Chapter 8: Caught

Perks Of Being Cupid's Daughter [TO BE RE-WRITTEN]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

          “What are you doing?” Jaeyoon repeated her question when Aejin didn’t answer. Aejin just looked at her friend, frozen in her spot.

          “N-nothing!” Aejin stuttered. Her eyes were now as big as saucers. She awkwardly shifted in her spot, not knowing what to say. Jaeyoon was staring at her intently, and just by that, Aejin knew Jaeyoon saw her pour the potion in the coffee.

          “You’ve been acting really weird lately.” Jaeyoon said, not breaking their eye contact, “Actually, you’ve always been acting weird.” She countered her own words. Jaeyoon started walking towards Aejin, slowly, and stopped just a foot away from her.

          “Who are you, really?” Jaeyoon asked, her face full of confusion and curiosity.

          “You skip a lot of classes, you know about people’s lives without anyone telling you, and you just suddenly disappear at times.” Jaeyoon listed all the things she found suspicious, “You even followed a man with Yunha, but you still always deny it.” She pointed out.

          “I saw what you put in that coffee.” Jaeyoon said, “Why are making Ellin drink that?” she asked and nudges her head to the cup of coffee on the table. Jaeyoon was going crazy. Ever since she met Aejin, she already notices that Aejin was quite suspicious. At first, she thought it was nothing, but as time passed, she found Aejin’s actions more and more suspicious. Jaeyoon finally caught Aejin in the act and wanted to know everything. She knew that there was a possibility that Aejin was someone Jaeyoon would fear, but Jaeyoon still wanted to know what exactly Aejin was. Jaeyoon knew her friend was different; she was sure of it. How she was so sure? Let’s just say, she was quite different, herself.

          What Aejin was feeling wasn’t quite different to Jaeyoon; she, too, felt like she was going crazy. Not only did she let her guard down but she also let her friend find out. She kept on racking her brain for an excuse, but she didn’t find one that Jaeyoon would buy.

          Suddenly, the bell rang, signaling that classes were about to start. A couple of students started entering the classroom, and Aejin knew she was safe – for now. There was no way Jaeyoon would confront her with all these people around them.

          “I’m not letting this go.” Jaeyoon said before she started walking out of the classroom. Aejin sighed and took a deep breath, as if she wasn’t breathing for the whole time. She stayed frozen in her spot for a few moments before she walked towards her desk. She plopped herself on her seat and just stared into space.

          It wasn’t over. Jaeyoon was not going to let what she saw go; She said so herself. What was Aejin supposed to do? What what she going to tell Jaeyoon? Aejin could clearly tell that Jaeyoon has been keeping an eye on her for some time now. A simple excuse wouldn’t make up for Jaeyoon’s suspicion.

          “Had fun talking to your boyfriend?” Aejin suddenly heard Yunha’s voice say. She looked up and saw Yunha by her desk. She had a cheeky smile on her face, as if she was teasing her. After saying what she wanted to say, Yunha walked towards her seat and sat lazily. Aejin was sure that Yunha was pertaining to Chanyeol, but Aejin was too busy to think about Chanyeol.

          Aejin couldn’t help but wonder if anyone else knew about her. She didn’t know exactly what Jaeyoon knew and what she saw in the past. Aejin’s thoughts also shifted to Yunha. Did she know anything? Did Jaeyoon tell Yunha about her suspicions? Aejin could only pray that Jaeyoon kept quiet and didn’t tell Yunha.

          Soon, the classroom was filled with students, and moments after, the teacher finally arrived. Aejin had economics again, and she knew that her teacher had something to say to her when Aejin caught her teacher’s gaze.

          “Ms. Yoon Aejin, please come here. We have something to talk about.” Ms.Yu said. Aejin stood up from her seat and trudged towards her teacher. She knew that they were going to have a conversation about Aejin’s make-up activities.

          “I already found a tutor to accompany you in your make up activities.” The teacher informed her, “I’ll introduce him to you right now.” She said and walked towards the door. Aejin mindlessly followed her teacher, her head too preoccupied with thinking of an excuse to tell Jaeyoon. There were tons of excuses she could choose from, but she didn’t know which one Jaeyoon would believe.

          “Aejin, this is your tutor, Park Chanyeol.” Ms.Yu introduced. Aejin just looked at the ground and nodded. It was probably just some nerd from another class.

          “You!” A deep voice said. It was only then that Aejin looked up and realized what the teacher said. Her eyes almost bulged out of their sockets, seeing Chanyeol. Chanyeol, on the other hand, had a surprised but amused look on his face.

          “There must be a mistake!” Aejin said to her teacher, mindlessly, “I change my mind. I don’t need a tutor, Ms.Yu. I can do all of the activities by myself.” She pleaded. Aejin already had so much mess in her hands; she didn’t need Chanyeol to be a bigger problem that what he already was.

          “I insist, Aejin.” Ms.Yu said with a stern look, “I can assure you that you are in good hands. I was Chanyeol’s teacher when he was in high school. He did very well in home economics and was one of my most enthusiastic students.” She said. Aejin wasn’t quite sure if she really was in good hands. She had a bad image to Chanyeol, for reasons that she thought was a bit too over reacting. She didn’t even know if Chanyeol was really going to teach her.

          “You can’t decline this, Aejin.” The teacher declared, “I’m strictly assigning Mr. Park Chanyeol as your tutor. Even if you think you’ll be fine without a tutor, some extra help won’t hurt.” She said. But having a tutor wasn’t the problem; Having Chanyeol as a tutor was.

          Aejin could only sigh and give her teacher an awkward smile. Aejin didn’t have a way out on this one. She couldn’t risk her grades decreasing or even getting detention just because she refused to be tutored. If her grades dropped, she would have to do more make up activities when she should be doing her missions. Aejin didn’t think that Ms. Yu would let someone else tutor her either. From how Ms. Yu praised Chanyeol, Aejin could tell that her teacher was very fond of the man.

          “Nice to meet you, my student.” Chanyeol said, putting out his hand with a playful smirk on his face. Aejin silently scoffed and glared at the man in front of her. She didn’t have a good feeling about Chanyeol tutoring her.

          “Nice to meet you too, teacher.” Aejin returned and shook Chanyeol’s hand, flashing him a fake smile. Ms. Yu smiled at the two of them, somehow buying their fake friendliness.

          After introducing the two, Aejin and her teacher went back inside their classroom. Aejin returned to her seat with a huff and slouched. She had to be comfortable on her seat in order for her to be able to think of an excuse to tell Jaeyoon. Aejin had exactly four hours to think. Chanyeol tutoring her wasn’t even much of a problem for her right now. What she was going to tell Jaeyoon was a bigger problem.

          Just like that, five hours passed and class ended. Some of her classmates quickly rushed out of the classroom, excited to leave the school, while their teacher yelled out some reminders that no one even listened to. Aejin stood up and started packing her bags when Yunha approached her.

          “I’ll see you after your Archery practice, Aejin!” Yunha told her before she walked out of the classroom. It was only then that Aejin remembered that she had an archery practice to attend to. She was too busy thinking about what to say to Jaeyoon, that she forgot about her practice.

          Aejin slung her backpack on her right shoulder and walked out of their classroom. Thankfully, she still had an extra hour to think of what she was going to tell Jaeyoon. That is, if she doesn’t get too preoccupied with practice.

          She walked out of the building and started walking towards the stadium. Aejin passed some students that was just loitering around the campus, and even passed by Kai who was practicing with the soccer team. The thought about what Jaeyoon had seen never left her mind. There were tons of distractions in front of her, but nothing distracted her from thinking about what she was going to tell Jaeyoon.

          Aejin arrived at the stadium and quickly greeted her teammates. She went inside the locker room and placed her backpack inside the locker that was assigned to her. Aejin quickly changed into her archery wear and left her uniform in her locker. Aejin walked out of the locker room and quickly walked towards the archery area, where Sanghoon was.

          “What are we going to do today?” Aejin asked, hoping that she would be able to think. Sanghoon looked at her, and Aejin had to look up just to meet Sanghoon’s eyes.

          “We’re just going to shoot today. No special practices, yet.” He said. Aejin was about to walk away until Sanghoon spoke again.

          “Oh, and Coach Oh is going to announce the members that will compete at the Archery Tournament later.” He informed her and Aejin nodded in understanding.

          Every year, an Archery Tournament was held. Four chosen archers will go head to head with other four archers from another school. For the past years, Aejin has been one of the four archers in the tournament. It wasn’t even a surprise since Aejin was a natural in archery, being cupid and all. She was quite sure that she will be one of the contestants, once again.

          Aejin was about to walk away to the range when Sanghoon spoke, stopping her, once again.

          “Go orient the new members about the tournament.” Sanghoon ordered. Aejin turned around and glared at Sanghoon, disbelieved at the order he gave her. Sanghoon, on the other hand, just smiled at her. Just when she thought she would be able to think of an excuse, Sanghoon comes and gives her a task. Now, she had no idea what to say to Jaeyoon.

          “I hate you.” Aejin said, which Sanghoon only nodded to.

          “I know.” He said, stifling a chuckle, and ushered Aejin to where the new members of the archery team was.

          Aejin sighed and walked to the said group, having no choice. She stood in front of them and ushered them to take a seat on the benches.

          “Alright, the archery tournament is coming up and I’ll be telling you what exactly happens in these tournaments.” Aejin started, and swiftly explained the mechanics of the tournament. Back in her head, she kept on mentally punching Sanghoon for giving her this task. From all the times he could bully her, he chose the time when her cupid identity was at stake.

          “Any questions?” Aejin asked the group as she ended her speech. She looked around and waited for someone to speak up.

          “How will the participants be chosen?” a boy asked as he raised his hand, catching Aejin’s attention, as well as the other members of the group.

          “Well, Coach Oh will be choosing the participants. He will base it on our skills and whatever he saw in our practices.” She explained, “But, I can assure you that one of the participants will be our team captain, Sanghoon.” Aejin revealed. The new members nodded in understanding while Aejin looked around, waiting for another question.

          “Do we have a chance to be a participant?” a familiar voice asked, garnering the new members’ attention. Aejin looked at the owner of the voice and smiled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter