Chapter 4: Mysterious Man

Perks Of Being Cupid's Daughter [TO BE RE-WRITTEN]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

          “Let’s go, Taecyeon!” Aejin jumped on her spot, as Hyorin's husky voice boomed. It was only then that she realized that she was staring at the couple in front of her.

          Hyorin smiled widely as she wrapped an arm around the said man’s muscular arm, and started to drag him out of the gate. Aejin just stared at their way, unable to process the man she just saw. He had a strong impression on her, something that told her to keep a good eye on him. He wasn’t her mate, she knew it; His impression was strong, but not strong enough. And just by looking at him and Hyorin together, she knew they weren’t for each other. It was just like the man she saw at the soccer field, but this time what she felt was stronger.

          Aejin shook her head, shrugging off her thoughts. She had a mission. She shouldn’t be getting distracted with random people she sees.

          She proceeded to walking towards the back of the college building where a tall fence was blocking her wait out. Aejin silently prayed that there was no security guards nearby and sighed when she saw none. Aejin quickly ran to the middle where a part of the fence was destroyed – probably done by the other students who cut class just like her.

          Aejin smoothly walked through the small hole in the fence and took one more glance around area, making sure there were no security guards, before walking back to her neighborhood. She walked around the streets as she recalled the right path towards the library, where she and her friends usually went to study for their exams. In less than twenty minutes, she was already in front of the said place.

          She took a deep breath before walking inside. Aejin bowed to the librarian who only stared at her in response. She walked past the librarian and started searching around the library.

          The library wasn’t too big nor too small. By the entrance was a set of tables for civilians to use during their stay at the library, and behind was numerous set of bookshelves with a label stating the genre of the books that the bookshelves had. Behind the bookshelves was another set of tables and a music library.

          Since it was a school day, and school time, there were only a handful of people in the library. It wasn’t hard for Aejin to spot Minzy reading a book at one of the tables nearby. Aejin walked towards the romance section and grabbed a random book before walking towards the said girl. She stood by the seat in front of the girl and gave the girl a big smile.

          “Hi. Can I sit here?” Aejin asked the girl. The girl looked up and quickly nodded with a small smile. Aejin smiled, thanking her, before she sat down. The girl resumed in reading her book while Aejin studied her. Aejin opened the book in her hands, pretending to read, hoping the girl wouldn’t find her weird.

          “What are you reading?” Aejin asked, trying to start a conversation. She had to take their conversation step by step. She was sure that the girl would freak out when she straightforwardly asks her “Hey, what’s up with you and your ex-husband? Why did you guys have a divorce”. Something like that would probably earn her a scolding from Hongbin.

          The girl looked up again and hesitated to speak but spoke up anyway.

          “Oh, nothing. Just some romance books.” She answered. Aejin slowly nodded, as if she was thinking, before she smiled brightly and took a hand out to the girl.

          “I’m Aejin!” She introduced. The girl looked at her weirdly, before she shook Aejin’s hand while eyeing her uniform.

          “I’m Minzy. Nice to meet you Aejin.” Minzy said and brought her hand back to her side, “Shouldn’t you be in school?” she asked. Aejin’s eyes widened as she slowly looked down at her uniform. She scratched her head as she chuckled awkwardly, forgetting that she was still in her school uniform.

          “Yeah, I should.” Aejin said awkwardly before a big smile plastered on her face, “But school is so boring sometimes. There are those times that I just want to go to the library and read romance novels.” She lied. That wasn’t true. She wouldn’t skip school just to read romance novels.

          “Anyway,” she tried to change the subject, “What brings you here?” Aejin asked, equally curious to why a party girl was at the library, and hoping she would be able to make Minzy open up about Jihyeong, “Other than to read a book, that is.” She cleared, “There must be some reason why you like reading books. I like reading them because it takes me to a new world. It takes me to a different and magical world.” She said with a dreamy look in her eyes, quoting Yunha’s words. Yunha was quite a book lover, while Aejin wasn’t much. Aejin would read some books but Yunha was different. She would marry her books if she could.

          Minzy looked down, thinking. Aejin knew she had pushed a button. She knew she was saying the right things. The only thing that she was praying for was that Minzy would open up to her. It was quite unusual to open up to a stranger, but she was still hoping.

          “It’s complicated.” Minzy breathed out, “I just want to forget about everything for a moment. I just want to forget about my horrible life.” She admitted. Aejin scooted closer to Minzy, showing Minzy that she was willing to listen to her.

          “Why? What’s up?” Aejin asked with a concerned tone. It wasn’t just because it was her mission, but she was also curious to why she filed the divorce with her husband. Minzy sighed before she stared at Aejin’s eyes, as if she was trying to read her. When she felt that she could trust Aejin, Minzy started to speak.

          “I have two guys in my life.” Minzy started, “One is someone I was married to recently, and another is someone I’m planning to marry.” She said, making Aejin alert. Aejin was surprised at the new information she got. She didn’t know that Minzy had a new guy in her life.

          “But, I’m starting to regret leaving my ex-husband.” Minzy admitted, earning a smile from Aejin which she quickly hid, “I’m starting to realize how much I love him.” She said, confusion in her voice. There was silence for a while before Aejin spoke, feeling the need to keep the conversation going.

          “Then what’s the problem? Why don’t you just go back to that guy?” Aejin asked as if it was the simplest thing in the world. She knew it wasn’t easy, but she needed to know why. Minzy sighed for the nth time as she placed a hand on her head, having a hard time to think.

          “I…” Minzy started, “I play around!” she said, exasperated, “I marry guys and break up with them for their money. It’s the only way I could live!” she defended herself. Seeing that Minzy was having a hard time, Aejin quickly stood up from her seat and sat on the seat next to Minzy. She started patting the latter’s back, hoping she would feel better.

          “I didn’t know that I’d fall for him. Not this hard, at least. I only realized when I was drunk and I was looking for him.” She admitted, “His irritating mother isn’t helping our relationship either. She keeps on calling me a . It’s tiring.” She said, tears streaming on her face. Aejin kept on patting her back, finally understanding the situation. She loved him, and the love potion Aejin gave her made her love stronger, but staying in a relationship was out of nature.

          After contemplating on what words to say, Aejin spoke.

          “Just follow your heart.” she said, making Minzy look at her, “If you love him, then go to him. It’s as simple as that.” She said and smiled at the other girl. Minzy looked down, in thought. Aejin looked around and spotted a coffee machine by the librarian’s desk.

          “Do you want coffee? I’ll treat you.” Aejin offered. Minzy sniffed before she nodded and Aejin quickly stood up. She walked towards the coffee machine and placed a few quarters inside.

          As Aejin waited for the coffee to finish, she smiled at herself. She felt proud and relieved that she got Minzy thinking. She was also happy that Minzy still loved Jihyeong. It would take only a few more persuasion for her to go back to him.

          She heard a small beep, signaling that the coffee was done. She took the cup and glanced at Minzy. Minzy’s eyes were red but she looked better, as if a large weight was taken away from her; She looked more relaxed. Aejin grabbed a small bottle from her skirt’s pocket; a love potion. It was to make sure that Minzy wouldn’t change her mind. Aejin poured the potion on the coffee and started mixing it. She walked back towards the table and took her seat beside Minzy. Aejin gave her the coffee and Minzy smiled in gratitude.

          Minzy sipped her coffee and Aejin started packing her things, ready to leave.

          “I have to go. I’ve got a few things to do at home.” Aejin excused herself. She was about to leave when Minzy stopped her.

          “Wait.” She said, “I’m sure that I love him.” Minzy declared, earning a smile from Aejin, “But there’s still the issue about his mother, and a lot more problems between my party friends and –“ Aejin cut her.

          “From my nineteen years alive, there’s a saying that I’ve always believed is true.” Aejin said, stepping closer to Minzy before placing a hand on her shoulder, “Love conquers all. No matter what happens, Love conquers all” Aejin said, a big smile appearing on her face.

          Minzy smiled back and nodded before thanking Aejin for her advice. Aejin quickly left the library and headed home, with a smile on her face. It would only take a while until they’re back together. The thought of completing another mission was really exciting for Aejin.

          Her happiness continued when she neared her apartment, where she saw her friends outside her door. She gave them a big smile, as if telling them she was sorry for skipping school again. Jaeyoon rolled her eyes before she shook her head and brought out a notebook to Aejin.

          “We have a lot of homework and a lot of lectures for you to copy. So, open the door. Hurry up!” Jaeyoon rushed her as Aejin grinned widely. Aejin opened her apartment door and the three of quickly entered her room and started doing their homework together.

          Aejin couldn’t help but feel lucky and happy. Excluding that she had to break a couple up, her day really went well. Her friends made it even better. Aejin felt lucky, knowing her friends had her back. Whenever she would skip school, they would always come to her apartment and help her keep up with the lessons she missed in school.

          Her happiness quickly disappeared when she went to school, the next day. News already spread that N and Ellin had already broken up. Aejin felt worst when she saw the two that morning. She could see that something changed. Both of their eyes were empty and the usual smile on their faces was gone.

          It was at lunch time when Aejin excused herself from her friends and went straight to the bathroom to talk to Hongbin.

          “The horrible deed you gave me has been fulfilled.” She told him darkly. Hongbin raised an eyebrow and shook his head at Aejin’s dramatization but understanding what she meant nonetheless.

          “You still feel bad.” He said and sighed while Aejin kept quiet, “You could make it up to them you know.” He said, earning Aejin’s attention.

          “How?” she asked with her eyebrows furrowed.

          “You could find their match for them.” He answered, “You’ll even see when you find their match that they’re much happier. They may not look like that right now, but that’s because they haven’t found the one for them yet.” He said, earning an approving nod from Aejin. It was a good idea.

          “Is that my new mission then?” Aejin asked.

          “No.” Hongbin shook his head, “It doesn’t really have to be your mission. You could help them in your own will. Since they haven’t been assigned any cupid yet, you could still help them. In that way, they won’t need a cupid anymore.” He explained. Aejin digested everything he said and agreed with him.

          “Yeah, I have to.” She said, “I have to find their mate.” She declared and was about to end their conversation when Hongbin spoke again.

          “Oh, and just a little reminder.” He said, “The couple you were in charge in a few days ago is getting married today. Make sure nothing goes wrong in their wedding.” He ordered and his image quickly disappeared from the mirror.

          Aejin sighed, feeling tired just by thinking of the things she h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter