The Silence Between Us Says Everything (Baekhyun)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

a/n: take a breath and prepare for fluff.


 

1 year and 3 months after the proposal.

2 days until the wedding

 

I sat in the living room, gnawing on my thumbnail.  I moved into Chanyeol's apartment about a month after he proposed, which sort of forced Kai to move-- straight into Kyungsoo's apartment.

I took my nail out of my mouth and rested my palm against my cheek.  My teeth took to gnawing on the inside of my cheek as I looked at the seating arrangement for the reception. I was afraid that something would go down between my family members if the wrong relatives were seated together.

I switched two names and leaned back to look at the adjustment.  I let out a frustrated sigh and put them back to their original place.

I heard the front door open and the rustling of plastic bags.  "Welcome home." I said loudly over my shoulder.

I continued to stare at the seating chart while I listened to Chanyeol set whatever groceries he picked up on the table.  He walked into the living room and seated himself behind me, placing a soft kiss on the back of my neck.  "What are you up to?" He asked, his breath fanning against my neck.

"Our wedding is going to be a disaster." I announced.

"How so?" He gently tucked some of my hair behind my ear.

"This seating is just a nightmare.  It's going to ruin our wedding and reception." I turned to look at him with a slightly panicked visage.

He examined me, eyes studying my face.  He pursed his lips, "It's not going to ruin our wedding."

A million words rushed past my lips, "Yes, it is, Chanyeol.   I can't have Aunt Minah sit next to Bomi because they are still fighting, but I can't put Daehyun near the food because he'll eat before anything is served.  Taehyung can't be near the food either, but he also can't be by the DJ because he will request a million songs that will not be appropriate at our wedding.  Plus Tao wants to be seated next to Sehun, but far enough away from Kris that he can't hear what they are talking about, whatever that drama is about. Xiumin will be mad if he doesn't get to sit with Luhan because they're still best friends, and don't even get me started on what we have to do with Taemin because I swear he's got his own little love triangle--"  Chanyeol placed a finger on my lips.

"It'll be okay." He whispered, nodding his head.

"How are you so calm about this?  There is going to be an actual family feud." I returned my gaze to the seating chart.  Chanyeol grabbed my face in his hands and turned my face back him.

"First of all, you're worrying enough for the both of us.  I'd even say you're worrying for six people.  Second of all, it is our wedding.  It'll be perfect because there's you and me.  Everyone will work it out because they are coming to celebrate us."  He searched my eyes to see if his words calmed me.

"You're perfect.  You're a great catch." I sighed.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but I'm taken." He smiled and showed me his hand, wiggling his ring finger.

I pushed his shoulder and looked back at the seating chart.  Chanyeol let out a whiny sigh, "It's our last night together as boyfriends, and you're still going to mess with the seating chart?"

I bit my lip, "But it needs to be perfect."

"Byun Baekhyun, we could get married in a sandbox and it would still be perfect."

I kissed his cheek, "I love you, but we're not getting married in a sandbox."

His lips quirked into a smile, "If you really love me, you'll put away the silly seating chart and join me on the couch for a mediocre TV movie and some cuddling."

He quickly got to his feet and offered me a hand.  I grasped his hand and let him bring me to my feet.  He chuckled as he looked down at me, "Hi shorty."

"Go get some snacks, you giant dork." I said, rolling my eyes.

He kissed my hair as he released me, "But I'm the giant dork you're marrying, so you get to be Mr. Giant Dork."

He walked towards the bags he placed on the dining room table, "You're Mr. Giant Dork."

Chanyeol sighed and puffed his cheeks, "We are Mr. & Mr. Giant Dork."  He grabbed a bag of chips and went to the fridge to get some drinks.  I sat down on the couch and the TV.  I flipped through the channels to find a movie that was towards the beginning.

Chanyeol returned from the kitchen, handing a bottle of water and the bag of chips.  He sat himself down between me and the arm rest, putting his legs on the ottoman.  I leaned against him, and he put his arm around me.

"I haven't seen this one before." He commented as names flashed across the screen to a upbeat song.

I pulled the top of the chip bag open and grabbed a chip, "Me either."

"Hey, Mr. Giant Dork's future husband." Chanyeol said, sticking his hand into the bag as well.

"What?" I asked before chomping down on the salty piece of fried potato.

"I love you."

I let out a small laugh, "Love you more."

"Impossible." He whispered as the first scene began.

Chanyeol and I watched the movie, making silly comments and questioning the lead actors' decisions.  By the end of the night, my head was in Chanyeol's lap, and he was holding one of my hands.  We fell asleep before the movie ended, leaving the TV quietly playing infomercials in the background.

 

Day of the Wedding



Kyungsoo bent down in front of me and motioned with his hand how I was supposed to take deep breaths.  He took the deep breaths with me, in air and bringing his hand forward.  We paused and exhaled as Kyungsoo's hand moved away from his chest.  "Deep breaths, Baek."

"I am taking deep breaths." I told him.

"It's supposed to be calming; you look like you're panicking even more." Kyungsoo gave me a sideways look.  His hair was styled back, keeping any stray hairs out of his face.  He was wearing a gray tuxedo with a black waist coat and a sea green silk tie.

"Do Kyungsoo, how do you expect me to be calm at a time like this?"  I looked at my best man, who returned it with a sympathetic expression on his face.

"You are getting married to the love of your life.  Are you scared?  Do you have cold feet?" He asked, searching my eyes for any doubts about my impending wedding and marriage.

"No, I don't have cold feet.  It's just... I don't know what to do." I stared at my feet.

"You have made sure that it is going to be perfect.  All you need to do is get down the aisle."  Kyungsoo was keeping an even tone.  My mother would be coming into the room at any minute and tell me that it was time for me to begin the wedding.

"What if he says I don't?  Or someone has a reason to object to our union?" I questioned him, frantically looking up at him, baring all of my insecurities just moment before I was going to wed Chanyeol under the eyes of God and all of our family and friends.

"He is not going to say 'I don't', and I will punch anyone if they have an objection."  I nodded at Kyungsoo's supposed words of comfort.

My mother bustled into the room and told Kyungsoo it was his turn to trek to the altar.  Kyungsoo left, and I knew that I was going to be next.

My mother smoothed the edges of my lapel and tweaked my corsage.  She looked at me, "Don't worry, all your nerves will melt away when you see Chanyeol waiting for you."

"Were you nervous when you were getting married to Dad?"

She smiled warmly, "Of course."

The piano music started playing and my mother linked arms with me.  I took a deep breath and the doors swung open.  All of the tension that I held in my shoulders went away when I saw Chanyeol waiting for me.

None of the people standing in the pews even registered as there for me.  I only saw Chanyeol as I slowly made my way towards him.  All of his feelings were written on his face as a soft smile placed itself on his lips.

My mother and I made it to where Chanyeol was standing, and she released my arm as Chanyeol held out his hand for me.  I clasped his hand, briefly glancing at my mom before walking with Chanyeol to the front of the altar.

"You may now be seated." The minister said once we were in our places.

My eyes were glued to Chanyeol the entire time as the minister spoke the generic scripted speech.  "We are gathered here today to witness Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun as they are joined together in the eyes of God.  A marriage is like a flower that must watered with love everyday to keep it going to strong.  With the love that these two have with each other, their marriage will last forever.  Now for the exchanging of vows, Baekhyun will go first."

I cleared my throat, recalling the words I'd memorized over and over, "I vow to love you for the rest of my life, and in the afterlife and any other lives that may happen between the two of us.  I promise that even if you forget my birthday or our anniversary, I will listen to your apology and accept it. I'll always be there to take care of you when you get sick or you've had rough day at work.  I've already given you my heart, so today I'll give my soul, so please take care of it the way that you've been taking care of my heart."

