New Normal (Baekhyun)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

A/N: Hello everyone.  I am putting this beforehand because I want you to read it.

I would hug you guys and everything but this in the internet.  ANYHOW.

THERE IS A TIME JUMP.

Enjoy it.  Let me know what you think~


Kyungsoo held his cup of coffee right in front of his face.  A stupid in love smile was plastered on his face.

"Do. Kyung. Soo." I made sure he heard every syllable.  He snapped out of his reverie and looked at me.

"What?"

"Are you going to tell me who you're thinking about or do I have to beat it out of you?" I brought my own cup to my lips.

Kyungsoo looked down into his coffee and smiled.  "I think I'm in love."  Did he really expect me to accept just that?  I raised my eyebrow at him.  I motioned for him to continue.

Kyungsoo briefly bit his lip and let the truth spill out of his mouth all at once, "I saw this guy, and he was gorgeous.  He was sort of tall with this honey tan and he was playing a dog.  He was so cute, but at the same time, I felt an intense ual attraction too."

Kyungsoo had been a dreamer and hopeless romantic ever since I'd met him.  We'd met in college when we got paired together for a group project, and our friendship blossomed from the frustration of presentations.  We were different, and it was refreshing.  A lot of time he was painfully shy, but he'd still come up with fantastic scenarios based off of single word interactions with other people on a daily basis.

He was nothing like Chanyeol, which is what I needed.  He'd somehow become my closest friend by the end of college.

"Kyungsoo, you don't like dogs." I said, taking another gulp of coffee.

"I could learn to like dogs." Kyungsoo shrugged.

I chuckled at his ridiculousness.  We got up from our seats and made our way to the exit.

It was yet another cold, winter day in the city.  I was buttoned all the way up and had my nice gloves on, but I was still cold enough that I felt the need to shove my hands in my pockets, causing my shoulders to shoot up.  "Soo.  You have not actually talked to this man.  You don't even know if he's gay.  You don't even know if he's worth learning to like dogs for."

Kyungsoo, whose nose was already turning red, bit his lip.  "Am I not allowed to at least pretend that one day, maybe, just maybe, I will have a gorgeous boyfriend who looks like he's way out of my league, but insists that he doesn't deserve me?"

"That's oddly specific."

"Okay, so maybe, I have seen him more than just once." Kyungsoo slapped his hand over his mouth.

"Oh my god, are you stalking him?" I whipped around to face him.

"No! No. No. NO.  I just see him with his dog every time I'm on my way to work.  I guess my new apartment is located where all the hot people live."

I nodded and grinned.  "You love him.  You don't even know him.  You shouldn't fall in love when the other person isn't aware your existence.... or your feelings."

I couldn't help adding the last part.  Kyungsoo knew that I'd fallen for my best friend once, and that my feelings and I came out of the situation as the loser.

"Sorry." Kyungsoo whispered.  The joking fell flat.

"It's not your fault.  Anyways, maybe you should strike up a conversation."

"Yeah, well, maybe I will." He sassed at me.  I scoffed and patted his head.

"Let's go to work." I said as I hooked my right arm around his neck.  "Oh hey, when are you going to invite me to your new place?"

"Once I've unpacked."

 

 

My phone began screaming.  Buzzing and ringing at it's loudest setting.  I picked it up off of the counter and looked at the caller ID.  Do Kyungsoo.   I had long done away with cute nicknames in my phone.  It reminded me of Chanyeol, then again almost anything could remind me of Chanyeol.

I picked up my phone.  It wasn't like my cereal needed to be eaten this very instant. Yeah, I was going to have a bowl of cereal for dinner. I was living it up.

Before I could even say hello, words blared in my ears, "OMIGODHELIVESINTHESAMEBUILDINGASME!!!"

"What?  I didn't get any of that."

"Attractive man that I am in love with.  Lives in my new apartment building. He said words to me.  I can't tell if I'm alive or not.  Baekhyun, I think I might be dead."  Kyungsoo slowed down, just barely.  He was breathing heavily.

"What are you in high school?  Wait. Wait, why did he say words to you?"

I heard Kyungsoo choke, "Well, I, uh, um, I mean, uh... his dog."

"His dog what?  HEY DO KYUNGSOO, you called me.  Give me answers."

"His dog sort of ran over, jumped on me, and tried to befriend my leg."  Kyungsoo mumbled.

I burst out laughing.  "How are you ever going to face him?  His dog tried to empregnate you.  Now you're just the guy that his dog humped."

"I don't know.  I even spilled my coffee. It's okay, I'm only completely in love with him, AND OH MY GOD, I'm going to die alone."  Kyungsoo began crying.

"Tell me your address, Soo." I pinched the brigdge of my nose.  He would be a blubbering, swollen mess tomorrow if I didn't try to intervene.

He quickly told me address.  He knew I'd hook him up with some ice cream.

On my way to his house, I grabbed some ice cream.  His favorite flavor was strawberry.  I decided that if he was going to eat some ice cream, I certainly wasn't going to deprive myself of the experience.  I put the pint back and grabbed a quart of Neapolitan ice cream because even though I loved Kyungsoo, we were not going to share an entirely strawberry quart of ice cream.

Just as I arrived to admire Kyungsoo's building, snow began to fall.  It made everything so much more magicaly as little pieces of white fluff fell.  Street lights illuminated them, making them sparkle as they floated to the ground.  They were so big and fluffy, I couldn't stop myself from extending my hand to watch snowflakes melt against the heat of my palm.  I broke out into a smile.  It had been a while since I'd taken the time to smell the roses, or rather, watch the snow.

I turned around to look at how the ground was being coated with whiteness.

My eyes took notice of the park area directly in front of the building.  I turned back to enter the building, leaving behind the winter wonderland that was forming in front of my eyes.  I reached the elevator and pressed the button for Kyungsoo's floor.

"Hey hold the door, please!" A voice called out.  I hit the open doors button, hoping that it wouldn't be too late.

A dog entered the elevator and then the owner.  I felt my phone vibrate, and I didn't even look up to see who I was riding up with.

Kyungsoo: do u have ice cream? i'm dying.

I snorted.  "Drama queen."

Baekhyun: What happened to grammar?

Kyungsoo: grammar doesn't matter if i die. pls save me.  pls tell me its strawbry

Baekhyun: You're going to have to look at this once you've eaten your ice cream.  It'll make you cry again.

Kyungsoo: when r u getting here?

Baekhyun: Calm down. I'm in the elevator.

The elevator dinged, and I glanced up to see if it was my floor.  Indeed it was.  I swiftly got off and walked, looking at the door numbers as I went.  I found his apartment number and I knocked three times on the door.  Kyungsoo was there immediately.

"Who's your favorite person in the entire world?" I smiled, raising the plastic bag with the ice cream in front of his face.