Shapes (Baekhyun)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

Chanyeol had had a crush on Kim "Kai" Jongin since the moment he saw him.

I would poke fun at it was Chanyeol asked Kai to go out with him because each time Kai would answer no.  Confessing to Kai came to Chanyeol like breathing did to humans.  I had lost count of how many times this cycle went on and on.

As far as I knew, Kai didn't care.  He found it amusing and kind of cute that Chanyeol just kept reminding him just how much he liked Kai.

After Chanyeol and I kissed, I found myself annoyed.  I took me all of three weeks to realize that it was not annoyance that I was feeling.  I felt myself turning green with envy.  Kai should've told Chanyeol that there was no chance ever.  He should've told Chanyeol to stop trying.

"Kai~!" Chanyeol said in a cutesy voice.

I was prepared for the words that would follow. Chanyeol would get back on his feet and confess again in a few days.

"Chanyeol." Kai responded.  His voice was flat as usual.

"Kai~ would you like to see a movie with me this weekend?" Chanyeol asked.

Imagine my surprise when I heard, "Sure." fall out of Kai's lips.

My jaw dropped to the floor.  Chanyeol looked surprised too.  It had become their thing, the consistent rejection.

Kai chuckled, "What? You ask me all the time, but you don't really want to go?"

Chanyeol stuttered, "N-no.  Are you serious?  You'll go out with me?"

Kai responded, "I'm 100% serious.  Tell me when and where and I'll be there."  Kai patted Chanyeol's face and walked off to his next class.

I was reeling.   That didn't just happen.  This was supposed to be a story of boy likes boy who likes another boy, but the other boy isn't interested.  Love isn't meant to be made in shapes.  It's strings of feelings attaching two people together.

Suddenly, it wasn't just that I liked my best friend who didn't like me back.  It was that I liked my best friend who was about to have a boyfriend.

Chanyeol turned to me with his wide, lopsided grin.  He was elated.  Never in his wildest dreams had he thought that one day Kai would reciprocate his feelings.  Never in a million years did I think that Kai would like him back.

"You'll help me get ready for the date right?" Chanyeol asked me.

I forced a smile on my face, "Of course! You've finally achieved the impossible." I was dying inside.

I spent the rest of the day listening to Chanyeol plan the perfect date.  The perfect date he would go on with Kai.  Kai wasn't me.  I sat there, pretending.  I pretended that I didn't love Chanyeol.  I pretended that I wasn't jealous. I pretended that I had never kissed Chanyeol.

Chanyeol pretended that too.  Chanyeol dragged me to his house to plan his outfit.  He made me help look up with perfect movie to go see with Kai.  He sat on his bed hugging his pillow.  He practically radiated.  I swallowed my feelings and words.  I wanted to be with Chanyeol, even if it meant I had to be there while he fell in love with someone else.  I just wanted to be in Chanyeol's life right?

Chanyeol would just a dream that was never realized.  Thought of for a while, then dropped because it was too difficult to obtain.

I left Chanyeol's house with the weight of my feelings dragging me down.

4 years of high school.  4 years of Kai saying no.  The end was so near, why couldn't he just keep saying no?  Graduation was only 2 months away.

 

Saturday rolled around too quickly, and Chanyeol was on his date and I was sitting on my porch swing, watching the sun sink into the horizon.

I was bracing myself for the call that was going to come after the end of their date.  I had to put on a happy face.  So, I was sitting there with a forced smile plastered on my face when my brother came home.

He had his messenger slung over his shoulder with his car keys in hand.  I was a statue who didn't acknowledge his existence until he waved his hand in front of my face.  "What's up with the creepy smile?"

"Hmm?" I looked at him.

"You do know you looked like the Joker a second ago?"

"Baekbeom, you're not helpful at all."

"Well, you can just keep staring at the sunset like a creepy child in a horror movie.  Sorry to interrupt, I didn't know it was so important to blind yourself."

I turned to my brother just as he was about to enter the front door, "Baekbeom.  What do you do when you like someone that is dating someone else?"

He paused and faced me.  He tilted his head and pursed his lips, "You get over it."

"What if I don't want to get over it?"

"It's better to get over it than to wait around for someone that is never going to come."  He saw my face fall.  "Baekhyun, don't believe movies.  They don't always realize what a wonderful person you are.  Happy endings are for movies, reality isn't as nice and packaged."

I was about to say something else, but Baekbeom added one last thing, "If this person doesn't see how great you are, they don't deserve you."

"That's what you're supposed to say.  You're my brother.  You have a familial obligation to tell me that."

Baekbeom took a step forward and ruffled my hair. "I have it on very good authority that you're an awesome person.  You'll find someone that isn't taken.  Just give it time.  College could be good for you."

He began to walk into the house, "New beginnings my baby brother!"

"I haven't even finished high school yet!" I yelled after him.

He popped his head back through the front door, "Graduation is just around the corner."

I sighed and went back to practicing my I'm-so-happy-for-you face.  Hopefully the voice would come just as naturally.  I continued to watch as the evening sun pulled away, allowing the night to creep in.  I sat on my porch swing, gently swaying back and forth.

At some point, I fell asleep.


He was holding me.  We were under the shade of a large oak tree.  My back was pressed against his chest with his arms encircling me.

His lips were gently touching my ear, I could feel his warm breath.  We were just entwining and untwining our fingers. I leaned further back so that I could rest my head on his shoulder.  I nestled in and he tilted his head so that it was gently resting against mine.  It felt so perfect that I could fall asleep there.  I slowly closed my eyes, using him as a personal pillow."

"Baekhyun."

"Mm?"

"BAEKHYUN!"

 

My eyes snapped open.  I was slumped over on my side with my face smushed against the wooden bench of the swing.  My phone was repeating my name.  Chanyeol was calling.  Chanyeol interrupted my dream about Chanyeol.

I gripped my phone and hit the answer button. "Yeol?" My voice was groggy.  A yawn escaped me.  I moved to get back into the house.  I managed to stumble up to my bedroom.  I landed softly on my bed as Chanyeol spewed about how amazing his date with Kai was.

"And the best part, Baek, the best part was that when I walked him home, he gave me a goodnight kiss.  It was amazing, I think I saw fireworks or something."

"That's great, Yeol.  I'm gonna go to bed."  I hung up before he told me goodnight.  My hand fell away with my phone in it as my heart cracked. A tear slipped out before I could stop it. I squeezed my eyes shut.

Is it still a love triangle when I have no chance of getting him?

He liked kissing Kai but not kissing me.

Baekbeom never told me how to get over it.

How was I supposed to get over it?



A/N:

Ahoy there!  I decided to move forward with this...

If anyone still even cares. Everyone should be a little bit happy because I was feeling some really dark angst this week, but I funneled it into a rather depressing one shot and then another depressing two (and a half) shot.

I'm also writing a supernatural fanfic as well which is just sort of like, why can't I stick to one?

So I'll try to update this one at more regular intervals...

Comments would be awesome (also, I'm sorry for just vomiting words in this author's note.)