widened. "Oh nothing!"

 

"...and the winner is..." I heard the teacher say. "Jeon Jungkook and Kim Minhee!!"

 

The audience cheered loudly and Jungkook hooked arms with me, despising the fact I'm trying to stay as far awa from him as possible.

 

"Let's go." He said dragged me out onto the stage.

 

I tried to unhook my arm from his, but all he did was agressively tighten his grip.

 

The audience kept clapping as confettii shot up in the air.

 

"Is winning the art off that big of a deal?" Jungkook asked.

 

"Well it's nice to get something like this as an award for doing something you love." I said.

 

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't really like art." He replied.

 

"Though, I do."

 

"Here you go." the teacher handed us the trophy, specifically Jungkook.

 

"Here you can hold it. You deserve it." He said and gave it to me.

 

"Thanks." I smiled.

 

"You speak first." Jungkook said. "Please don't stutter."

 

"Ok." I chuckled and the crowd gradually became silent. "Thanks so much for this trophy and to all of you who voted our art as the best."

 

The audience began to clap once again giving me chills of excitement.

 

"Goodnight!" Jungkook and I both yelled and headed backstage.

 

"Awesome!!" Jungkook hugged me.

 

"Whoa whoa! Too tight!" I yelled and he let me go.

 

"Ha that's what she said." He joked and I hit his shoulder.

 

"I think I should be going..."

 

"Trying to be distant from me again?" Jungkook asked suspicious.

 

"No i--"

 

"Minhee!" I heard a familiar voice cut me off from behind.

 

I turned around and it was mom.

 

"I'm so proud!" she hugged me and squeezed my cheeks.

 

"I'm glad you are." I said calmly. "Where's dad?"

 

"Out in the parking lot. He wants to talk to you in private." she said.

 

"Oh...that was expected."

 

"Well just hope it's a good talk." she said. "I need to use the restroom, where is it?"

 

"Down the hallway, turn the corner, and you'll see it."

 

"Thanks, see you in a few!" she said and walked off.

 

I turned back to Jungkook who was talking to s.

 

"Well see you tomorrow." He said over his shoulders.

 

"See you too." I shyly smiled and walked to the parking lot.

 


 

"Where is he?" I asked myself once I reached the parking lot.

 

"Over here." I heard my dad's deep voice on the right of me.

 

"Hey dad!"

 

"It's funny you still don't greet me formally." He said.

 

"Sorry." I lowered my head.

 

"Reguardless of that, I am very suprised at you, Minhee." He said.

 

I looked up at him.

 

"I am suprised you won that little competition against your peers." he continued.

 

"It wasn't just a little competition, but I am glad I suprised you."

 

"..well..." He chuckled. "...you didn't suprise me in a good way."

 

"Excuse me?" I asked shocked.

 

"Oh I'm sorry, did you misunderstand me?" He chuckled again. "I said I wasn't suprised in a good way. Meaning, winning this little competition is nothing. This little artistic talent of yours is not worth anything. This little dream of you becoming an artist is not worth anything. Dream of something else, child."

 

"But da--"

 

He cut me off, "I'm serious. I want you to be a successful buisness woman with lots of money working in a big company. Not an artist making barely enough money."

 

"Artists can make tons of money!"

 

"When they are dead." He bluntly said.

 

"You don't understand!" I shouted and the sky echoed my voice. "Not just artists, but anybody else in this world can be successful and make as much amount of money as you do! They just have to be very skilled at it and I think I am quite skilled enough for just a person my age."

 

"You can't do it!" He scolded me.

 

"I can do it!" I cried. "I can be successful doing what I love and have passion for. Not what I'm forced to love and have no passion for! You don't understand art....you don't understand anything..." I said quietly.

 

"It's not just art, but anything in the world that has to do with what you like." He said. "You have no taste. No taste in things that are more successful than your pity dreams."

 

All I felt was mental pain pumping through my body and heart.

 

"Hopefully I helped you lose your dreams now, sunshine." He said harshly.

 

The next thing I felt was my cheek physically burning. I lightly wimpered and touched it. It felt as hot as a stove.

 

"...dad.." I tried to say but tears took control of me. "...y-you slapped me..."

 

Even though the tears blurred my vision I could see my dad looking furious with a clenched fist.

 

"End of discussion." He said and got into his car. "If you want to talk about it more, save it for tomorrow." With that, he drove off.

 

I waited in the dark parking lot, alone, waiting for mom to come out from the school.