Chanyeol was smiling, and the minister turned to him and told him to give me his vows, "Baekhyun, I promise to take care of you for the rest of my life.  I'm willing to take on any drama that you feel needs to be in our lives.  I intend on loving you even after I stop existing."  I could feel a tear forming in the corner of my eye.  "It will be my pleasure to wake up next to you every single morning and go to sleep holding you in my arms."

The minister continued as I swiped away the tear that was threatening to spill over.  "Do you, Byun Baekhyun, take Park Chanyeol as your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"I do." I said loudly.  Chanyeol smiled even wider.

The minister turned to Chanyeol, "And do you, Park Chanyeol, take Byun Baekhyun as your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"Absoluately, I do." Chanyeol immediately responded. It earned a few chuckles from the friends and family watching.

"Please exchange rings."  Kai stepped forward and handed Chanyeol the rings.

Chanyeol took a step forward, grabbing my hand and sliding the ring on my fourth finger.  I took the other ring from Chanyeol and slowly slid his ring onto his ring finger.

"You may now kiss the groom." The minister announced.

Chanyeol leaned forward and I met him halfway.  Applause erupted from all around us as Chanyeol pulled me even closer, deepening the kiss.  When we broke apart, I couldn't stop smiling.  Everyone was still clapping as we walked back down the aisle as a married couple, waving at everyone.  Just before we exited, Chanyeol pumped his fist into the air.

 

 

We sat at the banquet table with fingers laced together as Kai finished his best man speech.  Everyone clapped as he sat down because it was incredibly moving and I resisted the strong urge to shed tears.

All of the speeches had been made and everyone was finishing up their meals before the cake was served.  So far, no one had gotten into a fight, which was of great relief to me, and any drama that friends had brought to the wedding had dissipated. 

"And now the happy couple will have their first dance.  The first of many dance to come in the rest of their married lives." The DJ announced after Kyungsoo had gone over to his little station.

Everyone applauded and Chanyeol's head hung as blush flooded his cheeks. I stood up and grabbed his hand, leading him to the dance floor.

"You better not mess this up." I warned, in a lightly teasing manner.  Chanyeol had always had two left feet.

"I practiced and practiced just for you." He said lowly, gripping my hips as I put my arms around his shoulders.

"Good.  I love you, Park Chanyeol." I whispered as the music began to play.

"Well I hope so, or else this whole marriage thing might not work out." He said, a smile playing on his lips.

I lightly hit his shoulder, "Yeol.  We have been married for barely 3 hours, now is not the time to be joking. You are ruining the moment."  He had a tendency to do that.

He brought our foreheads together, "I love you, too.  Byun.  Baek.  Hyun."

I felt myself smile, "Kiss me, you gigantic dork."  He was my gigantic dork.

He leaned down further and softly kissed me as everyone in the room began clapping again.  Someone whooped, encouraging Chanyeol to pull me even closer while he smiled against my lips.

He pulled back and looked me in the eyes, "I'm really glad that you wanted tuna salad."

I paused.  He remembered how we met.  He remembered that I was being dramatic.  I smiled at him, "I'm glad that you let me hide with you, and then pinky swore me into being best friends with you."

Chanyeol took a hand off my hip and offered his pinky, "Promise to love me forever."

I tilted my head at him.  I took my hand off of his shoulder and linked it with his. "Pinky promise." I said as I pressed my thumb against his. "Well, we should've just done this, we wouldn't have had to pay all that money for a wedding."

"Was it perfect?" He asked as we returned to our previous position.

"Yes.  As it turns out, I only needed you." I hugged him as we swayed to the music.

The song ended and we made our way off the dance floor; the next song was a line dance and everyone was flocking to the floor.

We sat watching all the people we loved laughing and pointing out mistakes being made.  I leaned against Chanyeol, resting my head on his shoulder.  We wound our fingers together.  Although no words passed between the two of us, it was the kind of silence that said everything for us.

 

 

THE END.