Chapter 22

It Hurts.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why didn’t you tell me about it, Hyoyeon? Don’t you think I should know if one of my best friends needs help?”

Hyoyeon immediately lowered her head at Tiffany’s scolding, not wanting to explain that it was because they wanted to give her some time to sort things out with Taeyeon. She knew Yuri wouldn’t be happy if she revealed the actual reason so Hyoyeon tried her best to stay mum or Yuri was going to murder her. In fact, there were so many things Hyoyeon wanted to say and explain but nothing was coming out and it wouldn’t come out well. If anything, there was a stronger possibility of things becoming worse and worse - not that it wasn't already bad enough. 

Tiffany was about to continue when she felt a tender grip on her wrist; she turned around and saw Taeyeon shaking her head, gesturing her to find another time for this.

“Right, I’m sorry… I was just worried.”

The heart-wrenching, pin-drop silence was broken with the sound of choked sobs and hard sniffles coming from the ice princess; Jessica tried as hard as she could but she couldn’t get the scene of Yuri convulsing and foaming out of her mind. A large part of her felt responsible for everything that was happening, including the reason why Hyoyeon was getting reproached by Tiffany. Nothing would have happened if they broke up in the first place; those two heartless clowns must have saw it as an opportunity to step in and make things worse.

Jessica clamped her hand over , not wanting her cries to get even louder. She already felt horrible about everything and it was bad enough for the others… why make them feel worse?

“Who’s the closest kin to Miss Kwon?”

“Me,” Yoona jumped up from her seat and approached the doctor with tearful eyes; her heart was racing against her ribcage and she couldn’t stop her limbs from trembling. Yoona cleared nervously when she saw the look in the doctor’s eyes, “i-is everything o-okay?”

“Well, her blood flow has been affected by the injections during the short period of time and um… we’re not sure if this is going to affect her immune system in time to come. We will have to wait for her to wake up before running any tests.”

Jessica shook her head, sighing at the extremely bittersweet news the doctor just delivered. She couldn't explain the relief she felt after knowing that Yuri was out of danger for now... the rest could wait. All she wanted was to know that Yuri would be safe and okay, even if it was a temporary piece of news that would later become a bit twigged. Her shoulders slumped down and she collapsed against the wall, tears flowing down her cheeks. She felt a pair of arms around her and Jessica broke down, snuggling her face into her sister's shoulder. 

What they didn’t know, was that a particular nurse had been watching all this from behind the wall with a shocked expression on her face. She wasn’t allowed to go into the operation room because she had other patients to take care of but now hearing it from here… Nana was worried.

 

*

 

“I don’t believe this… how did she manage to get out alive?!”

“ you, Tyler. You were not supposed to administer so much drugs in her system!” Yeseul screamed, massaging her temples in frustration. She was getting unbelievably worried about the young black pearl back in the hospital.

The lack of news from the hospital was absolutely driving Yeseul crazy, and she regretted it – there was zero intention in trying to hurt anyone; all she wanted was to get Yuri back into the ring. Perhaps it was a bit harsh in the first place but she really wanted to have Yuri by her side again. Yuri used to be there with her for almost five years, and would have been longer if she didn’t get caught. Furthermore, they were practically stuck together during those five years so how in the world could she stand by and watch Yuri get hurt like that? Though it's not like she would be able to do anything to change the circumstance.

“This isn’t over.”

“What are you planning?” Yeseul asked, afraid of what the heartless man was stirring for the young couple. She couldn't hide her fear and anxiety either, “don’t do anything stupid.”

No response. 

 

*

 

Jessica sat beside Yuri's bed in absolute silence; her tears didn't show any signs of stopping anytime soon, not when Yuri looked as if she was about to die. Yuri's body was injested with tubes poking out of her arms and one in , looking like the weakest human being that ever lived. Her hand was tightly held by Jessica's small ones; Jessica didn't have any intention of letting go of that hand ever again, especially when the owner of that hand had done nothing but protect her with all her heart.

Swearing on her heart this time, Jessica was going to make sure Yuri knew what it felt like to be sincerely loved.

“Unnie!”

“Jiyeon?” Jessica cocked an eyebrow, not letting go of Yuri’s hand, “what are you doing here? Don’t you have to rest before getting discharged tomorrow”

Jiyeon just shrugged at her childhood friend before taking the other seat beside Yuri’s bed; she was more concerned about the person who saved her rather than resting. If she was going to be more grateful about it, then Jiyeon should be here making sure Yuri was okay. She wanted to know more about Yuri’s condition regardless of whether she was being discharged or not. Yuri had done so much for her – saving her life was more than important – and Jiyeon truly owed her one for it. 

There was no reason why Jiyeon wouldn't show the same concern for her. 

“What did the doctor say, Unnie?”

“Yuri’s out of critical condition but she has to wake up before they can run some more tests… but he said it shouldn’t be too big of a problem as long as Yuri doesn’t show any signs of bad reaction.”

Jessica didn’t quite like the obvious relief her childhood friend was showing in front of her; yes, it was a good thing that Yuri was fine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter