Chapter 9: Truth

Perks Of Being Cupid's Daughter [TO BE RE-WRITTEN]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

          “You’ve got to be kidding me.” Jaeyoon scoffed at her friend. They were now inside Aejin’s living room, seated at one of the couches. Aejin had just finished explaining to Jaeyoon about her cupid identity and her duties, and Jaeyoon didn’t seem to believe her one bit.

          At first, Aejin didn’t plan on telling Jaeyoon the truth and tried to buy time to think by inviting Jaeyoon inside her apartment and offering her something to eat. Aejin did everything to change the topic, but Jaeyoon wasn’t buying it.

          “Is this some sort of a joke?” Jaeyoon crossed her arms, “A cupid? Really? Is that the best excuse you can come up with?” she scoffed, once again.

          Aejin decided to tell her friend the truth. Jaeyoon was a very smart woman; she would know if Aejin wasn’t telling the truth. Aejin knew that her friend wouldn’t let it go if she kept on telling lies. She had hoped that Jaeyoon would understand, being the smart girl that she knew her friend was. But from what she was seeing at the moment, their conversation was no near finished.

          “You ask me for the truth, I tell you the truth yet you won’t believe me.” Aejin sighed, exasperated. She knew that accepting the truth about her being a cupid was quite hard – with cupids being known as mythical creatures and all – but she couldn’t help but feel exasperated at her friend. Aejin was already telling the truth yet her friend still won’t believe her. She didn’t know what she had to tell her friend, at all.

          There was silence; no one dared to speak. Aejin was watching Jaeyoon, while Jaeyoon just stared off into space. She was thinking. Aejin felt quite suspicious. Jaeyoon didn’t look too surprised when she told her friend the truth. In fact, Jaeyoon looked confused.

          “Are you really…” Jaeyoon spaced off, not finishing her sentence. But Aejin knew what her friend exactly wanted to say.

          “Yeah, I am.” Aejin sighed, once again, “Back when you caught me, I was putting a love potion on Ellin’s drink to make her fall for Leo.” She cautiously explained and watched her friend’s reaction. Jaeyoon didn’t flinch, sigh or anything. She was just staring into space, listening to her friend.

          “I know it may be hard to believe, but there are more creatures out there other than humans and animals.” Aejin said. At her statement, Jaeyoon looked up and met eyes with Aejin. Jaeyoon had a blank face but a fierce stare. She held her fierce glare for a few moments before her eyes softened.

          “No, it’s okay. I understand.” Jaeyoon said as she relaxed in her seat. Somehow, Aejin felt like there was more from what Jaeyoon was saying. It was like she knew something else, but Aejin decided to keep quiet.

          “Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell us?” Jaeyoon asked, hurt evident in her voice. Aejin sighed and looked down. She had always wanted to tell her friends. Heck, she wanted to tell everyone she knew, but there were certain things that were better hidden. There were things that must be kept a secret.

          “I…” Aejin started, not knowing what to say. There were tons of reasons why cupids did not tell humans of their identity. She didn't know what to say first.

          One; if humans knew about cupids, there might be chaos. Knowing that someone can make people fall in and out of love with anyone can be very tempting, and the human mind isn't so innocent. It will only take a few seconds for a human to use a cupid's powers for the wrong things. Love is a powerful thing, and to use love for the wrong things would bring chaos to the whole human race. Two; Cupids were sure to be blamed. Not all of cupids' missions are successful, and not all individuals are assigned a cupid. Humans outnumbered cupids from a million to one; it was too hard for cupids to make sure that everyone's love lives were on the right track. If humans found out about cupids, the destruction of each and every relationship will be blamed on cupids causing a war between cupids and humans. Three; It kept both humans and cupids safe. Humans aren't the only selfish creatures in the whole life being. There were other gods and goddesses as well, and even more unknown creatures that roam around the worlds. If humans knew about the existence of cupids, it wouldn't take long for other creatures to find out about their existence as well. Some creatures will hurt these humans just to find out information about cupids and to gain leadership over them. The unknown was a scary thing for humans and cupids alike. The unknown could be much more powerful than cupids and humans combined.

          From all of these reasons, Aejin didn't know what to tell her friend. But from all these reasons, none of them were her reasons.

          Keeping cupids and humans safe was a big thing for Aejin. But she knew her friends well; they would never do something to put anyone in danger. She was tempted to tell her friends numerous times already, but there was one thing that kept on stopping her. There was only one thought that restricted her.

          "It was easier that way." Aejin spat out as she looked down, not being able to look at her friend, her voice quivering. Jaeyoon's eyebrows met, not knowing what her friend meant. She figured that being cupid wasn't easy, but she knew Aejin's statement meant more than that.

          "What do you mean?" Jaeyoon asked. Aejin sighed before looking at Jaeyoon straight in the eye.

          "It was easier to leave if you didn't know about me." Aejin confessed. Suddenly, Aejin felt like there was no air around her. She felt like there was no air to breathe in; It was suffocating her. The truth suffocated her.

          "What do you mean 'leave'?" Jaeyoon asked, unsure if she wanted to know the truth. She had an idea on what Aejin meant but she had to hear it from her friend herself. Aejin took a deep breath before she started to speak.

          "I was sent here by my father, The Cupid, years ago to make sure that humans lived in harmony and that individuals are with their mates, or match for other cupids." she explained, "But, being the only daughter of cupid, I have to go back to my world one day and leave earth behind. I have to go away and go back home." she revealed, her eyes full of sadness. Aejin didn't want to leave earth, nor did she want to leave Amor, but it was her duty. Leaving Amor and going to earth was her duty, and one day, leaving earth and going back to Amor will be her duty.

          Jaeyoon's eyes were as big as saucers and was open, as if she wanted to speak. But she couldn't utter a word. She didn't know what to say. The thought of her friend leaving her one day confused her and upset her. Jaeyoon wanted to plead her to stay, but she knew better. She knew that Aejin couldn't even if she wanted to. Jaeyoon wanted to know more, but too many thoughts kept running in her head.

          "I thought you had a brother?" Jaeyoon asked, finally being able to speak.

          "I do." Aejin nodded, "He was also sent here, just like me." she explained. Jaeyoon absorbed the information for a few moments before speaking once again.

          "Then, where is he now?" she asked.

          "He's in another country." Aejin informed, making Jaeyoon's eyebrows meet for the nth time. Seeing her friend confused, Aejin decided to explain.

          "When cupids are assigned to earth, we are given a specific country to be assigned to." she started, "Mine is South Korea." she said and stood up from her seat before heading towards the kitchen, leaving her friend in a trance. Aejin took a pitcher of water from her refrigerator and took two cups from her cabinet before she headed back to the living room.

          Aejin placed the pitcher and cups on the coffee table before she poured water on the cups. Once one of the cups was filled with water, Jaeyoon quickly grabbed it from the table and drank, making Aejin chuckle, somehow finding it funny how thirsty her friend was. Hearing her friend chuckle, Jaeyoon quickly stopped drinking and glared at her friend. Aejin quickly stopped chuckling and set down the pitcher.

          "Anyway, since I was assigned in South Korea, I was given the face and the body of a Korean. My brother, on the other hand, was assigned in Thailand." Aejin explained.

          "So, you're brother has a body and face of a person from Thailand?" Jaeyoon confirmed which Aejin nodded to. Jaeyoon sighed and slouched on her seat, trying to absorb all of the information she was getting, while Aejin just stared at her, giving her time.

          Throughout the night, the two of them talked. Jaeyoon kept on asking questions while Aejin answered. Aejin didn't mind telling her friend everything she wanted to know. She felt lighter, being able to tell her friend about her true identity, while Jaeyoon felt heavier knowing about her friend's secret. By the time they were done talking, it was already four in the morning. In three hours, they had school to attend to, and both of them decided to end the conversation.

          "I'll see you later then." Jaeyoon said and was about to leave when Aejin stopped her.

          "Jaeyoon, wait!" she said. Jaeyoon quickly stopped at her tracks and turned to look at her friend.

          "Please don't tell anyone about me. Not even Yunha, please." Aejin pleaded. Instantly, Jaeyoon had a disatisfied look on her face.

          "Why not? Why shouldn't we tell Yunha? She's our friend! She has the right to know." Jaeyoon fought back. She couldn't understand why Aejin wouldn't tell their friend. Jaeyoon already knew everything. It wouldn't hurt to tell Yunha as well.

          Aejin kept quiet for a while. Just thinking about her leaving her friends already made her sad. It was something she didn't think about for the reason that she always felt down whenever she does. It was something that she really didn't look forward to.

          "I have to leave, one day." Aejin repeated, making Jaeyoon scoff.

          "So what?" Jaeyoon asked in exasperation, "Fine, you're leaving one day. But don't you think that it's a better reason to tell us so we could spend more time with you?" she pointed out. She didn't understand her friend's refusal to tell Yunha the truth. All Jaeyoon could think of was to savour the time she had with Aejin while she was still here, and she wanted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter