Chapter 14: Trust

Perks Of Being Cupid's Daughter [TO BE RE-WRITTEN]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

          “I’ll walk you to class.”

          Aejin couldn’t help the smile on her face as she watched the scene in front of her. It was another day of school, and just as she stepped in front of her locker, she spotted Ellin. Just before Aejin could decide to go talk to Ellin, Leo approached Ellin.

          “Sure.” Ellin smiled, and the two of them started walking to Ellin’s classroom. Aejin watched as the couple walked away from her, and soon disappearing from her sight. She didn’t even notice that she looked like a stalker at that moment.

          “Aejin.” A voice called, causing Aejin to jump at her spot, hitting her hand on the door of her locker in the process. She held her hand in pain and bit her lip as she looked at the owner of the voice. There, stood her two best friends.

          “Oh, hey guys.” Aejin greeted, still holding her aching hand. Jaeyoon smiled and nodded back while Yunha’s attention was somewhere else. Aejin looked at where Yunha was looking, and realized that she was looking at where Ellin and Leo disappeared to. Knowing that Yunha was hurt, Aejin sighed.

          “Are you okay?” Aejin spurted out. It was the only thing she could bring herself to say. She wanted to slap her friend and tell her the truth about Taecyeon. But even with if she found out about Taecyeon now, Yunha wasn’t going to be happy. Aejin wanted to scream and tell her friend to get over Leo like she usually did, but she knew that it wasn’t going to help. Yunha wouldn’t listen, and she didn’t need Aejin’s words right now.

          “Yeah, I’m good.” Yunha answered, not meeting her friends in the eye. Jaeyoon and Aejin looked at each other before they looked at their friend in pity. Jaeyoon was about to let out a set of comforting words for Yunha, but was cut by a voice.

          “Your hand!” Yunha suddenly said with a panicked tone, causing all of their attention to shift to Aejin’s darkening hand. It was turning into a shade of dark purple, which definitely did not looked good.

          “Let’s go to the infirmary.” said, grabbing Aejin’s arm. Aejin sighed and shook her head at her own clumsiness. Nothing seemed to be going well for her recently.

          "You guys go. I have some homework I forgot to do at home.” Yunha said and flashed an apologetic smile to Aejin. Aejin nodded and returned her friend’s smile.

          “It’s alright. It doesn’t seem that bad anyway.” Aejin said as she studied her hand. Jaeyoon, on the hand, could only roll her eyes and shake her head at her friend’s words. Aejin’s hand turned dark and she would flinch whenever Jaeyoon touched her wrist. Jaeyoon knew her friend’s hand was in a bad condition.

          “I’ll see you guys later, then.” Yunha said, and started to walk away from her friends.

          Jaeyoon quickly dragged Aejin to the infirmary, not even waiting for Yunha to get a few feet away from them. Aejin just let her friend drag her, not having the right strength to pull her arm away. Everything that has been happening has drained off some of her physical energy, and the pain in her hand didn’t help. Once they arrived at the infirmary, Aejin sat on a chair beside a desk where the nurse lazily sat.

          “Excuse me.” Jaeyoon caught the attention of the nurse. The nurse lazily looked up and waited for Jaeyoon to continue.

          “My friend hurt her hand.” Jaeyoon explained. At Jaeyoon’s explanation, the nurse looked at Aejin’s hand, not moving from her place, before she stood up from her seat.

          “It’s just a simple bruise.” The nurse said, nonchalantly, walking away from the two. Aejin smiled as the nurse confirmed her earlier thoughts. She looked at Jaeyoon, only to be faced with a frowning face, telling Aejin that her hand was worst than how the nurse seemed it to be, and Aejin knew Jaeyoon was right. It was obvious that the nurse didn’t take her job too seriously. After a few moments, the nurse came back with an ice pack in her hands.

          “Here,“ the nurse brought out the ice pack and Aejin quickly took it from her, flinching from the sudden cold, “Just put that on your hand and you’ll be fine.” She said as she sat down on her desk and typed on her computer, as if Aejin and Jaeyoon weren’t there.

          Aejin looked at the ice pack in her hands and at her friend. Seeing how the nurse has already preoccupied herself with other matters, Aejin stood up and walked towards the infirmary’s door, figuring that the nurse wasn’t planning on giving them another diagnosis nor any further instructions. Jaeyoon followed behind but couldn’t help but spare a glare at the nurse on her way out.

          “Our school needs a new nurse.” Jaeyoon said as they walked out of the infirmary, while Aejin could only stare at her hand. She had placed the ice pack on her hand and found her hurting hand relieving for a moment or two. Though it wasn’t the treatment she expected, it did decrease her pain.

          “Come on.” Jaeyoon suddenly said and started walking away from the infirmary. Aejin followed behind, thinking that she and her friend were going to their classrooms, but questions arose in her head when Jaeyoon passed through her classroom.

          “Where are we going?” Aejin asked her friend. At that time, Jaeyoon stopped in front of a bathroom; the same bathroom where she caught Jaeyoon doing a spell. Aejin stopped as well and looked at her friend in curiosity.

          “I have to make it up to you for meddling into a cupid’s business.” Jaeyoon started and smiled at her friend, “Let’s go in, first.” She continued, cautiously looking around the area before entering the bathroom. Aejin followed her and quickly closed the door behind her, locking it in the process. Somehow, she knew what Jaeyoon was going to do was something mere humans couldn’t find out about.

          Jaeyoon switched the lights on and casually sat on the floor. She brought out her bag and fished out a few things from inside. Jaeyoon placed everything in front of her before she motioned her friend to sit beside her. Aejin quickly followed her friend’s orders and joined her friend on the floor. As she sat down, she studied all the items in front of her. A handkerchief, a small bottle with an unknown liquid inside, a candle, a match, a piece of chalk and a string was laid on the floor.

          “Students usually come here.” Jaeyoon started as she opened the small bottle, “There’s a rumor that the classroom beside this bathroom is haunted by a student who mysteriously died a long time ago.” She said with a smile on her face, “They say that after her death, the students who were assigned to that classroom started to have supernatural experiences.” She revealed and poured the liquid onto the handkerchief.

          “The classroom would turn dirty and clean all by itself, paper rocks would be thrown at students out of nowhere, chairs moved on its own, writings would appear on the board, and some students even died.” Jaeyoon explained, causing a chill to run up on Aejin’s spine, “And since then, everyone made sure to stay away from that classroom. No one how all of those happened and the principal dispersed it as a mere rumor.” She ended, lighting the candle in front of her.

          “And since no one dares to come to this place, it became my hideout.” Jaeyoon revealed throwing a smile at her friend, “I could do all the spells I want and no one would bother to come here.” She said, exposing her little secret.

          “Why didn’t I know about this?” Aejin wondered out loud. It was the first time Aejin had heard of that story. It was also the first time she actually really thought about why the abandoned classroom was as it was.

          “Maybe because you’re too busy with your Cupid duties to actually stay around for school.” Jaeyoon said giving Aejin a knowing look. Aejin let out a sheepish smile and nodded, agreeing with her. Her frequent absence from her school was something she couldn’t deny.

          Jaeyoon took Aejin’s hand which she gladly gave. Jaeyoon removed the ice pack from her friend’s hand and Aejin flinched in response. She moved Aejin’s hand around, causing Aejin to repeatedly flinch and groan in pain. At her reaction, Jaeyoon sighed.

          “We really need a new school nurse.” Jaeyoon said as she placed Aejin’s hand down, softly.

          “She was right about one thing though, your hand is bruised but since she didn’t bother to actually examine your hand, she didn’t see that your wrist is sprained.” Jaeyoon explained as she grabbed the now wet handkerchief and wrapped it around Aejin’s hand. Aejin could clearly smell the sweet yet intoxicating scent of the liquid, making her feel relaxed yet fidgeted at the same time.

          “So, what are you going to do with all of that?” Aejin asked as she motioned around the items in front of her with her good hand.

“I’m going to do a curing spell.” Jaeyoon revealed, causing Aejin to feel excited. She couldn’t help the smile on her face which Jaeyoon didn’t fail to notice.

          Jaeyoon is the first witch Aejin has even known. Aejin has never seen nor really knew how a witch performed a spell. She only knew the existence of witches from their education at Amor, and she never really fully believed in them until she found out about her. Finally being able to see a spell being performed made Aejin excited.

          “Since I did a lot of trouble before, I thought I should make it up to you.” Jaeyoon said as she tied the string around Aejin’s wrist, “Plus, I don’t think you could run around everywhere being Cupid with a bad hand.” She said, causing Aejin to smile.

          Jaeyoon stood up from her place with the chalk in her hand and drew a circle around Aejin. She drew a water sign beside Aejin and an earth sign at the other side. Jaeyoon sat in front of Aejin, the candle in between them, and looked at her friend sternly.

          “In order for the spell to work, you have to close your eyes and focus on the energies around you.” She instructed. Aejin nodded in response and slowly closed her eyes. For a few moments, silence enveloped them until Jaeyoon spoke once more.

          “We are now calling upon the elements of water and earth to heal the sick.” Jaeyoon started. She mumbled words that Aej

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter