BONUS: A Good Guy (Kai)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

a/n: a gift unto you, my lovely readers.

please let me know whatcha think.


I can tell you for a fact that it was the weirdest experience of my life to tell my boyfriend that he was in love with his best friend.

I don't really know it took me so long to realize that Chanyeol was in love with Baekhyun.  However, it was incredibly easy to see that Baekhyun was the owner of his heart when Baekhyun walked in us during an incredibly heated make-out session.  Our shirts had somehow ended up on the floor and Chanyeol's pants had quickly followed in suit.

I mean, we were in a bedroom and Chanyeol was making use of the fact that I was laying down. He straddled me, and I got caught up in the heat of the moments and ran my fingers over his abs.  Suddenly, I heard the door swing open.  There Byun Baekhyun was standing with the widest eyes I'd ever seen.  He muttered something completely incomprehensible and ran away.

Both Chanyeol and I noticed that before he turned away, he looked really hurt.  Chanyeol pulled away, still resting on my pelvis.  He stared at the door for a minute while I stared at him.  Chanyeol got off me and swiftly put his clothes back on.

He cleared his throat, "I'll, uh, be right back." He kissed my forehead and left the room.

I huffed.  I mean I thought we were going somewhere.  When he returned, I asked him if he wanted to keep going.  He frowned at the floor and told me that something had happened between him and Baekhyun.  I ended up driving him home.  The drive was silent, and when I watched Chanyeol walk back into his house, the realization hit me.

Park Chanyeol was in love with Byun Baekhyun.  I felt kind of hollow.  As I figured it out, I needed to determine how I felt about it.  I thought I really liked Chanyeol, but why didn't it break my heart that he was in love wtih someone else?  It kept me up for a while.  Would it be selfish to want to stay in a relationship with him?

When the next day came, Chanyeol didn't break up with me.  I was kind of shocked.

A week passed and then two and I was still dating Chanyeol.  This was confusing to me.  Surely he'd realized it by now.  The reason why he stared off into to nothingness.

We were watching a movie at his house when I couldn't take it anymore.  "Chanyeol, I don't think we're going to work out."

He turned to me with his puppy dog eyes, confused and shocked.   I kept going, "Surely you know it by now? I'm not Baekhyun."

"I'm not in love with Baekhyun.  I'm in love with you." He whispered, not making eye contact.

I grabbed his hand, "You're not.  You left when were about to... consummate?  Yeah, you left when we were about to consummate our relationship. You left because of him.  At some point you had to realize I wasn't him.  You spend all of your time with me because you can't spend it with him.  Plus you don't need to worry about me, I'm not in love with you either.  You should just call him."  The words spilled past my lips as I came to realization that what I said was true.

I wasn't in love with Chanyeol, just the idea of him.  (It struck me as odd I was ready to go all the way with someone who didn't own my heart.)

Chanyeol examined his fingers and softly confessed, "I've tried.  He changed his number right after graduation.  Who am I supposed to lean on now?"

I don't know what came over me, but I found myself offering to remain friends with Chanyeol.  We were going to same college, and he looked like a lost puppy.  I didn't know how Baekhyun came to be Chanyeol's best friend, but it was going to take Chanyeol a long time before he found someone who would know him as well as Baekhyun did.

Tears spilled out of Chanyeol's eyes and he finally admitted out loud that he was in love with Baekhyun.  I held him while he cried.  It was awkward for me to comfort him in that way.

As time went on, Chanyeol and I became really good friends.  In fact, I might even say that Chanyeol was my best friend. Taemin and I sort of lost touch, and Chanyeol was there for me and all of my iffy decisions.

Chanyeol comforted me when I broke up with my second boyfriend, Sehun.  He was there when I found out that Tao (boyfriend #3) was leaving to go back to China.  Tao broke up with me, and Chanyeol bought me an intense amount of ice cream.

I could tell that he still missed Baekhyun.  It was kind of pitiful.

Chanyeol was constantly brooding after Baekhyun, but I managed the feat of the century.  I got Park Chanyeol to go on a date.  To answer your question, no it did not work out.  Chanyeol spent the entire date talking about, you guessed it, Baekhyun.  

Chanyeol befriended his date which straight up boggled my mind.  What could Kris (the date) possibly have been thinking?  Oh this guy whose pants I wanted to get into doesn't want to get down, but he seems like a really cool guy that I could hang out with.  I guess I'm not really one to talk.  I almost slept with the guy and we became best friends.

 

Tao had recently come back into the country and called me up.  I met him the park with my dog.  Tao immediately moved to pet Lady.  He was big piece of fluff too.  I guess I was great at finding friends but not love.

We chatted for a little as Lady chased leaves that were blown by the wind.

"How long are you back for?" I asked Tao.

"A while.  I got transferred because of my language skills.  It's a good pay raise, but I'm homesick already and I've only been here a few days." Tao softly complained to me.

I was glad to see he hadn't changed. "Oh!" I remembered Kris when he first moved here.  "I know someone who went through something like this.  He's from China too, I bet he could show you some good places to alleviate homesickness."

"That'd be cool... Uh, I have to go, but it was great catching up again.  Hopefully I'll get to see more of you?" Tao asked the last part.

I grinned at him, "Of course.  I'll send you my friend's info once he gives me the ok."

I waved goodbye to Tao.  I was smiling to my phone (because I was texting Kris who was enthusiastic to help out a fellow countryman) as I walked back into my apartment building with Lady.  I wasn't paying enough attention to my dog because her leash easily escaped my grasp. 

I looked up with the intention of grabbing Lady's leash when I saw the man she was rushing at.  He was leaving the mail area, trying to read something by tilting his head instead of reorienting the letter he'd received.  He held a travel cup of coffee in his hand as his plump lips parted in an expression of curiosity.  His black hair was styled so that his bangs were swept off of face.

I'd never seen such a perfect person in my life.  He probably wasn't a person, he had to be an angel or something.  Maybe he was a hallucination.  How had I never seen him before?

Then the worst thing that could've possibly happened in that very moment happened.  My dog jumped on him, knocking him to the ground.  Lady started humping him.  Never had I been so embarrassed in my entire life.  Even worse, I couldn't move, I kind of just stood there in horror as my dog, who had never done anything like this ever before, kept going.  The poor (gorgeous, did I mention gorgeous) man cringed into the floor, trying to somehow escape into the floor.  His coffee had spilled all over the floor, and I finally moved into action.

I yanked Lady's collar, pulling her off of the petite man's frame.  "Oh my gosh, I am so so so sorry.  I can't apologize enough-"

He refused to make eye contact with me and scurried up the stairs.  I watched him for a second before turning to Lady, who was trying to drink the poor man's coffee.

"Lady." I scolded.  I tried to clean up his coffee the best I could as mortification slowly overcame me.  First of all, I was sure I had fallen in love.  Lady might've just ruined my chances with him.  I walked Lady to elevator with shame weighing my shoulders down.  I managed to get back to the apartment.

Thoughts of the gorgeous man consumed my mind as I opened the door, releasing Lady into the foyer.  I wandered to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water before deciding to consult Chanyeol.

This was going to be embarrassing.


A/N again: i'll update soon with the baekyeol-ness that we all want.

<3