Speechless (Baekhyun)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

Kyungsoo gently knocked on the bathroom door.  "Baekhyun.  I need to pee."

I was in curled up in a ball in his bathtub, crying my face off.  I picked myself and sniffled as I opened the door to let him in. "Can I crash on your couch?" My voice cracked, and I wiped away the traces of tears that were still dampening my cheeks as he nodded.

I made my way to his couch, immediately hugging the blanket that had been left on its cushions.  My sobs were still quietly ripping through me. He'd been expecting this.  I wrapped myself in the blanket and laid down on his couch.

I didn't want to have to explain it to Kyungsoo, not yet.  I fell asleep on his couch.

 

I woke up and it was light out.  Kyungsoo had scribbled a note saying that he had some errands to run, so if I wanted to leave his spare key was on the counter.

I went to the bathroom and took toll of the damage that my late night crying had caused.  My eyes were puffy, and the tears had erased every trace of eyeliner from the night before.  I the faucet and cupped my hands to bring cold water to my face.  If I was going to redo my eyes, there was going to be minimal swelling.

I carefully outlined my eyes with my spare pencil.  I ran my hands through my hair, finger combing was the best I was going to get at the moment.  I slipped on my shoes, shrugged my jacket on, and snatched the spare key off of the counter.

I had to try three times before I finally figured out how Kyungsoo's locks worked.  I pressed the button down for the elevator, hoping that I wouldn't run into either Chanyeol or Kai.

I exited Soo's building only to stop dead in my tracks.  It was raining.  Of course it was, how hadn't I noticed that it was raining when I was up in Soo's apartment?  I sighed in frustration, wishing I'd carried my small umbrella around with me.

The sky was bleak and gray, and it was a perfect day for an ice cream sundae.  I exhaled a cloud of steamy breath when I heard a familiar noise.

I'd heard it enough in my time spent with slightly sick Chanyeol.  I turned to see Chanyeol standing under a clear umbrella.  He smiled, "You never could remember to carry your umbrella."

I looked down, trying to find a way out of this. "You don't know me anymore."

It was a true enough statement, I didn't know him anymore.  There was a six year gap in our shared history, I could be involved with someone for all he knew.  He was still with Kai, so I guess maybe Chanyeol was still very much the same person he used to be.

"Why won't you let me?  We're best friends forever."

I smiled, letting out a soft chuckle of disbelief, "You can't say that.  We haven't spoken in six years."

"People say that best friends don't need to speak to each other everyday.  Best friends can stop speaking for a long time and pick it back up again like no time has passed at all." Chanyeol said.

I don't want to be your friend Park Chanyeol.  I want to be your everything. "Maybe we aren't best friends Chanyeol."

He closed the short distance between us and smiled at me before saying, "I'll buy you some ice cream."

How did he still know me so well?  It had been years, literally, years since our last real conversation.  "It's raining right now, freezing rain.  Who says I want ice cream?"

He leaned towards me and whispered, "You're a very complicated person."  He began walking away, in a random direction.  I was frozen by his utter confidence that he still knew everything about me.  He probably still did.

"Are you just gonna stand there, or do you want a little bit of protection from the freezing rain?"

Did I really want to do this?  It meant letting Chanyeol back into my life.  It was a given that he'd take my heart, much in the same way he'd done all those years ago.  I debated with myself for a few moments, even though my heart had already decided.  I jogged up next to him, standing under the protection of the umbrella.  "You're paying," I told him.

He nodded and suddenly hooked his arm around my shoulder.  I couldn't help but stiffen, and my heart began thundering of its own accord.  I looked at him nervously; I wasn't the best actor.  Chanyeol looked forward, snuggling me closer, "Wouldn't want you to get wet."

He guided us forward.  I should've paid more attention to where we were going, but just being around Chanyeol was clouding my judgment.

 

Chanyeol shoved me into a seat.  It was in the way back; I wasn't even sure if we were allowed to be there.  He set the umbrella against the wall and went to get us some ice cream.  I was about to complain about how he didn't know what I wanted, but it wasn't going to change anything.

I needed to hurry up with the getting over Chanyeol before he got back with the ice cream.  I was so busy shoving my feelings down to the deepest pits of my stomach that I didn't see Chanyeol sit down with one sundae.

I looked between him, the one bowl, and the two spoons about twenty times before I realized we were about to share it.

"What...?" It was the only thing I managed to articulate.

"Unless six years have changed the amount of ice cream on a brownie topped with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, sprinkles, and marshmallows you can eat at once, this is good right?"  Chanyeol paused, "We used to do this all the time."

I couldn't argue that point, but he was not helping me get over him.  In fact, I was falling a little bit harder.  "It's fine." I ended up saying as I picked up one of the spoons.

No more words passed between us as we ate the ice cream.  I could almost imagine it as a date, if only he liked me too.  He was just trying to get closure on our friendship.

"What's been up with you?" I asked.  I kind of wanted to know, or maybe I just wanted to hear him talk if this was where we ended.

Chanyeol put his spoon down and began his piece, "Well, um, where do I start?  I mean I went to college and graduated.  I work from home most of the time because I make graphics for all sorts of things.  Kai is my roommate now... I think that's it."

"For someone hell-bent on catching up, that was pretty short." I my spoon clean and set it down.

"Well, I spent a lot of time missing you and worrying.  I was so worried.  I mean you just left, without telling me.  You changed your phone number... I had a lot of time to think about it.  You didn't even tell me your parents were moving.  That doesn't happen overnight Baek." Chanyeol's gaze became slightly cold.

I sat back and watched as a couple entered the ice cream parlor.  "As I recall it, the last few months of high school, you were always too busy to come to my house."  Jealousy came flying straight back to its former place in my heart.

"You left me alone." Chanyeol whispered without meeting my gaze.

"You have Kai." I had a light joking tone despite the fact that I felt like I was dying inside.

"Kai isn't you."

That statement rendered me speechless.

It took me a while before I managed to respond to that.  "I know."  Did he even know how much I wished I was Kai?  Ever since we kissed, I spent so much time wishing that Kai would disappear so that I could take his position.

I got up and walked out of the parlor.  Thank god it was raining because I was about to cry.  I had no clue where I was, but I was bearing the freezing rain so that I could cry without anyone asking me anything.  I hated that I was still in love with Park Chanyeol.  Hadn't time and distance done anything for me?

"HEY! BYUN BAEKHYUN!" I heard Chanyeol yell angrily.  I stopped ready to turn around in order to tell him off.  Maybe we could catch up when I got over him.

I whipped around, straight into Chanyeol embrace.  Any words that had been prepared to fly out died in my throat.  I could feel Chanyeol panting, he must've ran to catch up with me.   The loud patter of rain against his umbrella and the sidewalk and his uneven breathing filled the air between us.  

"Stop leaving me." Chanyeol let out.

 



a/n:

hi guys.  I know I normally update sooner, but it's just been one of those weeks. (if you are reading any other fics by me, this is probably the only one that I am updating sorry :/ )...

Let me know how this went for you. <3